SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New (to me) Ruger P89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (to me) Ruger P89 Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted
Many years ago I used to have a Ruger P944 (P94 in .40 cal). It was the first handgun I purchased myself. It was big and awkward and honestly I didn’t take to it. Lately however I’ve had a nostalgic hankering for one of those seemingly indestructible tank of a pistol.

Browsing gunbroker last week I ran across what appeared to be a decent P89. The price was $220 and I thought what the heck. It arrived at my FFL Friday and I had the opportunity to run a few rounds through it at my MILs house this weekend.

I understand the accuracy of these was hit or miss until late in the production run. Guess I got lucky on this one as its pretty accurate. Heres 10 rounds I put in the targets head from about 30 feet (came with one 15 round mag but I was shooting 10 rounds at a time to conserve ammo for my wife who was practicing with her M&P Shield. All the holes not in the head are hers).

I recall seeing some posts here quite some time ago about some Ruger P-series love but wanted to see if there were any fans still around. In particular I believe vthoky had one he regretted selling. Vthoky, if you want to email me the serial number of the one that got away (if you have it) I’ll check mine to see if, by a one in a million chance, this is it.

So, any fans of this apocalyptic surviving pistol or series? Love to hear your experience- good and bad - with them.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6733 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a great line of pistols that Ruger had to drop due to many people sold on the striker guns. The Ruger P series is safer, durable and now a good choice as a used gun. Hope you enjoy! BTW, does Ruger still repair these guns??

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My very first firearm was the P89, couldn't afford Sigs, which were more than twice the price. Sure, it's clunky, rattles when I shake it, but it eats everything, and accuracy is decent. I still have it (along with a PC-9 rifle). I have no plans on selling it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
it's clunky, rattles when I shake it, but it eats everything, and accuracy is decent.

That's the way I remember mine. I still kick myself for selling it. I found another at a local shop a week ago, but its price was way out of line.

quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
In particular I believe vthoky had one he regretted selling. Vthoky, if you want to email me the serial number of the one that got away (if you have it) I’ll check mine to see if, by a one in a million chance, this is it.

Holy smokes, mojo! Guess what! Nah, just kidding... yours isn't the one I had. Mine didn't have the rubber grip. (Wouldn't that be something, though, if mine had traveled to the state just next door!). Cool

Congratulations on your find! I'll have to look through the boxes here and see if I still have any magazines for it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I still own a P-85, I'll never let it go.

Like most Rugers, it's as tough as a hammer and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's still lots of love left for the P-Series Rugers in this man's heart. Have 2 P93s (one blue DC, and a stainless DAO). Had a P-85 that I let go of in the mid 1990s and still regret it. As ergonomic as a brick but they go bang every single time.

Posts: 14 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: October 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a later one and it is a tac driver , I will keep it . I still pick up a new mag when I see them and have a Desantis blk leather holster for it .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Love the old P-series center fire Rugers.

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
The Ruger P89 was the first pistol I ever bought, way back in like 1990 maybe. Wish I had kept it.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My first semi auto was a P85. Still have it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use to compete in steel matches with my P89. It is a great performer.

Even though I switched to a M&P Pro I still will never part with the P89.

I find it to be good for introducing new pistol shooters. I always start with .22lr and work up. The heavy P89 mitigates recoil well.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truly one of (if not the) most underrated pistols in existence.
I bought my P89 in 1993 and it will be one of the last guns I ever sell. I also picked up a P95 and it has been a great gun as well. It's endured a ton of Sub-Gun ammo and just comes back for more.
I always find it funny that everyone thinks that the P89s are so heavy.
The P89 weighs 32 ounces unloaded.... 2 ounces less than a SIG P226.
OP, your gun looks like one of the two-tone Davidson's special editions that Ruger made only for them in the mid 1990s. The Hogues are indeed the original grips. Nice find at a great price!

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakota Slim:
OP, your gun looks like one of the two-tone Davidson's special editions that Ruger made only for them in the mid 1990s. The Hogues are indeed the original grips. Nice find at a great price!

Thanks. And thank you for that info. I wasn’t aware of such a special edition. Did some research and it does look like it, although the Davidson special editions (P89TH?) had hogue grips with the Ruger logo. Mine are just hogue grips. replacements? Who knows with a gun that’s 22 years old (1997 manufacturer date from the serial number). Regardless I’m very happy with this pistol!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6733 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
My first semiauto was a P85 in ‘88 or ‘89, which I traded for a KP89DC a few years later because I liked the stainless and the decocker. I still have that one. Used to compete a little with it in NW Florida and even carried it a lot until I started procuring other guns. They are built like tanks.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got photo bucket to upload this pic. I sent mine to a gunsmith who reblued the slide, installed night sights, and re-colored the white and red for safety and fire.

We haven’t mentioned that these pistols were also 100% ambi. They should have been adopted into the military.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ALLEGRO1957
posted Hide Post
Bought my P89 around 1996 as my first semiauto. It shot great and other than the first pull was very easy to shoot. As others I moved on to the "dark side" but I never got rid of the 89.

I always felt like that if I ran out of ammo in "social work" I would always beat the Hell out of them with the robustness of the Ruger.

Be a productive citizen but always be prepared

Posts: 43 | Registered: October 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post