SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18Z50:
Yes. The hi-capacity Glock like pistol is the CCW of the present and future.

Eschew Tupperware! I'll stay with my Dan Wesson CCO 45acp!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Oh hell. First the DA/SA is dead, again, now the 1911 and revolvers too??!!?

Guess that only leaves the plastic striker fired guns with their shitty triggers. Damn. Im gonna go get me a sharp stick instead. Regards 18DAI

I know how you feel. Even worse, half my guns are chambered in the obsolete .40 S&W. As a result, I've already gone back to cap'n'ball revolvers. The smoke is just a minor inconvenience. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
When you have an angry pit that just jumped the fence you are might glad you had a service X/D 45 that needs not to be cocked or racked.
Just an old timers tip that lived to tell a few times Wink

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
For me it's a non-starter as a carry option, so the 1911 was never alive to begin with. I don't rightly care what others carry; I just stick with my yucky, icky Glocks. That's all that should matter.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
As a result, I've already gone back to cap'n'ball revolvers. The smoke is just a minor inconvenience. Smile

Nowadays that smoke would be called "tactical cover", perhaps giving you enough time to perform a "tactical reload" on your revolver Wink

I have carried a LW Commander in Super 38 a few times, but in the last few years I've modernized and started carrying my Hi Power.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, my 1911 Colt New Agent 45 type ,living in a comfy Ryan Grizzle IWB holster gets up each day singing the words from a recent Waylon Jennings tune..." I woke up not dead again today".

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
While I have several double stack polymer framed pistols, I've gone back to my roots and returned to the 1911 Commander size platform. A couple of single magazine pouches and I'm just fine with it.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correction, that is a Willie Nelson tune. Up too early.

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry glocks or Smith j frames usually, but I just hit the 1500 round mark on my Dan Wesson 9mm ECO. Flawless and wicked accurate. This fall, when i start wearing a coat again, I will carry it. Sig 115 defense ammo will be my carry round as I have put about 5 boxes of the stuff thru it.
So no , not dead, when I want to carry a semi, with a manual safety, it will be my go to.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Easy gun to shoot?

You're doomed!

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
In full disclosure, I do love the 1911 platform. I own a couple, and love shooting them.

However, in a world of polymer guns, and some of the great CCW guns like the Glock 43 or S&W Shield, is the 1911 on the way out as a carry weapon.

In addition, with all the newer polymer handguns, does anyone still pull their 1911 out as a combat / carry weapon.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:
In full disclosure, I do love the 1911 platform. I own a couple, and love shooting them.

However, in a world of polymer guns, and some of the great CCW guns like the Glock 43 or S&W Shield, is the 1911 on the way out as a carry weapon.

In addition, with all the newer polymer handguns, does anyone still pull their 1911 out as a combat / carry weapon.

You even broke out Walt for that one!!!! Yes it was a serious question. At my agency I see very few 1911's anymore. I have one of a handful left. Just posed the question to spark some conversation.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
The 1911's not dead.

It just smells funny.

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
You even broke out Walt for that one!!!!

The look on his face in that pic is perfect. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Not at all. I still carry a GCI commander in 9mm as my EDC weapon. I tried to like Glock (several times). I just can't get used to the grip angle. Tried to carry HK USP compact in 9mm. Too heavy and bulky for me. I rotate between my 1911
Commanders (9mm and .45 cal).

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock grip angle and 1911 grip angle...same. (nearly identical)

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
No.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Glock grip angle and 1911 grip angle...same.

I've seen articles on this. I don't care what the gun rags say, my wrist-o-meter says something different. The grip angle on a Glock feels closer to a revolver than to a 1911.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Someone will ask this question in another 100 years and I imagine they'll get the same answers. (If anyone is still here that is)

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Glock grip angle and 1911 grip angle...same. (nearly identical)

I wouldn't say even "nearly" identical. Here's why:

1) The red line, which I assume is the line that your trigger finer follows is different. (Sloped on the Glock, versus straight on the 1911.) . I assume this is what makes the Glock feel more "revolver-like."

2) . The "Glock hump". I'm not sure if this was supposed to make it emulate the MSH of a 1911 A1, but in my hand, a 1911 A1 feels almost the same as a 1911 with the flat MSH. The "Glock Hump" makes the grip feel like it's got a load bearing diaper.

I don't have any problem with Glocks. They are excellent, simple, and reliable tools that get a job done without asking much in return. (Perhaps just being thrown in the dishwasher once in a while. Wink ) If reliability and high capacity are your priority, Glock is your gun. However, if speed and accuracy are more important, I think a 1911 has an edge.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post