SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    14 inch shockwave
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14 inch shockwave Login/Join 
Picture of Udo
posted
Didn’t know where else to post. Is the Mossberg shockwave with 14 inch barrel legal without special permit? I live in a free state.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's even legal in my un-free state.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yes it’s legal, as sold, without a special permit in TN.

I know a lot of people have added pistol braces to theirs and at one point the ATF said that was okay too. I wanted to add a stock so I just paid the $200 and made mine a SBS.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We used 14” 870s (they had full stocks) when I was in the CG, and I’m here to tell you that the slugs not only gave you a whallop, but the fireball was impressive. I wouldn’t try slugs in one of the shockwave or the Tac14.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
We used 14” 870s (they had full stocks) when I was in the CG, and I’m here to tell you that the slugs not only gave you a whallop, but the fireball was impressive. I wouldn’t try slugs in one of the shockwave or the Tac14.

I’ve shot slugs from mine (with a stock) and yeah, they are punchy. Definitely not a fun day at the range type of load. I did fire some of those mini-shell slugs out of mine when it still had the birdshead grip on it but I am not convinced that’s a good SD load.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I wouldn’t try slugs in one of the shockwave or the Tac14.

2 3/4 inchers aren't bad, but I wouldn't do a 3 incher unless you want a sprained wrist.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and put a MESA tactical buffer tube adapter on it with an SBA4 brace.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
The “S” version is supposed to handle “shorties“ (1.75) well in addition sizes up to three inch. That’s my interest. No desire to pump any three inchers out of it.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Both Mossberg, Remington, and now import guns are legal to own and use. Some take them to the range and shoot clays, which by all accounts sharpens up their use quickly. State regulations are the key, not ATF. MO sells them left and right, hard to find them in stock, but they have not been accepted by the Conservation department for hunting, especially deer. Now, if you can hunt with bow, or "any centerfire cartridge" which included .25 ACP or .17 Whatever, it should be apparent that it's less ballistics involved as it is being "nottashotgun." It took a long time to get AR pistols accepted, too.

Mossbergs old need an adapter to shoot minishells and since those took off they are now the preferred round, slugs are 2X the power of a .45 and thats no joke. Remingtons aren't reliable with the minishells and it's not getting traction to fix it, new Mossbergs have an altered feed and handle them all now. The imports are eating away at the price point $100 cheaper, there's one that is semi auto less than the pump Mossberg BUT minishells aren't compatible with the gas systems. I guess you can only valve them so far.

Application is the same as the old shorties with pistol grip which will force recoil on your wrist to uncomfortable levels. The birds head is remarkably easier and much less battering. Their best niche is for personal defense - a step up from handgun carry where the next step up in power is required. As said above, CG used their 14" which means on board ships clearing passageways, same as the old XM177 was intended in Vietnam for urban or tunnel use. That configuration is still in use and its the sole reason why AR pistols are popular - the 11" AR pistol is effective.

Either were trashtalked as "range toys" yet many of the detractors who originally despised them now teach self defense with them.

The AR pistol, just UNDER 26", and the Shockwaves at just OVER 26" have a major difference in carry. Under 26" means you can conceal it - even transporting in vehicle loaded in a case it's usually legal your state may vary. Over 26" no, it's open carry only in most states, the grip is usually left exposed and transport in a vehicle most usually requires it unloaded with ammo separate.

Yes its tedious and stupid. Its what Congress handed the ATF with the 1934 NFA, which is why that law needs to be removed. The Hearing Protection Act would strip silencers out of it, and a new proposed law would clean up some of the stupid with the 26" line in the sand, too, as a way to stop any "brace makes it a Stamped Short Barrel", which is how the ATF is now trying to outlaw easy sales.

Of all the recent field testing on Shockwave type firearms, the shooters are focusing on short range personal defense with less than magnum loads, minishells and light 2 3/4 preferred. For the same reason we don't carry Automags, we aren't feeling that lucky after touching off a few.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As previously stated it's legal though I haven't researched Tennessee law.

I initially thought the Shockwave concept was the most idiotic thing I had seen, so of course I bought into it. Turns out I could qualify with it (the Remington TAC version) on our shotgun course, though I opted out of the optional 50 foot slug stage. While my preference is for a 14 inch full stock SBS, my agency didn't provide them and I didn't jump through the BATFE hoops to get one. I carried it and found it useful in really tight environs like single-wide mobile homes and vehicles.

