SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red dot options for P320-M17?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot options for P320-M17? Login/Join 
posted
Has Sig, or anyone else come out with a red dot that mounts to a P320-M17? As I understand it, the red dot designed for the military won't mount on the Civvie model. I'm just trying to learn what options are out there.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I can't keep up with all these things... but I do have a P320 with the factory Romeo site on it and it is the bees knees for shooting once you learn to aquire the dot.....

Not sure what the exact difference is with the 'm17' version but there has got to be a way or one coming... Seems some folks at sig believe red dots are the future on pistols....

Just went and checked the Sig web site... seems the M17 has a removable plate in front of the rear sight that will allow for some type of optic to be installed.... of which I would think one like the romeo would be available.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
The M17 is cut to fit the Leupold Delta Point Pro (DPP). Sig is releasing a Romeo1 with the same mounting patterns, the Romeo1P, so they can get in on the action.

Their recent "Pro Cut" slides have the DPP/R1P cut, so it looks like they're going that route for Duty/LE moving forward. The Professional (Pro) LE model is also cut for the DPP/R1P.

To my knowledge they haven't released any other optic cuts aside from their Romeo-equipped Rx guns, which is proprietary. Hopefully they wise up and phase out the unique mount.

The P365XL will be compatible with the Shield RMSc sight, which as far as mini red dots go is much narrower and smaller for the sub-compact guns like the M&P Shield and Glock 42/43. Sig is also releasing the RomeoZero, which is compatible with the RMSc mounting pattern.

Posts: 6033 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have a RMR on mine but I had to buy a mounting plate from springer precision. https://shop.springerprecision...ter-Plate-SP0245.htm

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoint ACRO P1 will fit with the M17 adapter plate also sold by Aimpoint. (All ACRO’s mount with a plate regardless of pistol type). Downside is I ordered mine near the end of April and don’t expect it for another few weeks.

Michael

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
The M17 is cut to fit the Leupold Delta Point Pro (DPP). Sig is releasing a Romeo1 with the same mounting patterns, the Romeo1P, so they can get in on the action.

Their recent "Pro Cut" slides have the DPP/R1P cut, so it looks like they're going that route for Duty/LE moving forward. The Professional (Pro) LE model is also cut for the DPP/R1P.

To my knowledge they haven't released any other optic cuts aside from their Romeo-equipped Rx guns, which is proprietary. Hopefully they wise up and phase out the unique mount.

The P365XL will be compatible with the Shield RMSc sight, which as far as mini red dots go is much narrower and smaller for the sub-compact guns like the M&P Shield and Glock 42/43. Sig is also releasing the RomeoZero, which is compatible with the RMSc mounting pattern.

The M17/M18 and newer X-Series are DPP cut with an optic plate /rear sight combo.

The Pro series, the newer VTac, and Pro-Cut shots are cut for DPP with separate rear irons.

The original P320 X-series is cut for the Romeo with an integrated optics plate /rear sight.

The P320 RX is cut for a Romeo but has an optics plate separate from the rear sights.

They're switching all their cuts to DPP, and as stated there is an M17 plate for the ACRO, but someone needs to start making optics plates for the RMR too.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcba_joe:
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:

The M17/M18 and newer X-Series are DPP cut with an optic plate /rear sight combo.

The Pro series, the newer VTac, and Pro-Cut shots are cut for DPP with separate rear irons.

The original P320 X-series is cut for the Romeo with an integrated optics plate /rear sight.

The P320 RX is cut for a Romeo but has an optics plate separate from the rear sights.

They're switching all their cuts to DPP, and as stated there is an M17 plate for the ACRO, but someone needs to start making optics plates for the RMR too.

You're using the term "plate" interchangeably between *cover plates* which only cover a milled slide that directly accepts an optic, and *adapter plates* that interface between the milled slide and adapt to a different optic (whether or not the rear sight is integrated notwithstanding).

This is one of the reasons people like the OP are getting confused about what options are available.

Sig does not make any RDS-capable pistols that rely on a plate system for mounting, and to my knowledge any mounting plates are third party.

Posts: 6033 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In one way the M17 is an odd duck. I can't think of any other gun that is milled for an optic that taking off the cover plate takes the rear sight with it. Sig calls it a night site plate. So what's on there is not purely a cover plate.
I think its covered above but I have used:
DPP on factory cut, you need DPP rear iron option to get backup irons.
RMR on springer plate, no chance of backup irons. otherwise works fine and well made.
Milled a commercial 320 slide for RMR directly using suppressor sights for irons and used it on the M17 frame.
I'm going to test the Aimpoint whenever they get around to shipping my backorder.
Of course you can also just use a 320 RX slide, but I haven't and probably won't.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Walther's slides that are milled for an optic lose the rear sight when the cover plate is removed.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The loss of the rear iron sight seems strange to me. When I removed the plate/cover...whatever, I was really surprised to see the rear sight come off with it.

After I thought about it I decided it isn’t a big deal for me and my intended purposes. I’m not making excuses for Sig here, but this is intended to be a nightstand gun for me which means any use will be damn near contact distance in my current residence. I’m pretty confident that if there is no dot, if I frame a body inside the window I’ll be putting holes in it. Also the Sig is a back up to my rifle anyway so we are talking about a lot of things having to fail before I’m sightless.

I will say that while the gun is an absolute joy to shoot, it failed to lock back on several different mags tonight. I’m not sure I’d the added weight of the RMR is not allowing the slide to fully move to the rear or what. I only fired one brand of 115gr range stuff today so I’m going to get some different stuff and try it. I’m not too worried. It cycled all the ammo just fine.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't know walther also did it. Seems dumb in both cases. Sig sent me an email today for slides milled for the DPP so you can add that to the list of options.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post