SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig part number listing for 1994 P220?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig part number listing for 1994 P220? Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I am trying to figure out parts interchange for backup situation for my 'new to me' P220 in .38Super.

It was made in 1994, so any parts listings from the 1993-1995 era would be very useful.

I called Sig but they couldn't tell me if things like the slide stop/ejector are the same in the .45acp and .38Super versions of the P220.

Also, in looking at the barrel, it seems that the barrel itself might be narrower at the muzzle- thus equaling a smaller barrel hole in the slide- than a p220 in .45.

I know some of us obtain catalogs and parts manuals for when they are no longer readily accessible, so I thought I'd ask to see if any of you do have such and can share?

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The lists I have don’t include many parts for the 38 Super P220; the only one I have is:
34222030*; extractor; P220 (9mm/38 Super), P226 (carbon steel slide)

The diameter of the 45 ACP P220 barrel(s) I’ve measured is 0.591". If you are concerned about the barrel diameter of yours, I recommend measuring it at several points with good calipers.

* SIG has changed part numbers at least once; that was one from early 2000s.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Sigfreund,

Thank you. That is a good start. I have sourced a spare extractor for this now.

I also discovered that the recoil rod has a different diameter head on the .38Super, to fit into the locking block.

I tried sliding my P220 .22lr conversion kit on, and the recoil rod wouldn't insert properly. I then realized that lip that retains the spring was too wide.

I hope the hammer/fire control parts are the same.

I would assume the slide stop/ejector is different, with a longer ejector tab due to the narrower case.

I need to dig my P220 out of the safe to remove both ejectors and compare- side to side.

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are very different.

The P220 was originally a 9mm. Then they diversified a few more options before making it a 45 Auto (and later 10mm).

From what I understand, the slide stop should be the same. The hammer & trigger assembly have the same mechanicals overall, but as you have found out, some items were redesigned as time progressed.
The upper is where most of the changes took place with the 45 Auto conversion.

I consider the P220 to have four groups:

• 9mm Para, 9mm Luger, 7.65mm, 9x21, 38 Super, 9mm Steyr
  • 22lr
  • 45 Auto
  • 10mm

While there are many variations within those four groups (SAO, X-Six Kellerman), I consider them to be architecturally different.
    The 38 Super and 45 Auto barrel diameters are different, therefore the slide dimensions (including the muzzle) are as well. This is most noticeable on the 7.65mm P220 (and P226).

I don't think a parts list would do much good as I also found out that the locking insert for a DA/SA 10mm didn't work in a SAO 10mm even though they have the same part number.

•  
    Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Hmmm.

Thanks for the info. I am still processing stuff from all sources, as I learn more about this pistol.

I like .38Super [my 94 P220], but realize ammo isn't as easy to find [I don't reload- yet].

From what I've read, if I can find a 9mm P220 barrel, I could slap that into my .38Super, and then add 9mm mags to be able to shoot it in 9mm also.

On another sig forum, I stumbled upon someone who claimed that the P226 9mm barrel was the same diameter as the .38 super.

It sounded like, from that thread, I might be able to use a P226 9mm barrel with the P220 .38 Super slide and locking block.

Any idea of if this is possible?

I can't imagine that they would have a .38super AND a 9mm locking block for the P220 frame, but- I've been told about a lack of imagination before.