SIGforum
Brand new 365 mags rusting in under 2 weeks...???

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3420016274

July 21, 2020, 07:28 PM
Jester814
Brand new 365 mags rusting in under 2 weeks...???
Do the new insanely expensive sig mags not have any sort of anti-rust coating? For $50 per mag I am absolutely floored that I have rust spots after ~2 weeks of ownership. I've had my Nano for ~5 years and never even a hint of rust.

If these were 15 dollar mags I could understand and I'd be willing to do whatever I need to do to stop this from happening, but for 50 bucks a pop I'm a little bit upset that I'm seeing spots of rust on my new mag at all. That's insane for the amount they're charging for mags.

It's a 15 round p365 mag that I got from our own Top Gun Supply on JUN 22, but didn't start carrying until a couple weeks ago after test firing.

I've been so happy with this gun (other than the cost of the mags, and SIG CS who won't honor a double coupon on their website), and this is making me reconsider getting a 320. Do you guys do anything to prevent this on your mags? Is there an easy solution to prevent this from happening in the future?

I pocket carry the mag in a pocket mag carrier. It's been hot and humid around here recently, but I can only imagine that the simplest of mag coatings would prevent the rust.

July 21, 2020, 07:36 PM
sns3guppy
I've had no signs of rust or corrosion on any of my P365 mags. They've been exposed to sweat and carry, with no hint of corrosion.
July 21, 2020, 09:09 PM
pillboxesghost
I live in Morehead City, NC. That is, within 1.5 miles of salt water (Bogue Sound/Atlantic Ocean).

Got no problems with corrosion on the pistol or the mags.

Edited to add --- my mags are OEM 10/12 rounders.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.
July 21, 2020, 09:14 PM
sourdough44
I just bought a P365, 3 weeks ago.

When I get a new gun or mag I give it a lube & wipedown before use.

With a magazine I use an oily rag then a few drops of oil inside on the spring. Some have been in transit for a few months. After that you get into environmental conditions to heal with, sweat whatever.
July 21, 2020, 09:28 PM
I have had 10 P365 mags (10- and 15-rounders) in the SIG case inside my car's trunk for about 2 months, in this unbearable hot and humid Houston summer, and no rust/corrosion so far that I can see.

Q

July 21, 2020, 11:22 PM
Jester814
Thanks for the responses guys. Maybe it's not rust but I can't imagine what else it could be. I scrubbed it off and wiped the mag down with some clp. Hopefully I was wrong and it was just dirt spots or something.

July 22, 2020, 07:16 AM
rchermanjr
I live in Charleston SC...miles from beach, hundreds of yards from saltwater tidal creeks and rives....yards from freshwater lake. Our humidity will stifle you. After owning SIGs since 90s....the only time I have gotten rust or what started to show as oxidation was after it was against my sweaty body for couple hours whether I realized it or not. I wipe down my weapon and mags. If it was rust I would assume that sweat or something got on them and were left sitting. Good wipe down with your fav cleaner/lubricant.....and will be good to go.
July 23, 2020, 12:32 PM
sjames
I’ve had a few 365 show surface rust after getting rain sprinkled on them at the range. I usually wipe down anything that gets sweaty but didn’t think about the rain.

I wasn’t pleased they rusted so easily but I’ve just committed to cleaning them after every range outing. Carry mag gets wiped down anytime it gets sweaty too.
July 23, 2020, 04:09 PM
straightshooter1
Based on the posts here, one would think the mags must be made by different manufacturers, with slightly different finishes or materials.

Some see rust after a little rain, others live near salt water and the mags are fine, and me, well I live near salt water, in a high humidity location, and sweat like a pig on my P365, the mag and especially the back up mag, all carried IWB-no rust.

Kind of a puzzler, at least to me.

Bob
July 23, 2020, 05:00 PM
kidcop
It's rust. But in SIG's defense I sweat acid alien blood, and can rust stainless steel and GLOCKs. I'm not overly perturbed and just view it as something that a routine wipe down will cure & prevent.
July 25, 2020, 07:08 AM
CAR
I don't live in a very hot and humid area or by the ocean, but we do get a lot of rain here.

