SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Striker fired .45
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Striker fired .45 Login/Join 
posted
I like to have a striker fired and hammer fired gun for each caliber I own. It keeps the range fresh for me. I have a Colt 1911 that is hammere fired. I keep coming back to the HK 45, which is also hammer fired. I’m going to buy this after my road trip ends in 2 weeks. I have convinced myself the 1911 does not count as I rarely shoot it. Thus,for my balance I think I’m going to get The Springfield XD45 Full size. My problem is other than the Colt I only buy S&W, HK and Sig. I don’t like Sigs 45 and have not liked S&W semi autos since the 3rd generations. I am hesitant about leaving the brands I am loyal to and trust. I carried a Glock 45 when on duty for years. I don’t mind them but I won’t buy one because of their annoying fan boys.
Does anybody have an XD 45 and what are your thoughts? It will be a range gun for me. I will never carry it or use for home defense. Range and back to the safe is my intention.

Posts: 70 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Walther has or had a PPQ in .45 as well. Just another option.

I owned a couple XD’s in .45 for years and they were good guns, but ultimately never did it for me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never shot the XD in .45 but I've owned the XDm 45. It ran reliably with a variety of ammo but otherwise never particularly impressed me. I didn't like the grip safety, the grip was supposed to be an upgrade over the earlier XD but still lacked any real traction and slipped around a lot in-hand, and could only be resolved via grip tape (or I suppose with a stipple job).

I'm curious; in your evaluation so far, what makes the XD45 better than either of the guns you've already crossed off your list? I've shot the M&P45 2.0 and thought it was pretty darn good. Excellent ergonomics, good on recoil and although still (at the time) saddled with a mediocre trigger, I shot it just as accurately as any of my other .45s.

I've not shot the .45 P320 so I can't personally comment on experiences with that gun in that caliber, but the P320 in general is noted for having great shooting characteristics. I've certainly liked mine in 9mm. At least on the surface a P320 seems like a decent option for a range/recreational .45 shooter.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok

I'm curious; in your evaluation so far, what makes the XD45 better than either of the guns you've already crossed off your list? I've shot the M&P45 2.0 and thought it was pretty darn good. Excellent ergonomics, good on recoil and although still (at the time) saddled with a mediocre trigger, I shot it just as accurately as any of my other .45s.

I've not shot the .45 P320 so I can't personally comment on experiences with that gun in that caliber, but the P320 in general is noted for having great shooting characteristics. I've certainly liked mine in 9mm. At least on the surface a P320 seems like a decent option for a range/recreational .45 shooter.

I don’t know that the XD is better than the other choices. I like how it feels in my hand. I purchased a S&W .38 recently. I have lost my love for the S&W semi autos though as they phased out the Generation 3’s. I love my 6906 and 5906. The M&Ps just feel different to me. The grip is too narrow for me. I have considered the P320 but have heard so many bad things about them. Typically, Sig is my go to gun. The bad press around the 45 has simply scared me. As for Walther, I just don’t like their guns. No other reason. I feel like I’m talking myself into the XD but I am having trouble convincing myself.

Posts: 70 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My favorite 45acp is my HK45c, I have the full size also.

The compact takes full size mags, should that be desired. Of course intended use factors in.

Both of mine are ‘lite LEM’.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I carried a Glock 45 when on duty for years. I don’t mind them but I won’t buy one because of their annoying fan boys.

Well that's kind of like cutting of your own nose to spite your face. Why do you care what other people think/say? If you like the gun and trust it, get the gun and enjoy it. Just because you own a Glock doesn't make you a fanboy.

As to the P320 in .45, the "bad press" is greatly exaggerated, and I've found it to often be propagated by people who haven't experienced the claimed problems themselves, or even shot the gun. Everyone I know who owns one likes it, and the one I shot was just fine. I have a lot more experience with the 9mm than the .45, and those have been excellent. I've not heard any complaints about the .45 that haven't been directed at the 9mm as well, and based on my experience with that gun most of those complaints are completely invalid. Why not evaluate it for yourself and make your own decision rather than letting internet rumors make it for you?

If you like the XD, that's a fine option, too. Personally, I hate the grip on that gun, and the trigger, and the recoil characteristics...but that's me and I'm not you. I've not found them to be unreliable, they just don't fit me well. Springfield customer service has done right by me in the past, too, so I have no concrete complaints about their products.

