SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Legal implications of aftermarket triggers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal implications of aftermarket triggers Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
People read too many Ayoob articles that deal with "hair trigger". Oh yes, I know he's a member here.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
People read too many Ayoob articles that deal with "hair trigger". Oh yes, I know he's a member here.

It's very possible Ayoob had it right in the 90s.

These days though, that horse has left the barn.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

It's very possible Ayoob had it right in the 90s.

These days though, that horse has left the barn.

He was still peddling it as of 2018, https://www.personaldefensewor...ob-gun-hair-trigger/. Read the rebuttal in the Comment section.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
All of the cases Ayoob sites feature an unintentional discharge. I'm not aware of a case where a good shoot ended up in prosecution due to trigger mods.

The logic in all the AD cases is that the shooter acted negligently in modifying the trigger (or cocking the hammer) creating an unsafe situation that then resulted in an ND into a person.

Posts: 261 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I would not worry in the least about using a quality aftermarket trigger on a carry gun.

On the other hand, are you sure that your better performance with the XL is due to the trigger and not just the significantly larger size/barrel/sight radius of the XL?

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO this is all worrying about nothing. Remember the Miranda Rights Warning. Rule One is to keep your mouth shut and don't say ANYTHING. Heck, don't even tell your Lawyer that your trigger has been "tuned". Because there may be very limited number of armorers in the country who could actually spot a modified trigger and most DA's won't even have a clue that a trigger can be "improved". As a result 99.9% of the time the only thing done to a gun used for Defense is to take an electric pencil to the gun to engrave it with a property ID number. Heck, I'm willing to bet that there are lots and lots of Property Clerks out there who can't even tell the difference between a 1911 and a P08 Luger. If you think they'll spot an "improved" trigger you are dreaming.

The bottomline on this is simple. If the Police ask you about your gun you either say "cannot speak to this without the advice of my lawyer" or tell them you got the gun from Cabela's or Bass Pro and it came in a factory box for the gun with the trigger lock and all the paperwork. In simple terms keep your mouth shut and it will never come up at trial.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Pretty much anyone participating in any gun content on the internet knows about trigger modifications. You're telling me that trained, experienced armorers who do forensic gun examination / analysis don't? I find that hard to believe.

This is especially true when a fair number of trigger modifications include trigger blade replacements that don't look like stock triggers. You think an examiner who's likely handled countless numbers of Glocks coming through his lab won't notice that the trigger on the current Glock he's running through the mill has a trigger that doesn't look like a stock Glock trigger? Again, I find that hard to believe.

quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
IMO this is all worrying about nothing. Remember the Miranda Rights Warning. Rule One is to keep your mouth shut and don't say ANYTHING. Heck, don't even tell your Lawyer that your trigger has been "tuned". Because there may be very limited number of armorers in the country who could actually spot a modified trigger and most DA's won't even have a clue that a trigger can be "improved". As a result 99.9% of the time the only thing done to a gun used for Defense is to take an electric pencil to the gun to engrave it with a property ID number. Heck, I'm willing to bet that there are lots and lots of Property Clerks out there who can't even tell the difference between a 1911 and a P08 Luger. If you think they'll spot an "improved" trigger you are dreaming.

The bottomline on this is simple. If the Police ask you about your gun you either say "cannot speak to this without the advice of my lawyer" or tell them you got the gun from Cabela's or Bass Pro and it came in a factory box for the gun with the trigger lock and all the paperwork. In simple terms keep your mouth shut and it will never come up at trial.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bottomline on this is simple. If the Police ask you about your gun you either say "cannot speak to this without the advice of my lawyer"

This in spades, lose lips sink ships so to speak, would imagine that you'd have a problem if you opened up your mouth to the police and told them "it was an accident, I didn't mean it, the gun just went off" vs self defense.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
...Because there may be very limited number of armorers in the country who could actually spot a modified trigger and most DA's won't even have a clue that a trigger can be "improved"...

Our state crime lab has a reference library of thousands of guns. Thousands. They constantly add to their collection. There are plenty of people out there willing to be experts for a fee. There is data from manufacturers that is likely admissible as an exception to the hearsay rule as business records.

It is foolish to assume that the pool of people qualified to determine whether a gun has been modified is small or exclusive.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post