SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How to lighten 226 SAO trigger?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to lighten 226 SAO trigger? Login/Join 
posted
I have an Elite 226 SAO and love everything but the trigger weight. Other than sending to a smith, which I’d like to avoid, does anyone have experience getting these triggers lighter?
Thanks

Posts: 11 | Registered: April 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can try changing out the mainspring. I run Wolff 17lb springs in mine.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! What sort of reduction did you see from this?

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Despite your reluctance to send it to a pistol smith, I recommend Robert Burke. I sent my P226 X5 Comp to him. Moderate price, fast turn around, excellent customer communication. Result:

Much shorter take-up.

Crisp break at 2-1/4 lbs. (down from 4-1/2 lbs.)

Much less over travel.

Very short, and crisp, reset.

These good results achieved with the original mainspring. Robert also offered to move the break point rearward, but I liked it where it was.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9008 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbellp2012:
Thanks! What sort of reduction did you see from this?

Since I don't have a trigger gage I can't give you a definite answer. However it was a noticeable, but not a huge reduction. It is cheap, easy and not permanent however.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is more to a good trigger than trigger weight. I would send it in to a good gunsmith. I prefer Gray Guns, but I do hear good things about Robert Burke.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Sending it to a smith may end up being the best course of action.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbellp2012:
Thanks for all the replies. Sending it to a smith may end up being the best course of action.

I think that maybe a wise choice!

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
get an adjustable trigger.

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Other than replacing a simple spring.... I'd leave it to someone highly recommended.... trigger work is not for the novice...

I once decided to break down and clean the trigger group on a Sig P230.... it took me well over 8 hours to finally get that trigger group back together.... not making this up,, first I had to find the actual schematic of the P230 trigger group.. (Not the same as a P232) and then I had to make a special tool to get the springs to set right.

Best to leave it to the trained experts....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Operations:
get an adjustable trigger.

Do they make an adjustable trigger for SAO models? The ones I've seen from Gray Guns and Armory Craft are for DA/SA only. While I don't feel the need to have an adjustable trigger on my Legion SAO, I was shopping around for a curved trigger for it. I don't like the flat one. During that search, I noticed there weren't many trigger options for the Legion SAO. I even called Sig who told me the flat trigger that was installed from the factory was the only option. My Legion SAO trigger is pretty good, IMO, but I would like a curved trigger like my other Sigs. I'm just more used to them.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vaguely recall some YouTube video re adjustable trigger for the SAO. I personally wasn’t interested.

But I thought that you were only seeking a lighter pull? Vs adjusting take-up, over-travel, etc?

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
I vaguely recall some YouTube video re adjustable trigger for the SAO. I personally wasn’t interested.

But I thought that you were only seeking a lighter pull? Vs adjusting take-up, over-travel, etc?

Sorry, I probably hijacked the original conversation. The OP appears to only be looking to lighten the pull. Someone had suggested that he "get an adjustable trigger." I replied to that post. I agree that an adjustable trigger wouldn't likely help with the pull weight. I don't think anyone makes one for the SAO anyway.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Armory Craft does sell a dual adjustable flat trigger specifically for SAO’s. Again, I personally wasn’t interested but had noticed a video and just now checked their site.

I also noticed a low-mass hammer for the SAO that AC markets with described benefits that the OP might want.

I can’t vouch for the above items. My 220 SAO Legion is unmodified and I have no plans to modify it. Good luck!

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post