SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For those that have G10 grips on p226/229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those that have G10 grips on p226/229 Login/Join 
Picture of gas226
posted
I’m looking for a better grip surface on my P226. I currently have talon grip tape which is like skate board tape but with humidity and sweat in Florida they don’t last long. Are the houge piranha or chain link more or less aggressive than Talon/skateboard tape.

Thanks

Posts: 432 | Location: Miami | Registered: August 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
To me, less grippy yet still very effective.

I use Hogue G10s on a P229 but also have a set of grips on a P225 that a previous owner fitted with some sort of tape-equipped grip panels. I like them, too, but prefer G10s.

Edited to add: I initially overlooked your mention of specific grip patterns - the ones on my 229 are, for lack of a better description, “standard” G10s; my apologies.

Edited yet again: adding photos just for info.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gas226
posted Hide Post
Those grip tape panels are almost exactly the same I have. The G10 probably feel better but which would provide better grip. I will put this in my range gun for USPSA or local 2 gun competition.

Posts: 432 | Location: Miami | Registered: August 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
For me, the taped ones are a better gripping surface. For concealed-carry, it’s not that the tape has posed a problem thus far, I just prefer the G10s.

As I also just “want it all” (haha), I’m also a fan of the stock grips these guns normally came with. My P229 didn’t, so the G10s were the next best step for me. With the factory panels, I’m prone to slap some skateboard / stair-safety tape on the grip frame frontstrap and move on.

I’ve had the same thought you mentioned about the taped 225 panels, like “what do I do when these things wear-out?” I’ll probably put the factory panels back on and go the taped frontstrap route. The serrations on this era of SIGs are completely ineffective for me.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I have everything in hogue std checkered and Piranha textures and prefer the Piranhas.
The checkered pattern has a more traditional look but the Piranhas are more grippy but less aggressive feeling.
The order of aggression imo is checkers then piranhas then chainlink being the most aggressive.

The joy of G10 is that if an area is too aggressive you can lightly sand then then spray light oil on then and they look like new again.

Also something else that just came to mind was the checkered G-10's were bad about collection white lint off my t-shirts and cleaning rags which was hard to remove. A small problem I know but still annoying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mustang-PaPa,

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
For casual plinking, I like the “Checkered” G10 (slightly more aggressive than tape) but for sport, the “Piranha” G10 provides even greater stability (slightly more aggressive than checkered). I have heard the Piranha texture described as - I could stick my hand in a tub of lard and still effectively control the gun. I am wanting to try the new “Contour Classic” that Hogue just released but from the pics and what I have heard is they have an “Inverse Checkered” texture that is between tape and Checkered in aggressiveness.

I love the feel and look of wood… especially the walnut used by KN. But, if you have ever picked up a wet 2X4, you know how wood grips perform when wet.

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gas226
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Should love to get feedback on the chain link pattern. For me this would be a strict range/comp gun so no concealed carry. The talos/grip tape is fine but no real way to clean and get clogged up after a couple of months..

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The skateboard type grip tape I find on guns is comparable to 60-80 grit sandpaper. I've never come across any grip panels or stipple jobs that are courser than that.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gas226
posted Hide Post
60-80 sounds about right. The only problem is that it goes to 200-300 grit pretty fast.