SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The 10mm SIG 220ST Project
Page 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 10mm SIG 220ST Project Login/Join 
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
v2rider, sorry if I sounded a bit blunt -- I didn't mean to. It's just that there's a difference in poly guns and a handmade steel firearm. Both shoot accurately and get the job done. Look at the Rolex watch -- finely machined Swiss watch and a quality piece of mechanical workmanship.

Compare it to a $10 quartz watch (well, maybe $49.95) from Walmart and the quartz watch will keep better time. But it isn't nearly the quality piece of workmanship you'll get in the Rolex.

If Colt is back in business, I'm sure the Elite 10mm would be quality too, but Colt guns (and Smith and Ruger and Sig and Glock) are mass-produced. Guns that are handmade are treasures meant to be kept for a lifetime and then passed on to posterity.

I have a ton of Glocks around the house, and while I might pass them on to my kids when I die, they won't be anything they would treasure. Glocks, like Smiths and Rugers and Colts, are a dime a dozen. They get the job done in fine fashion, but they aren't treasures.

SIGnature: Jere

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EASHER1968
posted Hide Post
I have a wild idea, how about a P220ST in 460 Rowland?
It would give you 44 mag ballistics, wouldn't require nearly as much machining. no special mags, a compensated barrel, and a stiffer recoil spring should be all that is needed. There is such a kit for 1911 fans, why not for the P220?

ERIK M. ASHER
LIFE MEMBER OF; FLORIDA CARRY, OATH KEEPERS, GOA, NRA, VFW, VMW
P220, P220 match elite, P250, P320

Posts: 53 | Location: CITY OF PORT ST. JOE, GULF COUNTY FLORIDA | Registered: September 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EASHER1968:
It would give you 44 mag ballistics, wouldn't require nearly as much machining. no special mags, a compensated barrel, and a stiffer recoil spring should be all that is needed. There is such a kit for 1911 fans, why not for the P220?

That's been asked before and I appreciate your mentioning it as an option. However, it's a no-go.

In my opinion, the P220 design lacks adequate lockup values and mass to handle a cartridge of this intensity with any sort of reasonable service life. I believe the 10mm Norma represents the outside fringe of power for the P-series, and preferably in it's most moderate, practical loadings.

There are times when a good heavy revolver makes sense. I don't envision these 10mm P220's as raw horsepower hand-cannons, but rather as practical pistols capable of exceeding .45 ACP ballistics by a reasonable degree. We must remember than even the mildest 10mm factory loads far exceed any .45 ACP in sectional density / penetration and flat trajectory. A 175 grain bullet at 220PF will certainly outperform any .45 load on medium game, say, and still be practical for carry under some circumstances at least. That's my thrust here.

BTW, we also have a stack of .400 CorBon barrels for immediate installation, and that's another completely workable caliber that makers a lot of sense in this platform. In many ways, it's even better than the 10mm, as it delivers similar ballistics with less pressure and wear to the gun, feeds perfectly from stock mags, and costs relatively little to set up. And despite what you read, it's not bad to reload for.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Bruce, not to go off on a tangent but I'm curious why the long slide compensated P7's don't have lengthened barrels (versus an expansion chamber compensator)? Are barrels difficult/expensive to procure and press-fit? If one could find a long threaded barrel, which are rarely available, could you build a lengthened slide around it?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Bruce, not to go off on a tangent but I'm curious why the long slide compensated P7's don't have lengthened barrels (versus an expansion chamber compensator)? Are barrels difficult/expensive to procure and press-fit? If one could find a long threaded barrel, which are rarely available, could you build a lengthened slide around it?

How would we assemble and strip it?

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:
Originally posted by EASHER1968:

That's been asked before and I appreciate your mentioning it as an option. However, it's a no-go.

In my opinion, the P220 design lacks adequate lockup values and mass to handle a cartridge of this intensity with any sort of reasonable service life. I believe the 10mm Norma represents the outside fringe of power for the P-series, and preferably in it's most moderate, practical loadings.

There are times when a good heavy revolver makes sense. I don't envision these 10mm P220's as raw horsepower hand-cannons, but rather as practical pistols capable of exceeding .45 ACP ballistics by a reasonable degree. We must remember than even the mildest 10mm factory loads far exceed any .45 ACP in sectional density / penetration and flat trajectory. A 175 grain bullet at 220PF will certainly outperform any .45 load on medium game, say, and still be practical for carry under some circumstances at least. That's my thrust here.

BTW, we also have a stack of .400 CorBon barrels for immediate installation, and that's another completely workable caliber that makers a lot of sense in this platform. In many ways, it's even better than the 10mm, as it delivers similar ballistics with less pressure and wear to the gun, feeds perfectly from stock mags, and costs relatively little to set up. And despite what you read, it's not bad to reload for.

-Bruce

Do you have a .400 CorBon barrel for a P245/P220 compact?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Do you have a .400 CorBon barrel for a P245/P220 compact?

Sure, a P245 or 220C in .400 might likely function pretty reliably for some number of rounds. However, I'd advise against this as being impractical, offering seriously diminished service life at the very least. These light and short .45's don't tolerate +P loads too well, much less this sort of abuse.

