SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Disappointed in my Sig 320 Legion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointed in my Sig 320 Legion Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Over the last year or two I've learned and am still working on it, that your grip and finger placement is critical for more accurate shooting. I picked up a Glock 31 (big hawking pistol!) this week and took it to my gun club... I did not like where my finger went on the trigger.. not centered.... I think if I grip the gun higher it might help but for me did not feel right. Gun shot fine by my standards but not a tack driver... but as is normal... probably me.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The G32 is a very accurate pistol. I normally carry a G32 in the waistband, which is also quite accurate. The G31 seemed "big" when I first held one, but I quickly realized it's exactly the same size as a G17, which isn't very bit. Both are light.

Proper grip is one of the fundamentals of shooting a handgun. If the grip isn't there, then it takes a toll on every other aspect of shooting.

I received two Align Tactical offset extended magazine releases in the mail today, for the P320. I installed them on two full size models, both using the TXG grip (same as the P320 Legion). I ordered them to try them out and see if they did what is claimed. They do.

The mag releases sit just a bit higher on the frame, and enable a slightly higher grip, and they're extended just a bit, enabling activation more easily on the x-series grip module. For me, normally the release involves a slight rotation of the grip module in my hand; less so now with this new part. Well made, it does exactly what it's supposed to. In my opinion, a worthwhile addition. It also adds a broader surface to the mag release.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've actually never shot a full size 320, saw one at my FFL on Tuesday and was reminded that is one big pistol. when I was taking that course with my P320 compact a friend was shooting a full size one, he is a small man and that that made the pistol look even bigger. I 'think' I shoot better with a compact size pistol because of my hand's size.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The proper troubleshooting protocol, upon discovering the large group size, would be to bring the target in to 5 yards and shoot a 5 round group with the goal of consistency. The group would be recorded and a new target moved out another 5 yards. Repeat at 5 yard increments until the groups start to open up.

Once that distance is known, then it's time to determine if it's the shooter, ammo or the hardware. Likely, if you got very tight groups in the five yards before, then switching ammo may help. I would move it closer 5 yards, repeat the group, assess, and move to the marked distance. If you're seeing consistent group sizing, then likely it's not the ammo.

Good technique on sandbags should remove the shooter from the equation. If you're not sure, then put it into a shooting vice and run it that way.

It could just be a bad build. I recall that some S&W M&P's in 9mm had trouble past 15 yards (I think it was 15). They just wouldn't shoot well past that. I recall it had to do with early unlocking of the barrel in the firing sequence. A friend of mine had an unreliable Glock 19 out of the box. There was a significant burr in the chamber that took a 150 rounds to remove before the gun would run. It happens.

The main thing here is to document your testing process as much as possible. Call SIG for technical assistance and give them this information. They may know that they had a bad batch, or not, and will likely want to look at the gun. When I was a noob, I pounded out a 45 bullet from my P220's barrel. I mangled the inside of the barrel. I didn't notice any accuracy issues, but SIG replaced it when I sent it in for a broken hammer return spring. Their service has always been great. I expect that they'll want to inspect that gun and will certainly make it right.

Good luck!

Posts: 39 | Registered: February 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post