SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Milt Spartks 55BN Holster Arrived
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milt Spartks 55BN Holster Arrived Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday my Milt Sparks holster (55BN with the FBI Cant) arrived for my Springfield Custom .45 1911. I ordered it May 14th. It was worth the wait.

It fits the Springfield perfectly out of the box. No blocking required. It comes with stitched in leather front sight channels which is really nice.

I wanted a nice leather holster and not Kydex for this Springfield and the 55BN is very nice..

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on that Sparks holster! I’m a Milt Sparks fan myself and have been able, over time, to find some good examples on the second-hand market; however, it is quite rewarding when your new order from them at last lands at your doorstep!

Sparks Roadrunner shown here, sometimes known as their “old-style 60TK” model. It’s no longer formally cataloged but available on request for some handguns. I’d read about them and had to have one haha…arrived just about this time a year ago and has become / remained one of my favorites. Shown here with a 1911, I now have one on-order for a Browning Hi Power, due in the April / May 2022 timeframe.

To your point, all of my Sparks gear for assorted handguns and magazines has been an excellent fit right out of the package.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I have a large order being made as we speak. One of the holsters is an optic cut VMII for a P320 Carry on an AXG frame. I had to send in the AXG frame for them to make it as the AXG is slightly larger around the trigger guard than the polymer framed grips.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:

Wow! What cant degree is that? Is it more for small of the back?

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:

Not that it possibly couldn’t be worn small-of-back, but my take on it is that it’s just a high-riding, forward-canted pancake-style holster. The 60TK that replaced it rides high, too, but is not nearly canted like this one. I’m not sure of the exact degree of cant on this one; it’s definitely more than, say, the FBI cant they offer on the 55BN.

I tend to prefer my holsters set up this way when I can get it: riding high and forward.

I wear it as shown:

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
quote:

Not that it possibly couldn’t be worn small-of-back, but my take on it is that it’s just a high-riding, forward-canted pancake-style holster. The 60TK that replaced it rides high, too, but is not nearly canted like this one. I’m not sure of the exact degree of cant on this one; it’s definitely more than, say, the FBI cant they offer on the 55BN.

I tend to prefer my holsters set up this way when I can get it: riding high and forward.

Thanks for the photo - that's certainly a good looking piece of leather. Really interesting how the opening is almost the reverse of normal, with the reinforced "mouth" at the rear and the front open. Pretty cool design.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for the photo - that's certainly a good looking piece of leather. Really interesting how the opening is almost the reverse of normal, with the reinforced "mouth" at the rear and the front open. Pretty cool design.

You’re welcome! Truly, this holster’s a bit of an odd bird; I was surprised to find that Sparks would still craft them by-request.

posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of the 55bn, I prefer the no cant myself, I carry a Wiley Clapp Colt Commander in one when I carry a 1911. All their stuff is money well spent

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 55bn with straight drop. It’s a great owb holster

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your first Milt Sparks holster. I've been a user of Sparks leather since the early Seventies. Their quality has never wavered. Even after Milt died and Tom Kanaley took over. A classic and classy leather maker.

Originally, I was using 1911's and utilized IWB only. Went through the progression of Summer Special, Executive's Companion and VM-2. As I started using fatter pistols like the classic Sigs, G19 and P239, I began using a belt holster during the winter months. Consequently, I would always order both an IWB and OWB (#55BN) for any new carry pistol. The "BN" designation references Bruce Nelson, another old time holster maker who designed it.

In the old days there were very few custom holster makers. Also, most of the "carry" holsters in those days had 2 1/4" belt loops. Your "choice" of any size, as long as it was 2 1/4". Smile For you younger guys, that was the standard size belt for police duty holsters. Never did discover why that carried over to CCW holsters. Simplified inventory, I guess.

Personal anecdote: In the Eighties I had ordered a holster and it seemed to be taking longer than usual. Eventually, I received a hand written note from Mrs. Sparks. She apologized for the inordinate amount of time it was taking and explained why. She and Milt were at Gunsite for a couple of weeks visiting Jeff Cooper.

BTW, I am STILL excited whenever I get a new holster delivered from Sparks.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Tony Kanealy has also retired. He sold the business to the employees.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malysh:
Tony Kanealy has also retired. He sold the business to the employees.

Wow! I was not aware of that. I love Sparks leather and have several. I hope things remain the same.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Things are basically the same.

I bought a Sparks gun belt via Top Gun Supply last year. When I put on it left black dye all around the waist band of my jeans. The dye is indelible. I called Sparks and sent the belt back because it continued to bleed dye. After they looked it over and called me back they said they forgot to put sealer over the dye.
They sent me a new belt and I requested reimbursment for my shipping, so a check was sent, too.
I'm being picky, but they were pretty cold about it. I got a vibe they didn't believe me. I got nothing for the belt ruining my jeans. I offered send pictures of the pants; they weren't interested.
Theses young guys weren't mature enough to even apologize for a mistake to a 30 + year customer. Most businesses are adept enough to apologize to a customer for the mistake. The belt and it's replacement are made as well as they always were. I'm and old guy and I have learned over the years there's no sense in getting mad and personal about a business problem, so rest assured I was very polite, but frankly, this young man's attitude sucked.

I have used Sparks, Kramer, and Null holsters for decades. Rencently, a Mitch Rosen. They are all excellent and completely equal in quality.

If I need another Sparks holster I will buy one. If something's wrong with it, that's the end for me.

Plastic holsters or hybrids are non-starters for me. I don't like them.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post