I think the defensive .400 is best when chambered in a suitably robust pistol, and when carried in full appreciation of the trade-offs involved. A later-production alloy-framed P220 full size would be an acceptable compromise that I could get behind, given a few commonsense stipulations relating to maintenance and service life.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Bruce will the stainless P220 hold up to the 40 Super? The pressures of this round are simuliar to the 10mm. The heaviest bullet Doubletap makes for now is 200gr-an option I don't think you can get for the Corbon 400 yet.
I think in the near future Mike will come out with 200 and 230gr hardcast bullets for those that need it.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
Bruce will the stainless P220 hold up to the 40 Super? The pressures of this round are simuliar to the 10mm. The heaviest bullet Doubletap makes for now is 200gr-an option I don't think you can get for the Corbon 400 yet.
I think in the near future Mike will come out with 200 and 230gr hardcast bullets for those that need it.

No, for a number of reasons. 37,000 PSI is grossly excessive in such volume. The advantage of the .400 CorBon is that it delivers 10mm ballistics at close to +P .45ACP pressures. The .40 Super totally negates that advantage. I do not consider it a safe, proven round in anything other than the heaviest 1911-platform guns, overbuilt for the purpose...maybe.

If you want raw horsepower, I suggest a heavy-calibre revolver. Even then, I believe the .40 Super is one of those generally-impractical ideas whose time has come and gone.

We can't endorse use of anything other than mainstream factory loadings in these 10's, and caution our friends to be very careful to avoid ammo that exceeds currently accepted performance specs for any cartridge. The major makers have the experience and technology to assure that their products perform safely and reliably in a wide range of guns. That is some of the reason why you don't find .40 Super being loaded by Federal, and why the major makers tend to stick with cartridges for which SAAMI has set standards.

My face, such as it is, has value to me.

.400 CorBon (or moderate 10mm) should be more than enough for any practical purpose for which a P220 service pistol would be appropriate. Driving one harder than that seems pointless to me.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bruce.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure someone has asked this already but I cannot locate it. Is GGI accepting these conversions on 220 stainless elite?

Posts: 15 | Location: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: March 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtekr:
I am sure someone has asked this already but I cannot locate it. Is GGI accepting these conversions on 220 stainless elite?

We will be once the time is right and the next run of barrels and mags are in house. We didn't coordinate our first set of 10mm conversions very well, which added to shop time needlessly. We will only announce the next run and take orders from our wait list once everything is ready, and these will be done one at a time on each customer's 220ST / Elite Stainless, in order. That way, I can assure quality and completeness of the highest order possible.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

posted Hide Post
How do the 400 CORBON conversion work?

See Everything.

Posts: 39 | Registered: August 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch_Rapp.45:

Perfectly!

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Perfectly!

-Bruce

Bruce,
Thank you for illustrating just how poorly written my question was. Is the 400 conversion just a barrel swap or is it more involved than that? I am still leaning toward a 10mm, but have not convinced myself I deserve something so nice.
Lee

See Everything.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Perfectly!

-Bruce

Bruce,
Thank you for illustrating just how poorly written my question was. Is the 400 conversion just a barrel swap or is it more involved than that? I am still leaning toward a 10mm, but have not convinced myself I deserve something so nice.
Lee

Hi! I was being too literal. Actually, the .400 conversion is pretty straightforward. Barrel fitting,some mag tweaks perhaps, feed and reliability workup, a good recoil spring. It's not a bad deal at all. Thanks!

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

posted Hide Post
Bruce,
Are the 400 Conversions also limited to ST guns?
Lee

See Everything.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bruce,
Are the 400 Conversions also limited to ST guns?
Lee

No, not exactly. As a daily shooter, no. But, as a high-performance carry option, yes. The .400 operates at less maximum pressure compared to 10mm, and an alloy-framed P220 with the modern full-weight stainless slide can handle it within reason if otherwise well set up, and given moderate use. We can't imagine that service life won't be diminished, but for the relatively low round count I'd expect the prudent shooter to fire in proving and carrying the thing, it should work out well enough if principle practice is conducted with .45 standard loads. It's this that makes the .400 attractive, despite it's deficits in ammo choices and ready availability.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Picture of TMSig80
posted Hide Post
I read the first 5 pages and then skipped to the very last. I am fairly sure this is a repeating question, but when would I have to have the money by? Where do I sign up?

Edited question:
Is the performance on this custom Sig going to be as reliable as most Sigs on the market? As in, 1000+ shots no problems? (With assumed maintenance of course)

Posts: 202 | Registered: May 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMSig80:
I read the first 5 pages and then skipped to the very last. I am fairly sure this is a repeating question, but when would I have to have the money by? Where do I sign up?

Edited question:
Is the performance on this custom Sig going to be as reliable as most Sigs on the market? As in, 1000+ shots no problems? (With assumed maintenance of course)

About half way up this page Bruce said "We will be once the time is right and the next run of barrels and mags are in house. We didn't coordinate our first set of 10mm conversions very well, which added to shop time needlessly. We will only announce the next run and take orders from our wait list once everything is ready, and these will be done one at a time on each customer's 220ST / Elite Stainless, in order. That way, I can assure quality and completeness of the highest order possible."

I hope that answers your questions.

- Michael -

Posts: 15 | Location: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: March 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post