SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did Sig make a nickel P229 .40 magazine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did Sig make a nickel P229 .40 magazine? Login/Join 
Picture of inspcalahan
posted
I just picked up a pile of magazines at auction that included some pre ban P229 .40S&W 12 rd mags. One of the mags is what appears to be bright shiny nickel. It's not the more satin texture I'm familiar with on the nickel P229 guns but is more shiny and very smooth. It is marked as a factory Sig mag, zipper back....

I'm just checking to see if it's somewhat uncommon as a Sig Mag, perfectly normal nothing special, or unsure.... I just don't think I've seen a shiny nickel finish Sig mag. Can't post pics but would email them to someone if they need to see them.

Posts: 843 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I know they had “silver” mags for the Sport models but I also wouldn’t bet my paycheck on those being nickel. Not sure about the regular GOTM and other nickel offerings.

Someone much more knowledgeable will surely know 100%.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"Shiny" as in polished look? No.

And, "zipper back"? Never seen a zipper back P229 mag. They're all dovetail.

Q

Posts: 27610 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
"Shiny" as in polished look? No.

And, "zipper back"? Never seen a zipper back P229 mag. They're all dovetail.

It's not polished, just much more bright than say my late 90s nickel 228 slide was...that was more matte nickel..this is smooth and more silver.

And I'm an idiot... I meant dovetail. My brain went a little far back to my old zipper back 226 mags. This one is dovetail.

Posts: 843 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Email me pics, and I'll post them.

There are no zipper back P226 mags, either. Wink

Q

Posts: 27610 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Man, you keep slugging away and correctly so. That one was at least just a typo, intending for P220 and those I KNOW I have a few of.

Anyway, email sent with a few pics.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Posting OP's pics.

Of course, you can never be 100% sure, because you're not original owner, but that appears factory nickel to my eyes. I've had factory SIG nickel mags with different looks and textures. But, one thing I've never seen is one that is mirror polished.

Q

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen one of those before.

More interesting than that is the mag says it is for .40 and doesn't also have 357 Sig.

The only similar mag I've seen was for a P226 and says it is for a 357 Sig, but not .40.

Seems there would be a short production window for the markings, if nothing else.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post