SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    COLT 1903/ 1908, school me plz.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COLT 1903/ 1908, school me plz. Login/Join 
posted
So I just got done reading David Axelrod's book, PATTON.

I am now* hunting for a 1903 / 1908 colt...

Can someone school me on these pistols? I am looking on gun broker and its daunting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: leonidas211,

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I owned one for years. What do you want to know?

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Difference in models, .380 vs .32 for reliability, what should I be looking for when purchasing one.

Overall impressions, experiences from users, etc.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not hunting for a 1903 / 1908 colt...

Not or now?

There is some information describing and illustrating the five major variations at http://coltautos.com/ModelMci.htm

The .32 is likely more reliable but they were not fooling when they designed these guns and the .380s I have seen did just fine. But notice on the pictures of the Shanghai Municipal Police guns, a little spring to steady the barrel. Also see where the thumb safety is blocked, the SMP carried them in "Condition 3" and the safety catch was considered unnecessary and undesirable.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
quote:
I am not hunting for a 1903 / 1908 colt...

Not or now?

There is some information describing and illustrating the five major variations at http://coltautos.com/ModelMci.htm

The .32 is likely more reliable but they were not fooling when they designed these guns and the .380s I have seen did just fine. But notice on the pictures of the Shanghai Municipal Police guns, a little spring to steady the barrel. Also see where the thumb safety is blocked, the SMP carried them in "Condition 3" and the safety catch was considered unnecessary and undesirable.

Now, thank you.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
Difference in models, .380 vs .32 for reliability, what should I be looking for when purchasing one.

This, I couldn't tell you much about. I'm no authority. They made them for decades and the webpage Jim Watson linked you to would be a good start. The only thing I would say to keep an eye on for purchasing is the frame rails eventually crack. It's my understanding that it's more a question of "when, not if." May be fuddlore, may be true. I don't know. Mine didn't fail, but I only put a few boxes of ammo through it. Mine was made in 1936, and I don't know how many rounds went through it, but it had been carried a lot and looked to be shot very little. We had a member here who had a serious love affair with them for some time, bought one, put a few rounds through it and then it jammed up. When he got it apart, the frame rails had begun to split. I don't recall if there were any warning signs of it happening prior, but I suspect not.

quote:

It's a neat piece of history, and if you wanted an iconic old Colt, this one ranks. Some famous and interesting characters carried them, including General Patton, as you know. Why he carried one is anyone's guess. Probably because he could. They are small, slim, and the trigger pull is short and light. It's 65% or so of a 1911, and it feels like it. The sights are garbage, but mine was surprisingly accurate. I ran regular ball ammo through it and it never had a hiccup. .32 vs .380 for reliability? It's a vintage collector's pistol - you could carry one, but there's only a zillion better options these days. I did carry mine in a coat pocket a few times, but it's heavy and not ideal for it. You'd be better off with a Glock 42 if you were serious about a little .380 for carry.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

This, I couldn't tell you much about. I'm no authority. They made them for decades and the webpage Jim Watson linked you to would be a good start. The only thing I would say to keep an eye on for purchasing is the frame rails eventually crack. It's my understanding that it's more a question of "when, not if." May be fuddlore, may be true. I don't know. Mine didn't fail, but I only put a few boxes of ammo through it. Mine was made in 1936, and I don't know how many rounds went through it, but it had been carried a lot and looked to be shot very little. We had a member here who had a serious love affair with them for some time, bought one, put a few rounds through it and then it jammed up. When he got it apart, the frame rails had begun to split. I don't recall if there were any warning signs of it happening prior, but I suspect not.

quote:

It's a neat piece of history, and if you wanted an iconic old Colt, this one ranks. Some famous and interesting characters carried them, including General Patton, as you know. Why he carried one is anyone's guess. Probably because he could. They are small, slim, and the trigger pull is short and light. It's 65% or so of a 1911, and it feels like it. The sights are garbage, but mine was surprisingly accurate. I ran regular ball ammo through it and it never had a hiccup. .32 vs .380 for reliability? It's a vintage collector's pistol - you could carry one, but there's only a zillion better options these days. I did carry mine in a coat pocket a few times, but it's heavy and not ideal for it. You'd be better off with a Glock 42 if you were serious about a little .380 for carry.

I appreciate the responses.

I have a few others for actual serious carry work... most of what comes after this is for fun, I think the majority of us are in that category.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Good! In terms of caliber, I'd get whatever you'd prefer to shoot for budgetary or other reasons. I've never heard much in the way of reliability about these guns, especially not in a caliber-dependent way. It may be the case that they're less finnicky than 1911's, but .45ACP God'sgun/man-sizedbulletsapplepie'Murica and all that.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Some famous and interesting characters carried them, including General Patton, as you know. Why he carried one is anyone's guess.

I thought I read at one time that the .32 Colt 1903 was one of the standard sidearms authorized for General officers to carry and some actually did into the 1970's. My guess is the thinner profile and lighter weight than the M1911 had something to do with that.

This is what Wikipedia says about it:

quote:

General officer models
General officer models were often engraved with the officer's name. Recipients include generals Eisenhower, Bradley, Marshall, and Patton. Patton's Model 1908 was embellished with three (later four) stars on the grip panels to denote his rank. They were issued with a fine-grade leather holster, leather pistol belt with gold-metal clasp, rope pistol lanyard with gold-metal fittings, and leather two-pocket ammunition pouch with gold-metal fasteners. They came in russet or black leather (depending on service and regulations) and were made by Atchison Leather Products or Hickok. A cleaning rod and two spare magazines were also included.[2] Generals were issued the Model M in .380 ACP, until 1950, when supplies ran out. At that point, they were substituted with .32 models until their replacement in 1972. The Pocket Hammerless was replaced by the M15 pistol made by Rock Island Arsenal in .45 ACP. Today, the Pocket Hammerless is manufactured by U.S. Armament, and is licensed by Colt.[3]

Link

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I thought I read at one time that the .32 Colt M1903 was one of the standard sidearms authorized for General officers to carry and some actually did into the 1970's. My guess is the thinner profile and lighter weight than the M1911 had something to do with that.

I beat you to your edit. It was, and IIRC, continued to be issued as such for some branches all the way up through Vietnam. I believe it was common for Airforce pilots (being officers) to carry one during that conflict. I just always found it a bit odd that Patton would carry one, given his personality, but he may have enjoyed being able to change it up:

posted Hide Post
At one point several years ago, Standard Manufacturing paired with Colt to reproduce the 1903/1908. I dont think they are in production any longer. US Armaments has new 1903s in production now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I had a 1908 once, sadly it was stolen, I really liked it. I saw an old magazine ad that described it as “Small, flat as a book, and safe”.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a new 1903or 1908 US Armament makes them, 1903 operates perfectly including upper end ammo. Very thin for deep cover
if that is of interest.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While a supplemental military arm principally for issue to general officers ( who then had the option to purchase the pistol as well ) they were also issued at times from research I have read to other officers who required a defensive arm but when 1911’s were prioritized to combat units. I have read several instances of them being issued to medical officers, and some were also utilized by the OSS.
As mentioned they were an option for issue/ sale to general officers in both the 32&380 calibers well into the 1970’s perhaps even the 80’s.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post