Buy what you like and what works for you. If other people can give you hard facts towards making a decision, then great, but don't let the subjective opinions of others or their online behavior make your decision for you.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Some flavor of FN 545 should do the trick.

https://fnamerica.com/pistols/...ce=meganav_by-series

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Walther PPQ45, which is still available. FN also makes the FN 545, which is a striker fired version of the FNX-45.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I had two XD 45’s and they were reliable and shot pretty well. I’m a PPQ fan but the 45 version did not quite do it for me - not sure what it was honestly but I sold it. My only current striker 45 is a G21 gen 4 and I really like it. I’d like to try a P320 45 at some point as well as the FN545.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the P320 45ACP in both full size and compact, and love them. They shoot as well as my P220s, which means they are accurate. When comparing the P220 to the P320, the P 320 seems to recoil slightly less, probably due to the slightly wider grip. My full size had some teething problems when new, using my low power reloads, but is now broken in nicely. The Compact was flawless from the beginning.
My only regret about the P320 in 45 ACP is that I only have one of each! I highly recommend it if you can find one.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vaftocr:
I like to have a striker fired and hammer fired gun for each caliber I own. It keeps the range fresh for me. I have a Colt 1911 that is hammere fired. I keep coming back to the HK 45, which is also hammer fired. I’m going to buy this after my road trip ends in 2 weeks. I have convinced myself the 1911 does not count as I rarely shoot it. Thus,for my balance I think I’m going to get The Springfield XD45 Full size. My problem is other than the Colt I only buy S&W, HK and Sig. I don’t like Sigs 45 and have not liked S&W semi autos since the 3rd generations. I am hesitant about leaving the brands I am loyal to and trust.
While they have been discontinued for years, you can stick with HK by acquiring a P9S

Mine is wearing optional walnut grips

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I don't own any 45s now but have had 1911s and multiple polymer brands in the past. I also sold all the XDs and XDMs I had (9 and 40), I just didn't like the grip shape or the grip safety.

From what I've read the M&P 45 is supposed to be quite good but that's apparently off your list. If I were to buy a striker fired 45 auto today it would probably be a Glock 21 Gen 5. I had 2 Gen 3 21s and an SF and probably should have kept one of them.

Posts: 4079 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
If I were to buy a striker fired 45 auto today it would probably be a Glock 21 Gen 5.

Same. Owning a large frame Glock opens you up to a top end swap and then you can shoot 10mm, or just try out different slide lengths with optics since you like to keep things fresh. The aftermarket options alone should have that brand on your list of considerations, and with you having carried one on duty, you're already familiar with it. Who cares about the fanbase of a particular gun?

Posts: 17138 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaftocr:
I like to have a striker fired and hammer fired gun for each caliber I own. It keeps the range fresh for me. I have a Colt 1911 that is hammere fired. I keep coming back to the HK 45, which is also hammer fired. I’m going to buy this after my road trip ends in 2 weeks. I have convinced myself the 1911 does not count as I rarely shoot it. Thus,for my balance I think I’m going to get The Springfield XD45 Full size. My problem is other than the Colt I only buy S&W, HK and Sig. I don’t like Sigs 45 and have not liked S&W semi autos since the 3rd generations. I am hesitant about leaving the brands I am loyal to and trust.
While they have been discontinued for years, you can stick with HK by acquiring a P9S

Mine is wearing optional walnut grips

Discontinued for many, many years, with a price to match, especially as the 45s are rarer than the 9mm P9S. Plus, scarcity of parts. Also, it’s hammer fired, not striker fired.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the P9 is hammer fired. It’s just an enclosed hammer.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had an XD .45 some years back, I bought because it was $200. It was reliable, shot well enough, but did nothing for me. Plus it was "a brick on a stick" as far as looks and ergonomics go. Sold it for the same $200.

I was in possession of a Glock 21 for a year, never did shoot it. Don't like the feel of large frame Glocks. (not in love with the medium frame ones either lol)
I have an XDs, a G36 and a S&W M&P. All bought for the same reason, it was something new to try.

Last week I was pricing HK .45's online. Because I had a dream where I was handling one. I mean, that's as good a reason as any right?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once Sig addressed the initial P320 design issue with the “Voluntary Upgrade”, there is zero to be concerned with. If you look at virtually every reported issue it’s related to discharges in a holster by itself or suspected foreign obstruction in a holster. Last I saw, Sig had won every single lawsuit they chose to take all the way through the process and nobody has been able to show how a post-voluntary upgraded P320 can fire without the trigger being pulled. I’ve never heard of any issues with the P320 in .45 and both of mine have been flawless. Paired with the X grip module that was introduced with the P320 X-Ten it’s one of the most comfortable .45’s I’ve ever shot.

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Discontinued for many, many years, with a price to match, especially as the 45s are rarer than the 9mm P9S. Plus, scarcity of parts. Also, it’s hammer fired, not striker fired.
Of course you are correct

I have not handled mine for close to a Decade, I was thinking of the HK P7 not the P9

The P7M10 is also 45ACP

Also I do not recall that price was listed a consideration in the OPs post

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dwill104:

Price is not the issue within reason of course. I will probably put Sig back on the list with the XD and as someone mentioned the FN 545. I was handling one of those at a LGS last week. They are pretty nice. I appreciate the posts about Glocks and what can be done with them. I have never altered any pistol I own. I have toyed with the idea of optics but just don’t have the inclination to get one. I like the standard iron sights for some reason.
I don’t shoot in any competitions. I just love going to the range for a few hours by myself and plinking at targets. I find it quite cathartic. I’m sure either the Sig, FN, XD and Beretta are all good for this.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Of course you are correct

I have not handled mine for close to a Decade, I was thinking of the HK P7 not the P9

The P7M10 is also 45ACP

The P7M10 is .40 cal. HK made only a prototype in .45 (P7M7)