SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Your oldest 1911
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your oldest 1911 Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gallo Pazzesco:
It was the first pistol I ever shot as a ten year old boy while visiting them in Florida in the mid 60s.

Gallo Pazzesco - awesome story, and great picture. I have one of my Grandfather in a similar outfit, just not the cool story to go with it Wink.

My 1911 has a personal connection - when we first moved to Florida as kids, we kept our sailboat at a house in North Key Largo that rented dock space. The older couple (probably 65) was super nice and over time he started showing us how to fish, took us out Yellowtailing and became like a second grandparent. Very impactful to my brother and I. He was partial American Indian (Sioux?) and had spend the early 30s as a cowboy out west, then college and he ultimately became a captain in the Army. He shipped out to Guadalcanal with that 1911, on occasion he would talk about it to two kids that pestered him, but in hindsight it was clear he was uncomfortable. Apparently still suffering from what we call PTSD today, one night he went back to drinking (had been sober) and took his own life. His widow wanted us to have the 1911.

Not to be a downer, but we choose to look on his rich life and the impact he made. He really was a great person who went through interesting times, and this 1911 will never leave the family.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FlyingScot,

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington-Rand 1911a1, 1943....$725 in almost unissued condition, 1999. A pretty good substitute for the one I carried for part of a tour in Vietnam, 1970.
Best Regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dad has a 1911 manufactured in 1917, purchased a few years ago. It apparently did not go overseas or see combat. It is in very good condition with most of the blue in tact and a bright bore.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
I love that Western, I have never seen one before. Is it an original?

Yes. My father served in the USN during the Korean Era. He brought the knife home with him for my grandfather. Dad told me these knives were issued to the pilots on the carriers. It has been in my possession since Grandpa died in 1983.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
I love that Western, I have never seen one before. Is it an original?

Yes. My father served in the USN during the Korean Era. He brought the knife home with him for my grandfather. Dad told me these knives were issued to the pilots on the carriers. It has been in my possession since Grandpa died in 1983.

Even better with the provenance, thank you

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Made in 1974. I never knew for sure until just now, despite having the receipt. I thought dad bought it used, I guess not.

I don't recall exactly when he put the Bomar rib on, late 70s.
A gun that I have no good pictures of.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is my oldest. 1986.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Young 'un - 1942

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Early vintage Kimber pro tatical 2 (45acp) ,Years ago someone gave me 2 orginal boxes of military issue 45acp and loose ammo dated lot # 35 from 1917.Which still fired after many years of storage in a attic (southern Louisiana).. 3 years ago tried to sell but no one would make a offer. Hoped to find someone with a shadow box with age appropate 1911. Donated to a LGS who vacumm seald to preserve. ................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post