SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Remove 10rd capacity limit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remove 10rd capacity limit? Login/Join 
posted
Hello everybody,

Quick question: is it possible to modify the sig p250/p320 mags to hold more than 10 rds?

I live in Florida so it’s legal to hold more than 10 rds but one of my mags is limited to 10 vs the usual 13. It’s a .40 mag.

Since both the 13 and 10 rd mags are the same size, I assume that there is something restricting the load capacity that maybe can be removed?

It’s frustrating to be wasting that extra capacity on my sig magazine.
Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Is there a physical difference between your 10 and 13-round magazines? The 10-round magazines I own have a large indentation in the magazine tube that evidently prevents the follower from being pushed down far enough for additional cartridges.

I’ve never made an attempt to figure out for certain, but it seems to me that if the indentation were drilled out, that might increase the magazine capacity. (I believe, though, that might be easier envisioned than accomplished, but I could be wrong.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forum

Anything is possible if you throw enough time and money at it

The laws governing restricted capacity magazines require that the magazines are not easily convertible to full capacity magazine

The best thing you can do, is go and buy yourself some standard capacity magazines and then put your restricted capacity magazine up for sale in the classifieds so that a Fellow Forum member in one of the Draconian States can buy his/her spare magazines from you

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
If you really want to do it...and are willing to ruin the magazine in the process...you can drill out the indention; without collapsing the body. Then you'd have to clean up any "flash" inside the tube from the drilling.

If you need further instructions than the above, you really shouldn't' attempt it to begin with

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Is there a physical difference between your 10 and 13-round magazines? The 10-round magazines I own have a large indentation in the magazine tube that evidently prevents the follower from being pushed down far enough for additional cartridges.

I’ve never made an attempt to figure out for certain, but it seems to me that if the indentation were drilled out, that might increase the magazine capacity. (I believe, though, that might be easier envisioned than accomplished, but I could be wrong.)

I’ve done this on some 10 round P229 mags I accidentally bought. It works fine, but was WAY harder than I expected. I think the angle of the indention didn’t mesh well with the angle of the bit and it took forever and turned out pretty ugly. But they do work.

Posts: 15 | Registered: September 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You realize it’s a federal offense to.....,yeah, I’m just kidding. You are better off to try to sell them and just buy standard capacity mags.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You are better off to try to sell them and just buy standard capacity mags.

That's the best answer, right there. A gentleman and a scholar.....

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I agree.... buy new ones... except I would not sell the 10 rounders... personally; if traveling with the pistol I usually just take the lower capacity ones with me ... just in case I end up in the wrong state.... might not make a difference but who knows.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
There are members in states with mag restrictions that may purchase those mags. Put them up in the classifieds & buy new ones.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would keep what you have and buy new ones you never know when laws will change. My son lives in NJ and has my Sig P2022 with 15 rounders when NJ decided on 10 rounders. All of a sudden 10 rounders were really hard to find. I found him some and told him what to do with the 15's.

Save yours for a friend or if god forbid they do to FL. what they did to VA.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Converting can be the preferred way for hard to find mags, like the p224. In 9mm, 12s are harder to find and much much pricier than the 10s.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. Fantastic answers.

It's increasingly difficult to find full capacity mags and 10 rounders are sometimes 50% less expensive.

I'll keep things simple and leave the mags as they are.

Thank you again for all of your input.

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joshb10:
Hello everybody,

Quick question: is it possible to modify the sig p250/p320 mags to hold more than 10 rds?

Yes.

But make sure you block the inside of the mag so the sides are supported from collapse.

My experience has been to put dimples in the sides to reduce capacity to ten rounds, as SIG does. And yes, the sides are tough. I would start with small drills and work your way up.

But with ten rounders in demand, you're probably best selling them and buying new ones for yourself.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
There are members in states with mag restrictions that may purchase those mags.

Like me. Whaddya got? Full size? Compact? I'd take either one. Name your price.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
...if traveling with the pistol I usually just take the lower capacity ones with me ... just in case I end up in the wrong state.... might not make a difference but who knows.

I haven’t kept up with the various states’ laws recently, but I would suspect that any state with 10-rd limit doesn’t have reciprocity with other states, or at least not with states with greater than 10-rd limits, in which case your big problem is not having more than 10 rds; it’s having any firearm at all without a valid license for carrying it.

If you’re carrying a sidearm I would suggest it’s best not to “end up” in a state where you don’t know the CCP laws intimately.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I would just use them as training and range mags.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
I have several reduced capacity mags for my P320s. I use them as training magazines.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you’re carrying a sidearm I would suggest it’s best not to “end up” in a state where you don’t know the CCP laws intimately.

I am covered under the LEOSA Retired Officers umbrella. When I travel, I carry either my Glock 26 with 10 round mags or my 19s (now MR918s) with 10 round mags. If the plane I am on is diverted to a "commie" state, I want to be able to carry my gun while there - it might be a day or more before I can rearrange my flight schedule.

So yes, there is a reason to travel with limited capacity mags... just in case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't need LEOSA for this to be a concern. FOPA protects the gun while traveling through states that are unfriendly but several States have taken the position it doesn't protect mags or ammo (NJ on hollowpoints). I would always take 10 rd. mags given the choice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post