For my 45+ years of gun ownership, I have always wiped my guns and magazines down with an oily rag after handling. Never had one of them rust on me.

I do know that sweat is very corrosive to steel and take special care to keep items that may come in contact with sweat wiped down and oiled.
July 25, 2020, 05:03 PM
GeoJelly
More than a little off-topic, but seems like a good thread to mention this in. On both of my 365 mags, the bottom of the follower will jam up against the bottom of the mag stop slot when being loaded. It reaches that point, at three or four rounds, and won't accept any more rounds. Doesn't happen every time, but enough to be very frustrating. The finish and metal stamping on both mags also looks Kabul-esque - almost like they were stamped out in a blacksmith shop in A-stan. Great little pistol but borderline crap mags IMO ...
July 26, 2020, 04:27 PM
Austin228
Hi, I've never had SIG magazines rust like that.

I've got P250 magazines which are the same as P320 magazines.

I use a product called CorrosionX for my lubing/protection/rust removal.

In my safes are EvaDry module's that are recharged as necessary.

I've been using CorrosionX products for at least 10 years.

I found out about it on SIG Forum.

The regular red can stuff is good for lube/protecting/anti-seize/anti-rust.

I've also used it on all my SIG classics for years as a lubricant/protectant after Hoppes no 9 as the cleaning solvent.

They now make a Ultimate CLP and other gun related products.

https://www.corrosionx.com/collections/lubricants

Here is the "Plate of Truth" comparing CorrosionX to Ballistol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1li1mU5_HbQ
July 26, 2020, 08:22 PM
DirectDrive
The 3 contractors currently making mags for SIG are :

Made In Italy = MecGar
Made in USA - "C in square" rollmark = CheckMate
Made in USA - "J in circle" rollmark = unidentified manufacturer

ETA:
CorrosionX is a favorite of fishing reel service techs
November 20, 2022, 06:10 PM
ScotP7
Recalled this thread from way back.
Anyone with any of these issues in the more recent past?
I was surprised to find rust at the top of of the magazine around the lips on a 10 round flush, and 10 round extended magazine. Nothing on other 10 rounders, 12 rounders, and I’ve got a couple dozen.
Not sure when it developed, but treat the mags pretty well, except I don’t routinely wipe mags down after daily use. Guess it is time to start.
November 20, 2022, 09:56 PM
Jester814
Since posting this thread, the same mag I originally posted about has had several more small rust spots that I've had to wipe down and leave a dab of CLP on. I used a sharpie to color over the old ones and they seem to be holding up ok.

That said, I am still miffed in general that these, the most expensive magazines I've ever bought for a firearm, have any sort of rust issues and don't have an anti-rust coating.

That also said, since making this post I've acquired 3 p320s and 2 more P365s.

November 21, 2022, 06:56 AM
tgmr05
The ones I have that show rust issues have a light cracking appearance in the finish. There is no bare metal exposed, just the finish appears to have cracks all through it instead of a smooth appearance. Not sure why, and just anecdotal, but true for the ones I have noticed issues.

I just cover them in ballistol or sheath and let them set for a couple days, then use them. I may reapply more than with others, but so far so good.
November 21, 2022, 10:32 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Recalled this thread from way back.
Anyone with any of these issues in the more recent past?

I've had rust issues with just one of my P365 mags, which has a dime-sized patch of rust spots adjacent to the baseplate on one side. None of the rest have developed any issues in the ~3 years I've owned my P365.

Most of my mags are 1-3 years old, but the rest - including the rust-prone mag - are of unknown age (bought used).

I do, out of an abundance of caution, wipe down my P365 mags with a lightly oily rag at the same time I do the same to the P365 itself, which is about once a month or so.
November 21, 2022, 12:44 PM
mdblanton
I have not had any of my P365X mags rust. However, my son had a couple from his P365XL show rust spots in under two weeks after purchase. He contacted SIG customer support and they sent him two replacements and did not ask him to return the ones with corrosion - which we've since had coated with Birdsong's Black-T.
November 21, 2022, 07:57 PM
ScotP7
Thanks, all.
Good info.
I looked at my mags, all seem Checkmate.