SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Authorized Dealers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Authorized Dealers Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted
I decided to ask the forum for their collective wisdom on just what an authorized firearm dealer (AFD) for a given manufacturer means to a gunshop. Are there different types and what purpose do they serve beyond potentially stocking a given firearm brand?

Case in point, I realize stocking inventory these days is difficult. With unprecedented demand, along with manufacturing and supply chain issues stretched due to a relatively minor virus in the grand scheme of infectious agents, most gun shops have very thin gun lines to sell. OK, but if you’re an “authorized dealer” and I come into your store and say I’m willing to put 50% or more down and wait months for a firearm to arrive, do you turn me away? Do you bash the firearm manufacturer and distributor w/whom one can assume you have a business relationship with, otherwise why did your shop decide to become such a dealer? No kidding, I visited 4 gun stores in Western PA in the last week and that was the reaction I received. Some of the comments (for instance, why do you want a Ruger?... that company sucks!) made zero sense and didn’t come out of a Millenial’s mouth (OK, one out of four did).

I’m putting my experience down to zero training and lack of business sense but it still raises the question in these times, what good is it for a Gunshop to be an AFD?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of frustration for gun hops and a lot of stress looking at going out of business not being able to get product to the customer.

I wouldn't take or give any money right now. Its a big pain the ass with customers calling non stop asking about the firearm. Complaining etc. If the gun shop goes under wiill you ever get your money back.

I signed up for notifications at Bud's for a 427 american and and I was notified last night. checked today and all sold out.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS stop taking deposits in July because of people calling every week asking if there gun is in. Most were told 3 to 6 months but still called every week . It was a big headache for the owner.

Posts: 635 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Customer-- Got any 9mm?

Owner-- No I'm sorry we don't

Customer--Could you order some?

Owner-- why didn't I think of that Roll Eyes

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I decided to ask the forum for their collective wisdom on just what an authorized firearm dealer (AFD) for a given manufacturer means to a gunshop. Are there different types and what purpose do they serve beyond potentially stocking a given firearm brand?

There are quite a few types. Even within the same brand there may be different types. Main benefits may typically include some combination of better terms, better pricing, better allocation, and or being able to purchase directly from the manufacturer instead of distribution channel. It just depends. And there are various qualifications the dealer needs to meet as well in many cases.

Sorry to hear about your difficulty, the firearms industry is bonkers at the moment and will probably remain that way for at least a year or two.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post