Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P224 9mm Login/Join 
Picture of jac1304
posted
If you have one would you buy it again or just pass. I vaguely remember some problems with the .40 s&w, but the 9mm was good. Toying with the idea of picking one up before they are gone.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
To give you an idea of how my observations may apply to you, I wear large gloves.

I have shot the DA/SA, DAK 9mm and .40 DAK versions. The DA pull felt much heavier than the DA pull on any other P series pistol I have shot. I have never measured it with a gauge. May be because of a difference in mechanical leverage with redesigned parts compared to the earlier P series pistols? SA, it felt the same as any other DA/SA SIG.

I prefer the trigger pull weight of the DAK over the standard DA pull and don't mind the longer trigger pull as I started out carrying revolvers.

I never had a problem shooting any of them accurately, but the grip is too short for my liking- my little finger is underneath the mag base. Because I was looking for a smaller CCW, I dealt with it.

I was late to the 320 party and picked up a 320sc (small) and compact (medium). The sc grip gave about 1/8" more grip than the 224. That little bit actually prevents my little finger from resting under the mag and feels slightly better in my hand, in this respect. It was somewhat uncomfortable being kind of squared off (reminded me of a 239 with factory grips). The medium grip fills my hand better and is more comfortable than the squarish feeling, small grip. The compact, medium grip almost provides a full grip for all my fingers and is about 1/4" from reaching the bottom of my hand at the heel. This actually fits my hand the best without giving up very much concealability. And, it gives me 2 extra rounds in 9mm.

With the striker system, the 320 is much easier to shoot than the 224, or any other P series pistol I have shot. I am more accurate with the 320 as well.

I did trade off a 224 nickel that I had for a 320RX compact, but I was very reluctant to do so.

I still like the traditional DA/SA SIGs, but for actual carry, I prefer the 320.

If this purchase would be just to have one, I would go for it.

Hope this helps you some.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10-7 leo,

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
I would. Just check around and don't go for one of the new old stock with the old high pricing. I see several stores in Florida with them still at $999.00. These stores will be sitting on these forever if they keep those prices.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I have a DAK in 9mm and really like it. They are not going to be a collectors piece so I certainly would not pay up for one. I got mine lightly used a couple of years ago for $650.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
Just bought a pre owned...p224 dak 9mm $399.99, looks new at least from gun broker pictures and description.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I just bought a pre owned one. The original owner bought it as a .40, then added a 9mm barrel. I really like it in 9mm. The .40 has some slap, for a better word, when it goes back into battery after a shot. What I've read so far, Bruce Gray thought there wasn't enough space in the slide for enough recoil spring to deal with the .40. My intention is to get it over to Robert Burke for his carry trigger work and I'll ask him if there's anything to be done for the .40. I shoot it well considering I'm more used to carrying a 1911.

Right now I wouldn't touch a .40, but the 9mm is good.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post