SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol for 70 y/o with shoulder and wrist problems
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol for 70 y/o with shoulder and wrist problems Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I agree with those that recommend the Keltec PMR 30 and the FN 5.7 if you want a semi-auto pistol.

Regarding a revolver take a look at the Ruger offering in the LCRx section:

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/models.html

They have various calibers for your consideration.

Posts: 18 | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I watched a older lady at the range today being instructed with one of these. I have never seen any semi auto as easy to rack the slide.

LINK

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had quite a bit of experience with strength-limited competitors. It is not easy to fit them. Difficulty racking is the first issue and, when that can be managed, finger-on-the-trigger is often an issue. Down-loading ammo plus softer recoil spring can help, but the trigger must still be at the right distance.
The new-ish S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 4 inch (p/n 11683) with its included four back-straps takes care of trigger-finger issue and the recoil spring is not too difficult to replace with spring from Brownell (or several others) and swapping sear for Apex two-dot sear results in a lower cost excellent pistol ready for several tasks.

For a starter pistol, or as a working pistol for those for whom the 4" M&P is still too difficult, a solid choice is the S&W EZ in 380. The EZ is for someone who can not (yet) deal with a bigger Boom and like the M&P M2.0 4" is made in USA and is relatively low cost.

Recently, I watched a slight-build, short-finger NRA Instructor evaluating an EZ. Low recoil and easy to operate. Ideal instructional pistol.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife has not very strong hands and wrists, racking a P225 or P226 slide is hard for her.
At the suggestion of Randy Lee (Apex Tactical) I bought a S&W 520N 7-shot titanium cylinder in .38/.357. He put in his lightweight action that makes it a 5 lb. DA pull. I haven't shot it much, but I love my S&W PC revolver that Randy adapted with his light-trigger action.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YOU haven't shot it much. How about your Wife?

Did Mr Lee say a 5 lb DA was reliable on factory JHP ammo? Is it?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Looking for defensive hand gun ideas for 70 year old male with both wrist and shoulder problems. Any suggestions?

They've shot my:
  • S&W 617 and love it. Not much of a self-defense gun being .22 LR.
  • Kahr MK9 and the recoil bugs their wrist and shoulder. To be fair, I'd rather shoot 300 rounds out of my P229 ST in .40 S&W than 100 rounds out of my MK9.
  • P229 ST when I put my Barsto 9 mm conversion barrel in it and they didn't like it. The weight bugged their shoulder and really didn't like the size in their hand. It's really hard to get any sweeter than this gun as it has the GGI competition action and trigger job and Bruce Gray personally fit the Barsto barrel while I watched.

I don't own any calibers in between .22 LR and 9mm.

Since they loved my revolver, I was thinking a 3" SP 101 in .327 Federal would be good, but good luck finding a range with one of those as a rental.

• Any of the ranges have an lcr in .327 rental?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
    posted Hide Post
    Walther CCP

manual safety..gas operated so slide is easy to manipulate. easy to grip.

9mm has good defensive ballistics while still keeping the recoil manageable. and cheap to practice with!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    That rug really tied
    the room together.
    Picture of bubbatime
    posted Hide Post
    Home defense or conceal carry?

For home defense, a Ruger 10/22 with 25 round magazine, loaded with CCI mini mags. Most people are likely to miss with a handgun, but are much more likely to hit with a long gun. He can mag dump 5-10 rounds into a perp in a second or two. It WILL get the job done, and at $179, its economical too.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Syngin1066
    posted Hide Post
    How is their hand strength?
    If it’s a home / range toy, how about a Beretta 92? I always found them to be really easy to rack, recoil is light, good capacity, reliable.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Every day is New Year's Day
    for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
    posted Hide Post
    Honestly it's really hard to beat a Glock 19 in this situation. Least recoil in a light, compact package. I'm a SIG fan but at this point I'd have a hard time suggesting a P320 (even though I have 1) The Glock is just the best combination of light weight, easy shooting, lowest recoil that I can think of. I have an older friend that shot several of my guns trying to find what worked best for him. He had a hard time shooting just about everything small enough to be remotely concealable because of diminished hand strength and a mild case of the shakes.

If your friend doesn't like the striker fired trigger then my next suggest would be a SIG P250 9mm compact which has a double action only trigger and is about the same size as the Glock 19.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    This is a common problem as more old folks decide to CCW as they realize that todays' America is NOT the one they grew up in. I note the following (even though I am 75 I am still strong and do hard physical labor).
    1. Rimfire revolvers always have a very hard trigger pull to insure ignition.
    2. Most semi autos even in ,380 are hard to work, particularly if they are straight blowback.
    3. Some locked breach .380s and even some 9mms are easy to rack and have light recoil, or at least recoil that weak or arthritic hands can deal with.

