SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Gas Pedals" Yea or Nay?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Gas Pedals" Yea or Nay? Login/Join 
posted
So I have been seeing some references for a replacement take down lever for the 320 (and other guns, too) that is being called a "gas pedal". It serves as a grip enhancement tool which uses an "oppositional grip". I know these are in use on competition pistols but there seems to be a growing use on carry guns now. I already know that they are not holster friendly so thats a big drawback.
Anyone using a gas pedal?
What about it changes grip technique? If it does?
Has it increased your accuracy?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Unnecessary, as far as I'm concerned.

Q

Posts: 26297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Armory Craft Sport Lever; it’s a much lower profile but still gives a nice thumb rest. Fits most holsters too.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Never felt the need & feel they look lame.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I put one on my Limited gun some years back. Three stages into the first match I took it off. Not for me.

I sure as hell wouldn't want one on a "real gun". (non target/match use)

Posts: 21085 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LMLarsen:
Take a look at the Armory Craft Sport Lever; it’s a much lower profile but still gives a nice thumb rest. Fits most holsters too.

Agreed. I have them on all my 320s and are, in my opinion, a worthy upgrade. Nice thumb rest but not too big. Well made product.

Posts: 1358 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be more specific, I have been looking at the one Sig offers on their website for 52 bucks. It is not quite as large or pronounced as some I have seen on raceguns. Sig even claims it is more or less holsterable. The Armory Craft model is smaller still.

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
No need

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are you in your skills today and where do you want to be? The odds are that for most people, spending more time on improving your existing grip (strength AND technique) will yield better results that are transferable to other guns. For the minority that remains, maybe there is some gain there. Gas pedal type devices have been in wide use in competition for a long time.

It's also worth considering whether your holsters will accommodate such a device.

Posts: 5148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It's a competition race gun part for a high grip with both thumbs touching. It apparently helps the top 10% of shooters get the front sight back down sooner for faster repeat shots on the clock.

High grips cause issues with slide function having the thumbs near the slide lock. Nothing more than a stage or target on a range, a malfunction in self defense is something else.

Competition parts aren't going to fail to help if the investment in extensive practice at the range goes along with it - at that level it's 6-10K rounds a year before matches. On the street the cool gear can cause issues that were unforeseen or undesirable.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For shooters in the top few percentile range of shooting skill, it might help them eek an extra few tenths of a second off follow-on shots.

For everyone else, it'd just be introducing another route for undesired grip input, which is a major factor in accuracy issues with many shooters.

Posts: 32473 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say its more for speed than accuracy. With that said I dont like them and dont consider it useful unless its a racegun and you need that extra incredibly minute quartersecond. Real world application, I think the holstering issue is the big thing that sticks out but more importantly the effect on you changing your grip and how you put pressure on the gun is an issue. I would also think that anything small enough to be holstered would also be too small to use as a lever and ledge especially while shooting at speed.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the "it will fit your holster after you modify it" thing is a major drawback. Most seem overpriced, too. After due consideration and after all of your input, I will pass on it.
Thanks for the feedback!
I have a 320F thats a range gun mainly, so I might put the Armory Craft one on later. Maybe.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
For me it would be a nice "memory spot" to help make a consistent grip. That's about it.

Posts: 10847 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago i put a oversized magazine release,take down,and slide release on a Glock 21,soon after i questioned the practicality, they all seemed to stick out too far. For everyday carry i want everything relatively snagfree.

Posts: 95 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're rocking a 2011 in competition and trying to keep your thumb off the slide, yes.

On anything else (especially carry guns), no.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incoherent
posted Hide Post
Some of these older posts have misinformation. There is only one "Gas Pedal" brand as it is registered trademark. The P320 and P365 are primarily for self defense as it makes more efficient grip much easier. Police officers and SWAT teams use them.True the Gas Pedal brand, in racing models, has dominated USPSA competition, but the P320 is primarily for self defense. BTW it does not inhibit slide movement, there is high Wing that makes higher grip possible and prevents thumb from touching slide.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 12, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got rid of mine (2). It was the authentic gas pedal for the guy above, lol. It looked stupid. It did do roughly what they claim it does. I am nowhere near good enough to accept the trade offs though.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 320fan:
Some of these older posts have misinformation.
Not the best approach, especially on your first post.

You may want to identify yourself for the benefit of the members.

Posts: 107407 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not for me

P226r Extreme, P226 TACOPS, M11-A1, P220 Elite Full Size

Posts: 30 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: January 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post