SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Better Late Than Never - Beretta M9
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better Late Than Never - Beretta M9 Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
Even though I'm ~30 years late for the party, I finally picked up my first Beretta M9 pistol. When I stopped at my LGS on Wednesday, they were just logging this one into the book. Lightly used but dirty, I was able to get it out the door for $400 cash - including two (2) original 15-round magazines and a cheesy blue plastic case. After a thorough detail cleaning and inspection, I ordered some metal OEM Beretta parts to replace the handful of plastic items used on this model (recoil spring guide, mag catch, lanyard loop & etc.). I also ordered Beretta's G Conversion Kit to convert the factory safety to decocker only. A quick serial number search on Beretta's website indicates my pistol was manufactured in 2014. So far I'm generally impressed with design and overall quality of the pistol. The greatest distraction perhaps is the thickness of the grip frame. While I believe the SIG P226 is a superior weapon, I wouldn't feel disadvantaged if this were my only 9mm option. Once my parts arrive, I'll be able to do a range session. Stay tuned.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great pistol. Personally, I think the Beretta 92 series guns are the smoothest shooting guns that feel like it runs on ball bearings. If the trigger pull is too heavy, you can get a "D" main spring for it, which lightens the pull but does not cause any issues with light strikes,etc.. The spring is used on their DAO guns and I believe on the Elites.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy. Love the 92 platform. Next step, pickup a Langdon Tactical Trigger-Job-In-a-Bag.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though Beretta sends 2 of all the fly-y parts, I recommend doing the G conversion spring bits inside a large zip loc bag. If the detents launch they are invisible and nearly impossible to find.

Love the 92’s. I think they are every bit as good as a 226 once you ditch the idiotic safety.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a great buy, especially at the price you paid. You're going to love it. I prefer the trigger and controls of the P226, but the Beretta is every bit it's equal in the reliability department, and they are SMOOTH. I'm confident you'll like it!

Posts: 8421 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nice grab. I've really come to like mine, and I suppose every American gun nut ought (in principle, at least) to have one at some point.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
My first love, before I was introduced to the P226.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the pick-up. That’s a sweet deal for sure!

Check out Langdon’s and Wilson Combat’s thin grips. They will absolutely change the feel of the gun. Langdon’s feel slightly thinner that Wilson’s, I think mainly due to the direction of the checkering pattern.

While I am a fan of the TJIAB, you can significantly change the trigger pull by just changing the mainspring. 92s are super easy to work on.

I love my Berettas. Some of the most accurate, flattest, soft shooting pistols out there.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
And…… Big Grin

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

At a bare minimum I always change the hammer spring and install LTT’s optimized trigger bar. It totally changes the DA/SA for the better.

And also recommend doing the G conversion kit inside a large ziplock bag. I have lost springs before.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About eight years ago I purchased a 92fs Inox at a gun show and never got around to shooting it. I have a CZ 75B I normally shoot with lots of money invested in it. When I finally took the 92fs to the range I shoot better with it than anything else.

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 17, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I concur with Chowser. I at minimum change to a LTT trigger bar & a 13# hammer spring. It really sweetens the DA/SA trigger & I do install "G" conversion in all my Berettas.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 92 was my first 9mm handgun and still one of my favorites. Even though I have smaller hands it fits me very well. I even carried it for a few years. I’ve got a few more modern variations of the 92 but the original has a cool factor that can’t be matched. It’s also been 100% reliable over the years.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Had a 92SF in the 90s - Good duty gun - and carried an M9 mobilized at Benning.

It's based off the Walther P38, and ironically the SW 39s are, too. The Walther made a big impression on Army post WWII and it was decided the 1911 fleet was old and battered, so Pistol Trials were in order. They spec'd a 9mm, shorter 4" barrel, lightweight alloy frame, and SA/DA, and SW got into the bid a bit late in the game. Army finally resolved the decision by making no decision. Almost 3 million 1911's and bunkers full of .45 ACP were sufficient for what little need existed for a service handgun.

30 years later they got all that anyway. In the meantime the SW 39 in three generations replaced the revolver in LEO service.

Because of the open slide and Beretta's other guns meeting a CCW need the 92 never became a cut down compact like others. I agree the grip is on the larger side, these days a lot of folks demand that - in the past it was considered a negative. Some didn't like double stacks in any flavor because they were doublestacked. One notable affect is that LEO's in shootings do tend to fire it more often - the round count in engagements crept up over the years, the hit ratio not so much.

Wilson in AR offers versions and has put some effort into making them competition capable.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love Berettas and have 3 . I picked up my last one about 5 years ago at an estimate sale . I got an unfired M9 for 200 bucks, cash and carry .
The deceased wasn’t a shooter, just liked to buy guns and look at them . In the box under the foam was the original gun store receipt for $610.00 .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I love the M9 myself, even more than my 92fs variants as the M9 has the bar dot sights similar to my classic Sigs.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
M9 variants also lack the 'Safety Billboard' message/rollmark on the side of the slide... Wink

I vote for the VZ G10 Ultra-Thin LTT Grips and the TJIB (Trigger Job in a Bag). You won't regret it! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
https://lokgrips.com/ are very thin & work quite well on Berettas.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also highly recommend trying out the 92X variants. The have the best factory triggers out there. I believe they ship with the D spring installed and a better trigger bar because the reset is better. Also, the Vertec grip is either a massive win or easily corrected back to standard with the supplied grips.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Love my early 92FS and I'm most of the way to having the cash free to buy an early M9 off the same guy.

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
At a bare minimum I always change the hammer spring and install LTT’s optimized trigger bar. It totally changes the DA/SA for the better.

I have to second this. I had my reservations when people told me the same thing, but it's absolutely true. It's unbelievable how much it improves the trigger, how much better it is afterwards. Like buttah. In fact, altogether, I've added the TJIAB, a 13# hammer spring, and a set of Hogue G10 checkered thin grips, and it was easy - it'll take you fifteen minutes, maybe thirty with the hammer spring included if it's your first time. Only other thing it needs is a fiber optic rod added to the front sight, and a new rear and it's everything I would want out of it.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post