SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Barrel swap question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel swap question Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
I have a Glock 19 w/ Trijicon HD NS. When I shot it as it originally came OEM, using center hold I was hitting dead on. I got an aftermarket threaded barrel to try out and shot ~200 rounds through it. When I swapped the OEM barrel back in, it seems to be hitting a higher than before.

Is it bad to continuously swap barrels in a handgun? Could the aftermarket barrel have done something to change lock-up and affect POI?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d have to answer no & no to the questions.

I’m also one that most often uses handguns for handgun range, short. I’ve only done a few barrel swaps, Glock, not enough testing for any impact change.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Did you use the same ammo or a different bullet weight?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Did you use the same ammo or a different bullet weight?

It was definitely different ammo, but on my last outing, I did shoot 115gr & 124 gr. The 124gr seemed to hit higher than the 115gr.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
It was definitely different ammo, but on my last outing, I did shoot 115gr & 124 gr. The 124gr seemed to hit higher than the 115gr.

Point of Impact changes with either the same weight bullet and a change in velocity [going to +P for example] or the same velocity and a change in bullet weight [from 115 to 124gr]. Generally, when going from 115 to 124gr bullets, the velocity changes also.

I've heard claims that someone had the same velocity and same weight bullet, but were getting different POI with different brands of ammo [or different lots of ammo, by the same brand].

This may be due to different powders used, but- it seems that the weight and velocity should explain point of impact.

So, your question about using a different weight of bullet and getting a different point of impact may be very normal.

On the older revolvers without adjustable sights, they were 'sighted in' by using a set weight, set bullet type [wadcutter, LRN, etc], set velocity and then the front sight was filed down until the POI was 'just right', at the distance desired.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post