SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red box?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red box? Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a like new 239 .40 from gunsamerica.
Guy said excellent condition. Always nervous on those buys until I see it.
Guy should have said "new in box". Red box that is.
Date says 11/2016. Never saw a red sig factory box before. Hope it desn't mean danger!

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once and awhile.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
In my experience a RED Sig box was used for CPO Sigs. If that's the case, you should be good to go.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Picked up a like new 239 .40 from gunsamerica.
Guy said excellent condition. Always nervous on those buys until I see it.
Guy should have said "new in box". Red box that is.
Date says 11/2016. Never saw a red sig factory box before. Hope it desn't mean danger!

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once and awhile.

Sounds like CPO SIG. However, does it have the labels with matching serial number and the Part Number that starts with "UD"? If not, then someone just found the red box and put the gun in.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, UD# and the correct serials.

Did they refinish those CPO's? Rails and barrel don't have a mark on them.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Yes, UD# and the correct serials.

Did they refinish those CPO's? Rails and barrel don't have a mark on them.

Although I've not personally seen one, some on here has seen plenty examples of CPO SIGs that were refinished. And, I have no reasons to doubt him.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
From what I have read, it depends on the condition of the gun. Ones in very good condition are left alone, worse ones get refinished, and really bad ones get replacement parts (slide, barrel) often from other guns.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The red box pistols are really a good deal compared to new. Sig goes through the pistol,replaces what needs to be replaced and if anything looks worn they refinish it or sometimes they are just new parts. I had a red box pistol and it looked like new and you could not tell it from new. They have the same guarantee like new ones as well.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
The red box pistols are really a good deal ... They have the same guarantee like new ones as well.

I believe CPOs only have a one year warranty to the original owner, unless that has changed recently.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Yep - red box = Certified Pre Owned. They are good-to-go.

Yes, some CPOs were refinished. I have a 228 CPO Frankengun that almost has a parkerized finish on the slide. KA slide (with the original rollmarks milled off) on a 1997 frame.

There was a period of time (2005-ish maybe, IIRC) where they did a horrible job of refinishing them. To the point you could flick off the coating with your finger. But I think that got resolved pretty quickly.

Don't see near as many CPOs nowadays.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
The red box pistols are really a good deal ... They have the same guarantee like new ones as well.

I believe CPOs only have a one year warranty to the original owner, unless that has changed recently.
I was told recently as well that it is one year to the original owner.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
My P226 red box was completely refinished, top and bottom. Looked new.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
There was a period of time (2005-ish maybe, IIRC) where they did a horrible job of refinishing them. To the point you could flick off the coating with your finger. But I think that got resolved pretty quickly.

Yep. My second Sig was a 226 CPO with a flaking finish. They replaced the entire gun. The finish on the replacement was much better.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also purchased a "Red Box" CPO P239 from a place on GunsAmerica.
Paid $550 plus $25 shipping for a gun that looks brand new.
A great deal in my opinion.

Now if I could just find some D**N magazines for it ! ! !

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always used to think that the Red Boxes were for the refurbished models.

Posts: 7 | Registered: March 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Despite their condition, I still wouldn't call a CPO "new in box"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KyCoo:
I always used to think that the Red Boxes were for the refurbished models.

That's basically what a CPO is.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Despite their condition, I still wouldn't call a CPO "new in box"

Yup. They are used guns, even in cases where they were turned in by LE agencies sitting in armory and having never been issued.

Q

posted Hide Post
Put about 160 rounds through it. 1 magazine is giving me trouble. All the rest are ok.
For 458. plus shipping, I'm not unhappy with a used gun.
If Para takes a day off, I could sell the gun for 1200. and each magazines for 125.!!!!

(Para..kidding)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

That is good to hear! I've heard mixed reviews on the warranty part. Some say the finish is not covered and some, like you, report having it replaced.

Yep. My second Sig was a 226 CPO with a flaking finish. They replaced the entire gun. The finish on the replacement was much better.

Posts: 25 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Recognizing this is a two year old thread...I've owned several CPO pistols which looked as factory new.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post