SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Buying back my P 239
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying back my P 239 Login/Join 
posted
Sold this to my retired state trooper daughter last fall. Called her yesterday and she agreed to let me buy it back.

I posted this in late 2019.

quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
Almost sold my 239 40 cal (with an extra .357 Sig conversion barrel) but recently started to get more enthused about the 40 S&W cal.

So I decided, after 10 years of owning this gun, to finally get rid of the Hogue rubber grips and dress it up with some nice wood Hogue offerings.

When the grips were first delivered, I called Hogue and was going to send them back due to the rather strange stripping on them. They agreed but then a funny thing happened. I started to hold the grips up to the gun and thought I would at least try them on first. They then started to grow on me and I decided to keep them.

After reading that it was starting to become difficult to get magazines for this discontinued line of guns, I found that MGW had them new for $31.50. Ordered 2 and will now be good to go with a total of 5.

The sights are set up for the .357 barrel but they are very close with the 40 cal barrel back in. Sure glad I didn’t sell this since it is really old school Sig Sauer.

I remember when I bought it used from a local dealer (this was a former police off duty gun in 40 cal), I sat in the parking lot and called Sig. Ordered a .357 Sig barrel and 3 mags which have usually been in the gun since then. Both the 40 cal and .357 work just great in it.

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe

Posts: 417 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm agreeing with you on the grips, at first look they're odd, but probably alongside the two-tone pistol they actually grow on you a bit.

Unique, or is that eclectic. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I always think about retiring mine and carrying something more up-to-date but it hasn't happened yet and probably won't anytime soon.
But if I did, I think I'd have to replace my worn rubber Hogue grips too. I think you did good w/ the grips.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You'll enjoy your P239 for a long time.

Very nice appearance.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wood is supposed to have personality. I dig the grips.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As time goes by I increasingly appreciate... shall we say "older-school designs?" Things like metal frames, hammer-fired actions, and, yes, wood grips.

I think what probably got me started down this road was the SIG P239 SAS my wife gave me for Christmas, 2005. Close-up of one grip panel:

I'm not inclined to replace synthetic grips that work for me, but I truly love me a nice set of wood grips on a handgun Smile

Glad you got your P239 back, Trooper Joe. I love "old school" SIGs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations of the P239 returning home

I am very fond of the P239 pistol as well as Hogue wood grips. The P239 and 357 SIG cartridge work ridiculously well together

As to your grips, sometime Hogue cuts the wood in a manner that shows some unusual grain. I very much like the way those grips look on your true two tone.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
As time goes by I increasingly appreciate... shall we say "older-school designs?" Things like metal frames, hammer-fired actions, and, yes, wood grips.

I think what probably got me started down this road was the SIG P239 SAS my wife gave me for Christmas, 2005. Close-up of one grip panel:

I'm not inclined to replace synthetic grips that work for me, but I truly love me a nice set of wood grips on a handgun Smile

Glad you got your P239 back, Trooper Joe. I love "old school" SIGs.

I had a 1st Generation 229SAS, loved the look of the laminated wood grips. Unfortunately I found them to be too thick for my tastes on that 229SAS. The Hogue wood grips pictured here on the OP's 239 look like a better fit. at least for me.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting your 239 back. I love my 239 that I put Hogue wood grips on, and it is here to stay as long as I am here.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought , sold to LGS in exchange for 335-A1 , bought back from LGS, and recently sold to son in law. I liked the Hogue G10 checkered grips on it and its a great pistol. However I now have 3 225s, which are Great+.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paulbriand:
Bought , sold to LGS in exchange for 335-A1 , bought back from LGS, and recently sold to son in law. I liked the Hogue G10 checkered grips on it and its a great pistol. However I now have 3 225s, which are Great+.

You mentioned 3 225’s. Here is a photo of my refinished P6 that sports all 225 springs. This is one that is a keeper (made in 1979).

Trooper Joe

Posts: 417 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter dropped off my P239 today. Funny thing happened. My wife actually made out the check to her. Got to watch when the “other shoe drops”.

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Congrats Trooper Joe. Nice to have your baby back.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
239 is amazing. I have two. SAS and Scorpion. Both purchased in .40, I also have .357sig and 9mm barrels/mags for both.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent news! Thats a sweet looking piece. Something about a metal gun that just begs to be missed, purchased or repurchased. I find myself going more metal the older I get which considering their weight compared to my plastic fantastics is odd.

Do you have a nice leather holster to go with that 239?

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
Excellent news! Thats a sweet looking piece. Something about a metal gun that just begs to be missed, purchased or repurchased. I find myself going more metal the older I get which considering their weight compared to my plastic fantastics is odd.

Do you have a nice leather holster to go with that 239?

My sentiments exactly. I never met a plastic gun that had any character. The older I get, the fewer I buy.

The local police sergeant who was the original owner of this gun, gave me a nice holster.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
quote:
Originally posted by paulbriand:

You mentioned 3 225’s. Here is a photo of my refinished P6 that sports all 225 springs. This is one that is a keeper (made in 1979).

Trooper Joe

Not to go off the P239 topic , but I would love to get a set of those wood grips for my P225

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PAULBRIAND

I think they were from grips4u but they do not seem to offer them any more.

http://grips4u.net/category/pi...g-sauer/sig-p225-p6/

I would call them and send a photo. They have worked with me in the past.

Trooper Joe

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
p239s are good looking pistols* and they function well... how do I know? well I have a few... but won't tell how many...

*In fact I think the only pistol better looking is a P230/232

I think I need a P239 with wood grips as a BBQ gun.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post