SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 7 round vs. 8 round mag reliability

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
P220 7 round vs. 8 round mag reliability Login/Join 
Uppity Helot
posted
I have a used Sig P220 inbound. Smile

Are the factory (not ACt) 8-round magazines equally reliable to their factory 7-round counterparts?

Thanks,
Divil

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I have a used Sig P220 inbound. Smile

Are the factory (not ACt) 8-round magazines equally reliable to their factory 7-round counterparts?

Thanks,
Divil

Yes.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have 8 rounders for most of my 220's and they function perfectly.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:

Yes.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the above posters as well that the 8 rounders are reliable in the P220.
It seems that Sig and its counterparts supplying the magazines, hit upon a technical breakthrough that the 1911 platform still struggles with.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
It seems that Sig and its counterparts supplying the magazines, hit upon a technical breakthrough that the 1911 platform still struggles with.

I think the breakthrough is that the 8 round 220 is not flush fit. Many (not all) 8 round 1911 mags are stuffing 8 into a flush length 7 round tube.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for yes... my factory 8 rounders have never failed me through thousands of rounds over years of use, carry, quals, schools. etc.,

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
The most current 8 round mags are the most reliable, next would be the older 7 rnd mags, then the not as recent 8 round mags. I believe, according to my Masad Ayoob Sig Sauer book, the only P220 mags that caused any problems at all were some of the very early 8 round mags.

Random interweb picture, most current P220 8 rnd mag is the one on the right, with the little pressed in notch on the side, upper, rear by the "2". The other 2 mags in this picture do not have the notch but are fairly recent production I believe.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to agree with the above posters as well that the 8 rounders are reliable in the P220.

All of my 8 round 1911 magazines work 100%???

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The first factory P220 magazines capable of holding eight rounds accomplished that feat by means of a different follower while using the same seven round tubes and flush fit metal floor plates. Those magazines were problematic if fully loaded with eight rounds, and were evidently offered for only a short time. The current eight round mags with extended plastic floor plates work fine.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 220 made in the early 1990s. Was reliable with the 8 round and the 10 round magazines.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Report This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

All of my 8 round 1911 magazines work 100%???

As do mine. I think I only own 1 or 2 7rd mags and they have never been in the gun.
I don't have experience with a bunch of brands, I have a pile of Wilson 47Ds.

I didn't even know there was a 7rd mag for a 220 until I saw one for sale. ALL mine are 8 rders and they too have been 100%.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind, up until this point, we have been referring to Sig Sauer factory P220 mags. I believe you could infer the same for any mags from Mecgar (since they are the ones that make Sig factory mags).

I have very little experience with magazines from other manufacturers made to be used in Sig P220 pistols. I personally stay away from them.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Report This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Regarding my question: It looks the the overwheming consensus is yes. Thanks for your replies.

I am glad all but the early 8-round flush 220 mags seem to enjoy a reliable reputation. My inbound P220 will come with 3 7-rounders but it looks like I can gradually ( as the budget allows) acquire 8-round magazines in the present form without functional worry.

In my .45 1911's I only use flush fitting 7-round magazines or 8-rounders that are in a slightly longer tube. It seems like the same principle will apply to my 220 magazines.

Thanks again,

Divil

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Report This Post
Picture of hctr154
posted Hide Post
I know the the OP stated non-ACT 8 rounders, but those are all I've ever used. Can't fault them at all. 100% reliable and high quality.

Posts: 334 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: February 17, 2011Report This Post