SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What airsoft pistol would be good for my 8 year old son?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What airsoft pistol would be good for my 8 year old son? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have never bought an airsoft gun before. My son has been asking for one but I have no clue what to get him. He wants to buy it with his birthday money.

I know he’s like one that is looks realistic. I will be locking it in my safe when he and I are not using it.

I knew this would be a great place to ask.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've recently just discovered air soft and so am by no means an expert....

Eight year old I'm thinking small hands need a smallish pistol.....

I'm sorely temped to buy one of these (Sig p365)

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-air-pistol.html

Edit: I was going to buy one of these to go with the P226 air soft I already have that shoots the 6mm plastic balls (BBs) and realized that the 'air soft' pistol sig is selling actually shoots regular BBs. So, that is probably not what you are looking for.... 'he might shoot his or someone else's eye out' of corse you can do that with the plastic BBs too.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, KJW tends to make good ones.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I’ll check them both out.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
KJW is the maker of the one I bought from a fellow member here which is a pretty darn good copy of a P226. I'm not sure of which other models they might make...

You also have to decide between green gas or CO2.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I knew CO2 was one. Never heard of green gas. I know some are spring powered. Was thinkin spring for him to begin with.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
From my quick search with just the KJWs it looks like spring powered are usually a good bit cheaper...

Green gas is actually propane in a bottle and they leave out the mercaptin, which is a chemical that makes the rotten egg smell. Neither propane or natural gas has any odor when in their pure state. then silicone of some sort is added for lubrication... the magazine that holds the plastic bbs is then charged from the bottle.. seems this does not give one quite as much fps as with a CO2 cartridge.... but it is easier to charge one than having to replace the cartridge.....

And one of the spring powered ones might be a 'safer' choice for an 8 year old....

I do have to say (a long time ago... early 60's) my father bought me a handgun for my 7th birthday... Single Action revolver in 22 magnum.... that lasted about one month before the powers that be (Grandmother, Mother and Great Aunt) decided it was not a good idea... I was 'helping out' at our familie's peach stand out in the country and a guy from up north stopped to buy some and commented on that pretty cap gun I had holstered on my side. I politely informed him it was not a cap gun but real and he laughed at me and so I proceeded to draw it and aim at the stop sign about 50 yards away and fire one of those 22 magnums off... I think the guy had to clean his shorts when he got home... and I lost the right to carry the revolver....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I do have to say (a long time ago... early 60's) my father bought me a handgun for my 7th birthday... Single Action revolver in 22 magnum.... that lasted about one month before the powers that be (Grandmother, Mother and Great Aunt) decided it was not a good idea... I was 'helping out' at our familie's peach stand out in the country and a guy from up north stopped to buy some and commented on that pretty cap gun I had holstered on my side. I politely informed him it was not a cap gun but real and he laughed at me and so I proceeded to draw it and aim at the stop sign about 50 yards away and fire one of those 22 magnums off... I think the guy had to clean his shorts when he got home... and I lost the right to carry the revolver....

LOL, literally. Thanks for sharing. That's a made for television skit right there if I've ever heard one.

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the info on the air soft. I also thoroughly enjoyed your revolver story! I wish I coulda seen the look on that guy’s face when you shot that stop sign!

quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
From my quick search with just the KJWs it looks like spring powered are usually a good bit cheaper...

Green gas is actually propane in a bottle and they leave out the mercaptin, which is a chemical that makes the rotten egg smell. Neither propane or natural gas has any odor when in their pure state. then silicone of some sort is added for lubrication... the magazine that holds the plastic bbs is then charged from the bottle.. seems this does not give one quite as much fps as with a CO2 cartridge.... but it is easier to charge one than having to replace the cartridge.....

And one of the spring powered ones might be a 'safer' choice for an 8 year old....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

posted Hide Post
I have a SIG P320 airgun. I have been impressed with it thus far. Three "magazines" in and it shoots well, I will report back as I keep using it.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2507 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not like my kids having toy guns. The odd cap gun made it into the house but I generally discouraged them. Instead, every time I came home from the range I had them help me disassemble and clean my weapons. I taught them how they work and taught them gun safety in the process. At 7 years old or just under, I purchased a single shot .22 cut down for a child of that size and various targets. Paper, spinners. I taught them to shoot and to respect the real thing. Everyone is different and I am in no way disparaging your choice, I just thought it worth mentioning how I handled it.

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post