SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the standalone 365 FCU compatible with a manual safety?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the standalone 365 FCU compatible with a manual safety? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Is the 365 FCU that SIG is selling separately nowadays compatible with the manual safety option?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
It looks identical functionally to the FCUs that come in complete guns and has the cutout for the manual safety, so I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible.

Would be pretty stupid on Sig's part if they made it incompatible.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. I’ve done it, it’s a 30 second install if you don’t launch the teeny tiny spring.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks.

How do we like the manual safety on the 365?

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Assuming you don't mind thumb safeties, the p365 one is very good. Positive click actuation, and not too heavy or too light. The only thing I don't like the fact that it is an ambi safety, mostly because the right side lever seems to stick out too far and make the pistol wider than it needs to be, especially since I'll never use it being right handed. That was easily rectified by chopping off the lever on the right side with a dremel tool. Has no effect on the safety's functionality or felt action.

Posts: 4350 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 365 came with the safety and I have to say I like it. It is very easy to use and big/small enough to access but not get in the way of functioning. I wish I could say the same about my S&W Shield. It is a little too small,in my opinion.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I added the safety LH only with just one corresponding notch.

SIG making a non safety FCU would be less than smart as so many do want one and would cause issues with selling it. If the next owner preferred it then not being able to install or use one would create a tier of models and cause them to sell less. There is also the cost of changing the design - and running two different assembly lines and controlling the production of a separate part number along with ATF compliance on serial numbers etc. Too much hassle.

Just make them to take a safety and it's simpler and cheaper overall. They do the same thing in auto production - all the holes are there, Alaska doesn't get AC and Mississippi doesn't get the Artic heater. I can drill two holes on my Ford truck, install a front differential, and all the other parts to make it 4WD are interchangeable. Why they didn't make the chassis the same, grr. But doable.

Most manufacturers tend to keep from painting themselves into a corner and being "modular" to a degree means there are few obstacles to making different models with different features. I speculate that in a few years most slides will be compatible with red dots - a rear sight plate fitting it would be the economy version. Just take the plate off, screw on the RMR and done.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have converted all my 365’s to MS. I won’t carry a striker gun appendix without one. Sig did this one well. My Shield was awful. So tiny. The Sig version is perfect. I ride it like I do on my 1911’s. I considered the cutting one side mod but in reality it protrudes minimally so I left it alone.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
How do we like the manual safety on the 365?

Even though we’re not supposed to absolutely, positively rely on manual safeties to prevent unintentional discharges, having it was my requirement to carry a P365, and I jumped on the first one I found with the feature. Since then I’ve been content with it. For me it’s located in just the right place for my thumb joint, and its operation is distinct and positive without being difficult to operate.

While we all have our specific likes and dislikes, I don’t find the ambi safety engagement tabs to make any difference in carrying and concealment. The maximum width of the grip portion of the factory module is about 1.092 inch; the width across the safety tabs is 1.125", or a difference of about 0.03" (1/30") greater. And the maximum width of the Wilson Combat grip module that is a little wider and easier for me to hold is about 1.187", or actually a little wider than the safety tabs.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a 2011 and have shot that almost exclusively for the last 2 years, so it's good to hear that the 365 manual safety is well executed.

Will look into a 365 with the manual safety for the rare occasion that my 2011 is too big. Don't want to break the habit of using the manual safety and, like Sigfreund and others said, I like the security of the safety when appendix carrying.

Also warming up more to the idea of the 365 now that I see the Wilson frames are a big fatter and have more of a beavertail. The few times I've shot a buddy's 365, I found it too small, and I don't have bigger than average hands, so an option that is a little more meaty, combined with a manual safety might turn the corner for me.

posted Hide Post
Went through the same situation with the Shield/P365. Sold the Shield partially because the safety was small and disengaging it never became second nature. The P365 was purchased prior to release of the MS version. Most of the time I carry in a pocket holster or belly band and thought the MS would be a bit safer. About a month ago I learned that the FCU could be inserted into a MS grip module. The swap was quick and simple and the MS gives some peace of mind as far as avoiding a ND.

The SIG safely is sized right and has a positive engagement/disengagement. The ambi safety doesn't bother me, but can modified to single sided as previously mentioned.

Posts: 772 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
Assuming you don't mind thumb safeties, the p365 one is very good. Positive click actuation, and not too heavy or too light. The only thing I don't like the fact that it is an ambi safety, mostly because the right side lever seems to stick out too far and make the pistol wider than it needs to be, especially since I'll never use it being right handed. That was easily rectified by chopping off the lever on the right side with a dremel tool. Has no effect on the safety's functionality or felt action.

I’ve converted both my P365 and P365X to manual safeties. Now I’m willing to appendix carry them 24/7.

IMHO, it’s a great addition for the P365 and super easy to do a DIY install.

Posts: 331 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry the P365. No safety.

You can buy it and install it. Grayguns has a kit, with a grip module.

Personally, one of the attractions of the P365, for me, was that it didn't have an additional safety. I didn't want one, no need for an install. The P365 is safe to carry without a manual safety. Protect the trigger.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question that didn't dawn on me until now:

Is the manual safety entirely contained in the FCU, or is there a specific slide modification that is needed? Would any aftermarket slide be compatible with the manual safety?

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Yes. If you do a search on youtube, you can find videos that show the installation of the manual safety in the P365 FCU. It should answer all your questions.

Posts: 3389 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer your question without sending you on a search, lol, the slide has no interaction with the addition (or subtraction) of the safety. You need a grip module with cutout(s) for the safety. That’s it. 5 second install seriously. If you are ok with a dremel you can do the cutouts on your standard grip module.