SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got to Shoot a Ruger Mk IV Hunter Last Week
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got to Shoot a Ruger Mk IV Hunter Last Week Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Very nice pistol! Excellent trigger, great sights, nice balance, good controls (safety could have been a bit more positive, but I am used to 1911 safeties), and very nicely finished.

If I were looking for a .22 LR pistol, I would seriously consider the Mk. IV line.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed! I have a MK IV Stainless Target and the MK IV Tactical 22/45. Two fantastic .22 pistols. I also added the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit in both and each have about a 2 lb. trigger pull. Very accurate! Big Grin

Posts: 15 | Registered: September 29, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used Ruger MK-IIIs for student use in my CCW classes for years. When I stopped teaching, I traded in a MK-III 22-45 with just over 30,000 rds, and two newer 22-45s with over 15,000 rds each. The only problems were ammo related, and no parts needed replacing. My personal MK-III Hunter as just over 25,000 rds, again with all original parts, and only ammo related failures. I have a S&W 41 that is amazing to shoot, but can be fussy about functioning with certain ammo. Whenever I go to the range to shoot 22LR, the Ruger goes, and the S&W usually stays at home. And the Ruger shoots nearly as good.Unless you need a 22 LR pistol for Bulls-eye competition, for dependability and reliability, hard to do any better than the Ruger MK-XXX series.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Very nice pistol! Excellent trigger, great sights, nice balance, good controls (safety could have been a bit more positive, but I am used to 1911 safeties), and very nicely finished.

If I were looking for a .22 LR pistol, I would seriously consider the Mk. IV line.

I've never handled or shot a MK III, but I think those same attributes apply to the MK I and MK II, as well as the 22/45 line as well.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can’t go wrong with any Ruger MK. MKIIs are my favorite.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:

Why Mk II ?
I have a 5-1/2" Bull Barrel that I bought in 1982 and just never loved it.
Maybe it's the teardown procedure ?

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:

Why Mk II ?

The MKII had everything I want, nothing I don't. I never had an issue with the disassembly or hell mag release though, some do. I've detailed stripped most of my MKIIs to install Volquartsen parts without issues. I have one MKIII but put a Tactical Solutions upper on it which got rid of the LCI so it just had the lock on the frame. All my others are MKIIs. I haven't found a reason to move to a MKIV.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:

Why Mk II ?

The MKII had everything I want, nothing I don't. I never had an issue with the disassembly or hell mag release though, some do. I've detailed stripped most of my MKIIs to install Volquartsen parts without issues. I have one MKIII but put a Tactical Solutions upper on it which got rid of the LCI so it just had the lock on the frame. All my others are MKIIs. I haven't found a reason to move to a MKIV.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except for the breakdown I love my MKIII Hunter with the 6 1/2" barrel. For the most part it shot all ammo very well with the strange exception that it loved cheap, dirty Remington Thunderbolt but hated Remington Gold.

Great trigger, super accurate, and fun to shoot.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't see many Weigand mounts. Smile My 1983 vintage customized Mk678 II with Volquartsen parts I installed. That's a "chopped" PolyChoke vent rib FWIW. It was full length until I opted to add optics with the Weigand mount.

Now that I no longer shoot NRA indoor 22LR matches with it, I've changed the grips back to some nice factory checkered walnut panels. Hunter brand field holster is cut out to accommodate the big RedDot.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16221 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Ruger really hit the ball out of the park with the MK IV. It addressed the one big complaint about the platform... Field Stripping.

I love the "Hunter". It's on my short list. I had one when I was doing a lot of training, but many ladies had issues with the weight. It was the gun I used when I qualified as an NRA Instructor.

Not so with the 22/45 Lite which is what I have now. It is a tack driver and is super light weight to boot.

Photo Feb 04, 11 56 10 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have 2 22/45s both with the PAC-lite barrels....and I removed the magazine-must-be-in crap...

Love them!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
My MKII 22/45 collection grows. I honestly cannot pass up deals. This appears unfired which will be remedied soon.

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Mk IV Hunter may very well be my next purchase. I am so glad that Ruger finally addressed the takedown issue, although it shouldn’t have required the heavy competition from the Victory to make it happen. I suppose that is the way the world works though.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a very good looking gun in S.S., however I still like the feel of a Browning buckmark S.S. standard with URX grips.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Target and also the Tactical model with Tandemkross comp. Both have the Volquartsen trigger jobs, and Vortex Venom red dots sights. They are accurate, fun-to-shoot guns, and extremely easy to maintain.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
The Ruger Mk IV Hunter may very well be my next purchase. I am so glad that Ruger finally addressed the takedown issue, although it shouldn’t have required the heavy competition from the Victory to make it happen. I suppose that is the way the world works though.

Sturm/Ruger did it to themselves (mag safety). I can take down and put back together the MKII is less than a minute.No tools required.

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Mark IV Competition with a volquartsen trigger and Burris Fast Fire red dot. The trigger is a little bit light but that is not a bad problem. The accuracy is scary. When I miss I know it is ALL me.

Posts: 9 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I suppose I'm the dissenter here. I do like the feel of the Hunter, along with any number of variations within the family. Even with my dislike of the difficult disassembly/reassembly of the pre-MkIV guns, it's Ruger factory triggers that have almost always been the sore spot that kept me from buying one, particularly compared to my Buck Marks and now the sublime Victory series from S&W. The only Rugers that I've shot where I liked the triggers have been ones laced with aftermarket parts that addressed the factory shortcomings. I suppose that I just never came to terms with the notion that to get a decent trigger out of a Ruger, I had to go out and spend even more money when I could have it right out of the box with a Buck Mark.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Traded my Mark III for the MK IV lite, The III was a nice pistol, had the VQ trigger, mag safety mod, and was great fun until it came time to strip it down.

As to the MK IV, disassembly easy, check, reassembly, check, suppressor host, Check, trigger that doesn't need $150 worth of VQ parts to be enjoyable, check.

The early MK ruger 22/45 are great guns, but for me the IV is a significant improvement.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post