SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I tried handgun hunting yesterday and it is not for me. (Warning hunting pics inside)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I tried handgun hunting yesterday and it is not for me. (Warning hunting pics inside) Login/Join 
posted
My annual hunt with my brother and family was a success. We had 4 shooters and got 4 hogs. It was a tough hunt though. I used my 10mm Glock 40 MOS with red dot and my 300blk with my hand loaded ammo as backup. This big boy took two 10mm rds and kept going. My brother and I tracked him for about 30 mins before we found him mad as hell. He charged us from a palmetto thicket and was so fast that I missed a shot with my rifle from 6 feet away. I tracked him for 10 more mins and found him under another thicket. This time I took a well aimed shot from about 30 yards with my 300blk that dropped him on the spot. That was my first and last time using a pistol for hunting. It was not fast and humane enough for me.

He is at the processor now for sausage, Boston butt, bone-in chops, and bone out chops. I took the tenderloin home and cooked it this morning. My good was it good.

Look at the cutters on this guy. He weighed more than me as well.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me

Posts: 49 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Nice,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an adventure!!!!! Glad you put him out of his misery and got some good meat.

Posts: 4063 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You had some fun there Smile

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Love your hunt pics. Keep them coming.

Lovin' that AR!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
What load in the 10mm and 300 Boo?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pig ! You're going to love that meat all Winter.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Ive read those porkers can be stubborn to put down. Your short rifle is tech.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Did the thick shoulders take the 10mm shots? That would explain the 10mm shots not putting him down. Like T34 tanks with that front armor.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Of all the hunting I've done in my life, I've yet to do it right with hogs. I tried once and never could connect on a military base hunt. Some day for sure.

Out of curiosity, what 10mm round were you using?

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Great hunt story and a fine food ending. Wondering where the 10mm rounds hit and type of ammo used?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I envy those of you who go hog hunting. I'd love to do it. Nice job!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29708 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What kind of round did you use in the 10mm and might as well tell us the round in the BO as well.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11289 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
So, you got to go out in the woods and shoot moving targets with family, get a little exercise, eat good, and put some tasty meat away that should last you for a little while...sounds like a fine day to me! Cool

Always enjoy your posts and hunting pics!

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Agreed! I've done some small game and big game hunting, but I've never done any hunting for Porky Pig. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to hog hunt, but there is something about that that really appeals to me. Thinking about filling a freezer with bacon just makes me smile.

I've got a buddy of mine who swears they used to go hog hunting in Texas using only knives, but I'm still not sure I believe him.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
So, you got to go out in the woods and shoot moving targets with family, get a little exercise, eat good, and put some tasty meat away that should last you for a little while...sounds like a fine day to me! Cool

Always enjoy your posts and hunting pics!

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Agreed! I've done some small game and big game hunting, but I've never done any hunting for Porky Pig. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to hog hunt, but there is something about that that really appeals to me. Thinking about filling a freezer with bacon just makes me smile.

I've got a buddy of mine who swears they used to go hog hunting in Texas using only knives, but I'm still not sure I believe him.
knives AND dogs. Hounds trail the pig til he is cornered or just gives in and is ready to fight, catch dogs (pits, curs, etc.) bay the pig, grab an ear or a leg and lock him down, then you can go right up and kill him with a knife. Not something I ever really want to do but that's how they do it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10490 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, that's the life. Cool

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, I need to get back into the field. Mind sharing your 10mm load and 300blk bullet with us? Nice pig!

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Nice Hog! Tough bastard though.

Posts: 3151 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I first moved to SC I was offered a chance to go hog hunting with handguns. I was able to borrow a S&W .460 magnum but in the end chickened out. I imagined missing, not a great revolver shot and having the hog charge me. Hog 1, shooter 0.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post