SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shoot, switch barrels and shoot again! How quick could you do it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoot, switch barrels and shoot again! How quick could you do it? Login/Join 
Picture of Sig-nature
posted
https://www.glocktalk.com/thre...ange-report.1871430/

It is only through labor and prayerful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things in life… Speak softly but carry a big stick.."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 586 | Location: Pa. | Registered: April 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone may come along and poopoo me but I would not hotswap barrels from a gun that used to be loaded to another cal "as fast as possible". I think someone out there is either going to shoot 357Sig in a 40 or pop a hole in hopefully just their hand, to beat a timer.

Also there is literally zero utility to the drill.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:

Yep. I'm all for having fun at the range, but let's be honest... This serves no purpose other than making smoke and noise and generating some sort of dubious bragging right.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone may come along and poopoo me but I would not hotswap barrels from a gun that used to be loaded to another cal "as fast as possible". I think someone out there is either going to shoot 357Sig in a 40 or pop a hole in hopefully just their hand, to beat a timer.

A .357 Sig in a .40 would probably not cause a huge problem if you fired one or two rounds. The other way around --- NOT GOOD.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep. I'm all for having fun at the range, but let's be honest... This serves no purpose other than making smoke and noise and generating some sort of dubious bragging right.

Yep. It's all about "my dick is hotter than yours".

Q

Posts: 26405 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:

A .357 Sig in a .40 would probably not cause a huge problem if you fired one or two rounds. The other way around --- NOT GOOD.

I'm not sure a .40 in a .357 Sig would even fire... I don't think it would go far enough into battery.

Definitely not a good idea to try, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a problem waiting to kaboom somehow; maybe not with those two calibers, but damn... you know there's someone who'll try this with some "quick" conversion between 5.56 and 300blk and it wont end well.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shoot, switch barrels and shoot again! How quick could you do it?

We have done this dozens of times almost always in under 20 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkW4a9Edg2Q

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If the extractor holds the 357 SIG case well enough to headspace, there is zero danger in the 357 firing in the 40 chamber.

There is however potential danger at the rear, risk of too much headspace, but just enough to still fire. Blown primers, near OOB, battered case heads, not great. (same as firing 40 in a 10mm, not a good idea really. Some guns it may be ok, others bad things happen.)

As for seeing how fast you can change barrel? Have at it, knock yourself out.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
50 seconds? Pppfffttt. Amateur.

I can change barrel, barrel nut, upper receiver, BCG, handguard, charging handle, short M-Lok rail, bipod, QD sling attachment, scope mount, scope, scope lens cover, dope card holder, muzzle device, and suppressor in about 10 seconds. OK, maybe 14 seconds on the uppers with really tight pins.

Posts: 7875 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of g26s239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:

It just blows out the brass in the first instance. A 40 will not chamber in a 357 barrel so no worry there. It has been at least 10 years since I fired any 357 Sig.

Posts: 1284 | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post