SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1968 - What pistol(s) would you carry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1968 - What pistol(s) would you carry? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Mattel Tommyburst, with perforated roll caps.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
d would carry a smith and Wesson 38 in J frame or a colt 45 acp

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Smith 1950 Target (pre-24) 4" loaded with some Keith 429421s over about 7.5 gr of Unique. With three speed loaders.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I was still in grade school then, it would be a choice between the Mattel Dick Tracy snub nose .38 or the Johnny Eagle 1911. Just wish I knew what happened to all of my toys from then!

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huge Mickey Spillane fan. It would have to be a 1911 .45 ACP.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I carried a plastic Colt Peacemaker-clone in a vinyl holster. I was 5/6 that year.

quote:
Originally posted by metric:
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range.

metric, welcome back to our time. In our timeline, that one didn't come out until sometime between 1984 and 2029. Wink

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt Cobra .38, which coincidentally is what I carry now.

If I wore a suit daily then I would carry a Colt Commander.

If I was a New York PI with a secretary named Velda then it would be a Colt 1911. Like SCfromNY I am a Mickey Spillane
fan.

In reality It was either a Johnny Eagle 1911 or a Wasp Cap revolver (I had a leather shoulder holster I carried it in).

Lock N Load

Michael

USMC Ret

Posts: 1452 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I was not yet into guns in 1968, but the story I heard was semi-automatics, i.e., the 1911, were not very accurate or reliable. So I would go with a .357 magnum revolver like the Colt Python or S&W Model 19, depending on budget.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning Hi-power, Walther PPK and an S&W Model 36. Maybe a Walther P-38 for good measure.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4” Model 27 Nickel plated. Still have it in the safe.

Posts: 65 | Location: NC | Registered: September 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P-35 slotted for the shoulder stock!

French MAB.

Stechkin APS.

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
Since I was still in grade school then, it would be a choice between the Mattel Dick Tracy snub nose .38 or the Johnny Eagle 1911. Just wish I knew what happened to all of my toys from then!

Go forward a few years, and it would be a 45er.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I was in the Navy in 1968. My duty gun was a 1911. My home gun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Browning Hi-Power, loaded with Super-Vel JHPs (an early commercial hollowpoint).

The BHP was basically the only viable double-stack 9mm carry gun available at that time.

^^^^^ +1 Several BHPs, stacked up. Some to be left stock others to await custom work by Wayne Novak.

For rifles, I’d choose G-Series FN FALs and 50.63 versions.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
How did the Browning HP pricing compare to its contemporaries in this time frame?

Posts: 9975 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
How did the Browning HP pricing compare to its contemporaries in this time frame?

My Dad got a T-Series BHP in ‘68 timeframe for $85.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd carry the government model 1911, the commander model 1911, the Smith and Wesson Model 29 and the Smith Model 19 I already have.

I'd need to pick up a J Frame, Detective Special Beretta Tomcat, Colt Pocket Hammerless or Colt Vest Pocket for pocket carry, and I'd likely get a High Power so I had a high capacity semi auto. I'd also consider a Smith Model 39 for a nice single stack 9mm.

I wouldn't feel under gunned with any of them heavier than .32 cal., and a .25 or .32 in deep concealment is better than nothing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Like others BHP, although ammo tech is not like it is today. Maybe 1911.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post