SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Have you become “Gucci” with you pistol equipment.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you become “Gucci” with you pistol equipment. Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Nope. I use 'em 'til they won't work, ten replace 'em

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I used to joke with everyone that I looked like Jed Clampett when I showed up to a class. Worn pistol, worn holster with hardware missing, mismatched magazines (some stainless, some black, some 15 rounders, some 17 rounders) and worn BDU pants with an untucked T shirt. My safety glasses were always showing brass dings on the lens. It’s just sort of how I rolled.

You outta touch with times. Worn out look is what Gucci gear is in 2022. Battlefield Wear is in an extra $$ option in gun refinishing.

Seriously, no. I just want functional clothes and best guns for my preferences and tasks. My gaming guns been the same, sans broken stuff replacements, for 5 years now. My carry guns don't change much either. My training classes and match pants, REI and Arcteryx, are probably 10 years old and are pretty torn; I an probably due for some replacements.
The only newer stuff that I've bought recently, and relatively pricy, is colder weather, hot weather, and wet weather training / match clothes. They are getting better, lighter, better temp regulation for respective season, more breathable etc.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The military pounded it into me that looking professional indicates proficiency, experience and competency. So I try to keep my gear looking good and I buy the best I can afford. I find that good gear lasts longer and keeps its appearance longer.
Nothing really fancy, just good stuff. And honest service wear is fine with me. I only have one Gucci confession to make: I buy custom slide covers with my name or initials on them for my 320s or Glocks. But that can be considered practical since my guns cant get mixed up with anyone else's at the range.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I buy decent guns, sights, belts, holsters and magazines. I need to replace my worn-out DeSantis mag carriers, but aside from that, I try to carry decent stuff and keep it in good working order. Not Gucci, probably more Eddie Bauer level if we're drawing comparisons.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Anti-Gucci for me. I do buy quality gear but if any of it gets scuffed or dinged up a bit over time I don't fret over such things these days. Nor do I care if some other person thinks they see something of mine to pick apart or make some sort of fuss over.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
As some others have said, now that I'm older and have more or less all the guns I want (lol, right!), I focus more on my support gear and ammo. I also don't care what people say when I'm at the range or a class.

I won't go out and buy the new hotness I see on the interwebz, but I'll spend a fair amount of money on getting the right gear that will hold up and do what I want it to do. If people think that's Gucci because I've got Crye pants or something, fine. But I can tell you that when I show up in Crye pants to a class and I'm the only guy with kneepads and we're spending 8 hours kneeling on gravel, I know who will go home happier at the end of the day.

That said, the Gucci stuff I buy gets used, so my Crye pants have stains and my fancy belts have chips on the buckles, my LMT rifle has scratches on it and I'll chuck my STI on the ground, pin it under my foot to get the mag out during a one-handed malfunction drill without a second thought.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I count. I use TT gun leather for all my rigs, but if they get scuffed I just count it as character.

The one place I spend major bucks is safety equipment. I only run Oakley, ESS, Smith, MSA Sordin, Peltor, etc. I refuse to cheap out on something as important as eye- and ear pro.

Because my last assignment was soft clothes, I tend to still wear them at the range.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
...soft clothes...
Well, I don't know about anybody else, but to me, "hard clothes" sounds damn uncomfortable.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like HRK mentioned early on, there's a lot to be said for looking and feeling Marvelous. I feel more Marvelous if I shoot my Staccato (vs my G34) with my Double Alpha belt and custom Longshadow holster. It's simply Marvelous..

(Safariland is so, yesterday man,...)

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a thought.

Where and when I grew up, SIG Sauer Pistols were considered the guns of the elite, most folks carried wheel guns or Colt 1911s S&W 3rd Gens. SIGs and H&K semi-auto, Customized 1911s where the 'Gucci" guns of their time, but we didn't use the phrase "Gucci".

The nice thick heavy duty leather production holsters of yesterday could even be considered "Gucci" compared to their modern equivalents. The new stuff seems to be built to be light weight, cheap to make and replaceable.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you become “Gucci” with you pistol equipment.

Nope.