I can't see putting a brace on one as there wouldn't be a butt pad to distribute recoil and it would all be distributed through the relatively small contact area of the brace.

Enjoy your new gun - with practice it can be more than a range toy.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Legal under TN law. I NFA stamped mine and added a stock to make it more practical to actually use. We issue 14 inch 870s at work and in my mind there is no better tool than a SBS for defense at room clearing distances.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:

Enjoy your new gun - with practice it can be more than a range toy.

Absolutely it can be. I’ve read a lot of posts about how these are impossible to shoot accurately but with practice it’s not that hard. This target is two slugs and two shells of federal flite control 00 buck at 15 yards. This was when I still had the birdshead grip on it too. That’s more than accurate enough for many applications.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A woman I shoot with every week has one of these for a home defense gun. Longest possible shot in her house is around 10 yards, so it's a good choice.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
The “S” version is supposed to handle “shorties“ (1.75) well in addition sizes up to three inch. That’s my interest. No desire to pump any three inchers out of it.

Get the S model. You can mix and match shell lengths and it does not require an adapter for mini-shells.

https://www.mossberg.com/categ...wave/590s-shockwave/

I have the 12ga basic model which needs an adapter for the mini-shells, I have to take the adapter out to fire longer shells.

Aguila also makes mini-shells, here's a report on Federal:

https://www.gunsandammo.com/ed...mo-evaluation/374496

I got mine here, the S model is out of stock:

https://www.kygunco.com/produc...-12ga-18.5-blued-9rd

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I agree with the advice to get the S model. If you don’t though and you buy an adapter make sure to get it directly from the manufacturer. There were a lot of fakes on Amazon originally so I wouldn’t trust any from there.

https://www.opsolmini-clip.com/

posted Hide Post
In Ga it’s perfectly legal. Some people say you can can the stock, some say you can’t.

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT1996:
In Ga it’s perfectly legal. Some people say you can can the stock, some say you can’t.

The reason it can have a 14" barrel is because it's a firearm, not a shotgun. If a stock is added, then it's meant to be shouldered, making it a shotgun. And with a 14" barrel, it would become an SBS (short barreled shotgun).

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I agree with the advice to get the S model. If you don’t though and you buy an adapter make sure to get it directly from the manufacturer. There were a lot of fakes on Amazon originally so I wouldn’t trust any from there.

Do you need to remove the adapter before using 2 3/4" shells?

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Do you need to remove the adapter before using 2 3/4" shells?

rambo

Yes. That's a downside to the OPSol adapter. Oh as well as misplacing it when it's out of the Shockwave or standard Mossberg pump (just ask me how I know).

The OPSol adapter is also available from other online gun dealers as well (Brownell's, MidwayUSA, etc).

When they first went live it was legitimately available on Amazon as sold by OPSol, which is where I bought mine. It shipped from OPSol in Texas, not from one of Amazon's warehouses. I don't know much about any counterfeits that may have shown up later, but Amazon shut OPSol's sales down once they realized that the adapter inserts INSIDE the shotgun, which apparently is their 'do not cross' line when determining which gun parts are acceptable to sell on their site and which are not.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen if you plan on using minishells the original Shockwave with Opsol is cheaper. As the new S models are coming into stock the older ones are getting a light discount at best, but the newer model is an uptick in price.

I was in Branson a few years back at a tool shop on a mall, they had added firearms to their product lines. Some out of state shoppers were discussing with the sales clerks the issue of ATF regs and what they could or could not purchase. No handguns could be taken out of the store but shipping to their state located FFL was minimal, yet they could leave with the Shockwave. It confounded them. It was a wakeup about ATF regs and the contrived way things are handled.

'I can't believe we can buy a handgun but can't take it, but we can buy a sawed off shotgun and openly carry in this state?'

'Yep.'

I didn't involve myself. I was carrying and the clerks were explaining it right anyway. I've visited 2-3 times since, none in stock there, none at the local Ag store, none at the sporting goods store, it's a high demand item. The Remington is higher and equally out of stock everywhere.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post