SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1st post: Need advice on two new P238 Trigger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st post: Need advice on two new P238 Trigger Login/Join 
posted
Greetings,

My wife and I purchased two new P238s. Very happy to find this forum.

We have shot only 1911 design guns through the years so when it comes to small compact guns, the P238 is a natural choice.

We are thrilled except for one issue.

Mine has a fantastic trigger - smooth, breaks at just sub 8 lbs. My wife's had a trigger that was inconsistent and it would break nicely at times, and at others times, has a bit of creep. The break varied between 8 to 13 lbs. So off to the Sig armory for warranty work. To Sig's credit, the P238 was returned in less than a week. It looked like a 24 hour turnaround.

The trigger is now relatively consistently ranging from 7 to 8 lbs in pull. However, the gritty creep got worse is also now consistent and quite unpleasant - nothing like my other P238.

Questions:
1. What are my options? I am not sure that Sig will care to take it back again.

2. What would a trigger job at a gunsmith normally run for something like this? I hate to put out more $ after purchasing a couple of P238s but it is something worth considering if the trigger can be improved significantly.

Granted, if we only purchase one P238, we would not have known the difference. So I am grateful that we did get one with a nice trigger as a basis for what is possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Smile

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 11, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are my options? I am not sure that Sig will care to take it back again.

That's what I would do. Tell them exactly what's going on. There are no reasons they won't have it back.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
But, if you want to go all out and spend to get a superior action that the factory cannot provide, try Robert Burke (aka The Sig Armorer).

https://www.thesigarmorer.com/product/238-cla/#sights

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Pluses for the SigArmourer. I’ve got 2 938s that Robert did for me. All that grit goes away and we ended up with something like 5-6 pound pulls.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, I prefer a slightly heavier trigger pull on smaller or "pocket size" pistols. YMMV. And ++++ for Burke and his shop.
Welcome to SigForum!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
^^^^^^
Pluses for the SigArmourer. I’ve got 2 938s that Robert did for me. All that grit goes away and we ended up with something like 5-6 pound pulls.

Robert also worked over a 938 for me, highly recommended.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
First, welcome to SIGforum!

And, as member 12131 said, send it back to SIG again. But call first. I have the the following info for SIG Customer Service:

(603) 610-3000, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-6pm ET

I have a P238 myself. It has an excellent trigger for such an inexpensive pistol. And it’s been 100% reliable after a few cycling issues in the first 200 rounds.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the advice to a newbie to Sig. I'm not sure if Sig will be keen to take it back but I'll try.

Thanks also for the recommendation for Robert. I see that his cost for a trigger job is $270? That's a bit spendy for our budget - over 40% of the cost of the new P238 itself. Do thank you all for the comments.

posted Hide Post
Just FYI in case any care to know. I received a voice mail from Sig today, asking how the repairs went. I'll refer them to this thread and see how it goes.

Thanks again all for your informed responses.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LearningAlways:
Greetings,

My wife and I purchased two new P238s. Very happy to find this forum.

We have shot only 1911 design guns through the years so when it comes to small compact guns, the P238 is a natural choice.

We are thrilled except for one issue.

Mine has a fantastic trigger - smooth, breaks at just sub 8 lbs. My wife's had a trigger that was inconsistent and it would break nicely at times, and at others times, has a bit of creep. The break varied between 8 to 13 lbs. So off to the Sig armory for warranty work. To Sig's credit, the P238 was returned in less than a week. It looked like a 24 hour turnaround.

The trigger is now relatively consistently ranging from 7 to 8 lbs in pull. However, the gritty creep got worse is also now consistent and quite unpleasant - nothing like my other P238.

Questions:
1. What are my options? I am not sure that Sig will care to take it back again.

2. What would a trigger job at a gunsmith normally run for something like this? I hate to put out more $ after purchasing a couple of P238s but it is something worth considering if the trigger can be improved significantly.

Granted, if we only purchase one P238, we would not have known the difference. So I am grateful that we did get one with a nice trigger as a basis for what is possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Smile

ps: Our full sized 1911s are 4 lbs trigger with glassy breaks. We don't expect the P238 to ever achieve that type of trigger but the 'good' P238 does have a nice trigger.