Posts: 418 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Gucci equipment" is a fuzzy term meaning many things to different people.

The proliferation of companies developing all kinds of parts, to cash in on the massive increases in gun ownership by producing niche parts for everything and the many new gun models being produced have lead to many gun owners viewing guns as a must have for defense etc.etc and a "collector hobby". I've owned lots of guns inn the past and now have fewer in the safe than ever but the ones I have have been customized far greater now than before.

I don't know if I'd agree with the statement "Gucci guns/equipment" But I'm far more fussy about how my guns look, feel and operate now than I ever did

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is EXACTLY me now.

Not sure why? Want my stuff to work, pride of ownership, getting older & more disposable income (empty nest), better quality...

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
The only 'Gucci' thing I have done to my pistol is put a UID sticker on it (for shits and giggles).

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Not so much pistol equipment, I started late and was able to afford decent stuff. Hanging around here enlightened my choices a bunch. Im solidly equipped, among my friends I might rate Gucci, not here.

My hunting gear however has gotten a major upgrade over the past few years. From Cabelas to Kuiu, Filson and Zamberlan. From Tikka to Weatherby and Winchester Super Grades. The Tikka still goes on the toughest condition hunts it’s lights out and lite at the same time. Glass is the next step if I have the disposable cash.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Not exactly "Gucci", but when I got my father's SP-101 2.25" .357 back from Gemini Customs I bought a Wright Leather Works Predator pancake holster for it. Gemini did spectacular work and WLW holsters are gorgeous. You can't put a work of art like a Gemini Custom in an old worn holster, right?

For normal stuff I, too, subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. If you buy quality gear and take care of it, it lasts a very long time. Of course, I'm not an "operator", so I'm not very hard on my gear anyway. I EDC my CZ P-01 in a WLW Predator also; along with a WLW double mag pouch, both in their "coffee" color. They're hell-for-stout and very rugged. Maybe a little "Gucci" I guess... Cool

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on my third day off. Unshaven. Cammie jacket with the sleeves torn off. T-shirt. Blue jeans.
But, under that. A Wilson Master Grade in a Milt Sparks Roadrunner.

I went to visit a friend of mine that worked at Highland Park PD. THE exclusive city in DFW. The police station is gorgeous.

I walk up to the receptionist.

Somewhat haughty “May I help you..Sir?”

“Hi! I’m here to meet Officer John.”

“(Slightly wary) May I get your name?”

“(Pull out badge) yeah. Sergeant 127 from xxPD...”

“Oh! Yes Sir. Let me get him for you!...Do you work Narcotics?”

“No Bubbles, this is just the way I dress..could you get John now?”

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I used to joke with everyone that I looked like Jed Clampett when I showed up to a class. Worn pistol, worn holster with hardware missing, mismatched magazines (some stainless, some black, some 15 rounders, some 17 rounders) and worn BDU pants with an untucked T shirt. My safety glasses were always showing brass dings on the lens. It’s just sort of how I rolled.

I want to make clear that skill is still the most IMPORTANT thing. It was then, and it still is today.

But, today I find things to be different. My stuff is less worn, better quality. My tastes have changed to where buying the more “Gucci” support equipment is important to me, instead of making do with old stuff. By Gucci I mean brands like Crye, Taran Tactical, LBT, Double Alpha, etc. all of my Safariland ALS holsters have the Nubmod extenders. That type of stuff.

As I said, I still train hard and put in the work in dry fire, going to classes, and putting in practice. But, I really feel that better gear has enhanced my shooting ability without trying to look like a gear groupie.

Anyone else found themselves in the same spot?

Yes. Although I was fortunate that I was set on a good path early on in my shooting.

You can't buy skill or performance but inadequate or non-ideal gear can indeed hamper you.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
No I have not become all Gucci, always have been Wink

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
I was on my third day off. Unshaven. Cammie jacket with the sleeves torn off. T-shirt. Blue jeans.
But, under that. A Wilson Master Grade in a Milt Sparks Roadrunner.

A sidebar here: kudos to you on that Roadrunner! My favorite OWB holster for a 1911.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post