SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I didnt need another old school single stack - S&W 908
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I didnt need another old school single stack - S&W 908 Login/Join 
posted
I stumbled on this 908 on a local classified. At $375 it seemed like a decent deal.
So far this year I've picked up a SA Garrison, S&W 4516, p938 and now this. I guess I have a thing for single stacks.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feeling your pain. Somehow, three P220's found their way home with me as I sold off 1911's.......funny how now different 1911's are creeping back into the safe, Wink.
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
IF only more mags were floating around. So far gawdawful expensive beat-to-snot mags on FleaBag have been the best I've found for a 909.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I had a 908 once upon a time and it was an excellent handgun.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have had a hard time passing that up also. Congratulations on a fine specimen!

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
IF only more mags were floating around. So far gawdawful expensive beat-to-snot mags on FleaBag have been the best I've found for a 909.

Yeah this one 9nly came with one mag. I don't see myself carrying it on a regular basis but it would be nice to get a couple more magazines.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure how old that is, but looks LNIB, congrats!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best thing about the 908 is the Novak sight, instead of the huge winged sight S&W was fond of putting on the Gen 3s.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yours is slightly nicer than mine, but one of my favorites.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Best thing about the 908 is the Novak sight, instead of the huge winged sight S&W was fond of putting on the Gen 3s.

I think the 908 was part of Smith's Value Series. With that series, Smith was trying to reduce costs to better compete with the wave of polymer guns that were making their presence felt.

On most of the Value Series guns, genuine Novack sights are one of the things that cut out.

A lot of those guns were shipped with proprietary plastic Novak-like sights.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I think the 908 was part of Smith's Value Series. With that series, Smith was trying to reduce costs to better compete with the wave of polymer guns that were making their presence felt.

On most of the Value Series guns, genuine Novack sights are one of the things that cut out.

A lot of those guns were shipped with proprietary plastic Novak-like sights.

That is correct. They are Novak like but are plastic.
If this was a regular carry gun, I'd replace the sites. They are a little small and difficult to get a quick site picture.

posted Hide Post
One thing I like about the value series is the non-ambi safety. It makes it a little thinner and sleeker than other 3rd gens I've handled. If carried, I'd carry with the safety off and only use it as a decocker.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
Yeah this one 9nly came with one mag. I don't see myself carrying it on a regular basis but it would be nice to get a couple more magazines.

Well, it's nice to have a new excuse to troll gun shows. Razz

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Poor Man's 3913.....

This was the first pistol I bought my wife when we started dating in 2002. Was her primary carry for years. Now its her backup jeep-gun, since being semi-retired by her Shield 9mm. Still a great gun.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pickup. Mine has been an excellent pistol.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years my everyday carry was a .4553, when i "Upgraded" it was to a P239, go figure.

Posts: 93 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice catch. I love the S&W 3rd gen pistols. I just wish I could shoot them as accurately as my other guns.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post