My solution for my mom-that's right, my mom who is 96-has a revolver in .32 H&R magnum. I found she could handle the S&W 632 (all steel) with an action job quite well, and the recoil is not much more than a .22 LR. Buffalo Bore makes a .32 New Police load that shoots well in that gun very accurately and still has some punch with even less recoil. Lower weight wheel guns are available from Charter Arms and Ruger as well as S&W in different models. I have a S&W 331 which is extremely light but has some recoil with heavy Buffalo Bore loads, I have found that it makes a very nice pocket gun (in a pocket holster), I pack it as a BUG to a S&W 632 pro model with full house .327 loads(anyone who thinks that they do not have substantial recoil simply has not shot one).
    As far as reloads go, I have found that for older folks having 6 decent rounds that can be placed properly is much more important than extra ammo, which is going to be of questionable use for a weak handed senior in the first place.
    When someone remarks about only 12 rounds, I remind them that when I was a Chicago PD rookie I packed a pencil barrel in .38 special and was limited to 6 extra rounds in "dump" pouch. Of course the ammo was the old round nose lead which might stop a pissed off raccoon on a good day.
    SO, I feel that 6 well placed .32 magnum rounds with an 85 grain flat point slug will do as a defensive round for a senior citizen with weaker hand strength. I pretty much disregard the need to reload in those situations, concentrating instead on good placement of the first 6.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Delta-3
    posted Hide Post
    I'd like to suggest a Beretta Tomcat in 32. It has a tip up barrel so no need to ever rack the slide. Trigger pull is manageable to weaker fingers (it's DA/SA) & the .32 doesn't recoil much. It's a smaller round but there are some excellent modern loads for it that make it a viable defensive handgun & cartridge.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    I have a friend who is older and he realy likes his FNH 5.7. I know it’s been mentioned but I thought I’d throw that in. Two other thoughts: The HK VP9 and VP9sk has the “ears” in the back to help rack the slide. You can also adjust the grip in an almost limitless amount of configurations which would help with handgrip and comfort.
    If he has the hand strength (may not based upon your concerns), the HK P7 series is very light recoiling with the gas operation and the all steel construction. However, the cocker may be difficult. As mentioned, Walther has a gas pistol out now that may be an option.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Another vote for the S&W Shield .380 EZ. I got the one without the thumb safety. (It appears that there are some issues reported with the versions with the thumb safety.) It is easy to rack and easy to shoot.

I have run numerous rounds through chronograph testing and found that premium ammo runs pretty close to factory specifications, a little slower in 90 grain and a little faster in 95, 99 and 100 grains. The 90 grain Federal Low Recoil Hydra Shoks and Hornady Critical Defense are very mellow to shoot.

I would make sure the shooter has the hand strength to depress the grip safety. It does not take much strength and it will fire if you can depress it 1/3 of the way, but pressure has to be maintained for successive shots as well.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Serenity now!
    Picture of 4x5
    posted Hide Post
    I'll second the vote for a 2.25" Ruger SP-101 in 357, loaded with 38 specials. It's what I taught my girls to shoot on, because there really isn't a lot of recoil.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
    ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Serenity now!
    Picture of 4x5
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bubbatime:
    Home defense or conceal carry?

For home defense, a Ruger 10/22 with 25 round magazine, loaded with CCI mini mags. Most people are likely to miss with a handgun, but are much more likely to hit with a long gun. He can mag dump 5-10 rounds into a perp in a second or two. It WILL get the job done, and at $179, its economical too.

Interesting idea. I've never given much thought to a 10/22 for self defense, but you make a good point.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
    ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Another vote for the 380 EZ. Mine with TS arrived back at S&W this past Wednesday for fixing, but highly recommend. I'm 74 and undergoing chemo for leukemia so my strength has been depleted a bit. It is very easy to rack the slide and recoil is also minimal. I also plan to get the non TS safety version in the near future. Can't beat the price either.

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    One more +1 for FN 5.7. I just shot mine this morning and I'm 70, so I can relate. Soft recoil, tack driver accuracy. Has become one of my favorite guns, including for carry. Ammo prices are now about equivalent to .45. The hotter green tip ammo is also available on line. My wife loves the 5.7. The downside is the cost of the gun, but that's forgotten pretty quickly after owning one for a while.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
    quote:
    Originally posted by elde:
    Yep, I heartily agree with the .327 Federal suggestion. That same firearm worked for my mom & dad...they are in their late 70's and both are recoil-sensitive. We actually go to the range quarterly and they look forward to the trips.

+1 I have the 4.2 “ and believe the 3” would be even better, balancing a bit nicer, though I’ve not handled one.

++1 I have the 3" SP-101 as I liked the idea and found one when they first came out. These can also be ported if so desired.

If you were close by, you could give mine a try. Surely there has to be a forum member in Texas that has one handy?

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Camper:
    ... I'm 74 and undergoing chemo for leukemia so my strength has been depleted a bit. ...

Wishing you the best with your chemo, and glad you haven't lost your interest in guns !

Posts: 38 | Location: South-Central Pennsylvania | Registered: May 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post