SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ SP-01 SAO Conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ SP-01 SAO Conversion Login/Join 
posted
Kicking around the idea of converting my SP-01 to SAO. I've shied away from SA/DA handguns, but this was part of a trade I accepted. I'm thinking of maybe converting it to SAO and wanted some input from others who have done the conversion or run another CZ in single. I'm curious if you're happy with it. What's strange is the CZ gurus based in northern Louisiana actually dont recommend it for self defense or EDC. Strange because cocked and locked weapons have been carried for over a century now in God's caliber. I would also appreciate your thoughts on the complexity of the job if you were to attempt it yourself.

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of converting them, but I have a P01 Omega, which can be swapped from DA/SA to DAO with a safety. Ultimately I did not care for the feel of the safety and left mine DA/SA. It just not was 1911ish enough.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few different types of handgun actions: striker, DA/SA, SAO [and then revolvers].

I got a SP-01 but, due to my hands, I never felt comfortable with it in DA mode, as the trigger reach required me to shift my grip a bit between the DA and SA shots. I don't want to do that in any defensive situation.

I also couldn't sweep the thumb safety either on or off without rolling the handgun in my right hand.

So, I got a short reach SAO trigger from some company in Europe and I got that huge shelf of a safety made by czcustom.

I left the DA interrupter in the pistol, so that any future change back to DA/SA requires only the trigger. [I also installed CGW's short reset trigger job]

Now, it is almost as natural in my hand as a 1911 or BHP.

I am in California, so this was something to do for fun. I am limited to 10 rounds in everything.

I haven't shot it yet, as I get to a range about once every 3-4 months, and last time I was working on my P220 .38Super.

I expect it to work great.

I know many don't like C/L SA handguns for EDC/SD use, but I have no qualms about that.

Ok- complexity.

There are many guidelines out there. If you don't intend to do an action job at the same time, I would simply look for a slave pin from CGW or CZCustom, to insert into the sear block area. If you do this, the process should be really easy- just swapping the trigger out to a SAO trigger.

Most recommend removing the interrupter [which is connected to the hammer- so, not difficult to get to], but the people at CGW indicated that this was just a matter of removing what isn't used, so that there is 0% chance it could cause any issues. I don't notice any impact on the feel.

The key is- do you just want SAO, or do you also want to upgrade the action?

If you are interested in upgrading the action, the DA/SA SP01 is relatively easy to do the CGW trigger job setup, and you have to pull those components while doing the trigger swap anyway.

BTW, I've done the CGW trigger job in 3 CZ pistols now. After I got the SP01 set up as described, I lucked into a used SP01 Tactical [my first preference], and also have a 75D PCR. Nice pistols!

However, I like 1911s better, and the ergos on the BHP fit me better, even with that horrible reset and longer trigger pull.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thx lots my friend, huge help.

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve converted many CZs to single action. Much prefer cocked and locked for competition and self defense.

Posts: 301 | Registered: November 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have converted a few, and much prefer them in SAO. For me, the CZ75, 97, are damn near unusable in DA mode with the trigger reach. Get with CGW for the floating trigger pin, SA flat trigger, any other thing you may need.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very easy conversion. May I suggest an easier alternative. You can add the oversized safety lever in about 3 or 4 minutes. Then carry/use the gun just like a single action but you get second strike capabilities if needed. The downside is keeping the curved trigger. If you prefer the straight trigger, the single action conversion would make the most sense.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Not a conversion. This SP-01 shadow was ordered from the custom shop with SA & straight trigger..
I like DA/SA on Berettas & Sigs but for some quirky reason, not on CZ's.
It is such a smooth & fast shooter! I have to slow down shooting falling plates because the recoil is so mild & the trigger is so smooth & quick that I wind up double tapping plates because they haven't had time to fall from the first shot.
Straight or curved trigger would be your personal choice but going to SA I think you'd never look back.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW, I bought my SAO trigger from a company in Europe. Zendl is the maker.

They offer two versions: standard SAO and Back-Shifted. I got the Back-Shifted, as it moves the 'reach' to the rear about 2.5mm.

Unfortunately, the only color in the style I wanted was gold- but, it adds a different look.

I saw it available on eBay also. Just fyi.

No pics- yet. Need to wait for the new grips, to do it once only.

I was just now viewing the CZ usa website for all the pistols I can't get in California, and realize that the Zendl trigger looks similar to the CZ TS series triggers.

Here is a pic:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bczrx,

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
Kicking around the idea of converting my SP-01 to SAO. I've shied away from SA/DA handguns, but this was part of a trade I accepted. I'm thinking of maybe converting it to SAO and wanted some input from others who have done the conversion or run another CZ in single. I'm curious if you're happy with it. What's strange is the CZ gurus based in northern Louisiana actually dont recommend it for self defense or EDC. Strange because cocked and locked weapons have been carried for over a century now in God's caliber. I would also appreciate your thoughts on the complexity of the job if you were to attempt it yourself.

I didn't attempt it myself. But I ALWAYS wanted a satin S/S cz 75B and only saw 1 in real life. When they discontinued them, I saw CZ custom had one. I had them convert it to SAO (I already own a stock cz 75 SA) and work their magic on it. I own an Ed Brown and a WC, and the CZ Custom is amazing and right up there with those 2, excellent trigger on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post