SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How to measure the “poundage” of a spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to measure the “poundage” of a spring Login/Join 
posted
I have a 4506-1 that I want to convert to 45 Super. My understanding is that I will need to use a 20 pound spring. But as I bought this pistol used, I don’t know what spring is in it. The fund shoots 45 standard velocity without a problem. How can I measure the “poundage” of the spring now in the pistol?

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
According to Wolf Gunsprings, the factory recoil spring rating for a 4506 is 14#. Check out this page: https://www.gunsprings.com/SMI...ID1/mID58/dID261#876
(You will have to scroll down a bit for the 4506.)

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My concern is that, since I bought the pistol used, the previous owner may have put in a heavier spring. So I may not have the factory spring in the pistol. It does take more effort to pull the slide back than on any other gun I own.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A new spring from Brownells is pretty inexpensive, then you know where you are.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any way without specialized equipment. You need to have a scale, know at what length the spring is compressed to for measurement, and hold the long skinny spring without kinking or having it fly away altogether.

Posts: 28008 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Since the spring in there works fine with standard ammunition

And you want a 20# spring for the 45SUPER

Just but a 20# spring and don't worry what the other one is

BTW, I am a HUGE 45SUPER fan myself

I have been hand loading and shooting the 45SUPER since it's introduction in the late 1980s

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5181 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are going to place an order anyway, since they are cheap, I would get a replacement factory weight spring along with the #20 and toss what is in there now since you don't know the weight or how old and worn it may be.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you want to measure it you will have to build or buy a fixture. The costs and time of that are so much more than just buying a spring it would be nuts to do so.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
What you’re referring to is known as spring rate. It’s defined as the mass required (in this case, measured in pounds) to compress the spring one inch.

You’d have to build an adjustable device to hold the various diameters and lengths of recoil springs, have access to a bunch of different precise weights to set on top of the springs, and a way to accurately measure exactly one inch of compression.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several spring rate testers for big racing stuff like coil suspension springs. If you do a quick search on spring rate testers you will see a bunch of ideas for design. But these small springs I would just make a simple base with a rod that the spring can go over (like the equivalent of a recoil rod) mount the spring, make a weight with a known relevant poundage to the rate that you want and a hole in the centerto also go over the rod and then measure the deflection with a dial caliper.
It wouldn't be very hard to do. But when the springs are a few dollars each it seems counterintuitive to go to that effort given the springs are readily available.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
What you’re referring to is known as spring rate. It’s defined as the mass required (in this case, measured in pounds) to compress the spring one inch.

It's actually the force required to compress, not mass. Pounds are a measure of force, not mass. In the English system, mass is measured in slugs, but since almost all measures of mass assumed constant gravity, pounds of force exerted by a given mass at earth's gravity are used to express a proxy for mass.

In metric it is more sensible where grams are a standard measure of mass and newtons are the measure of force, and masses are expressed in the mass, but still generally measured by the force they exert at constant gravity (weighing).

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2448 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
You guys mean you don't just put the spring on the bathroom scale to measure 14 pounds, or 20 pounds? I have been doing it all wrong.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5075 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rack slide & ease it forward until it is slightly out of battery. Release slide & it should kick into battery. If not change spring.

Posts: 76 | Location: United States | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DNS:
Rack slide & ease it forward until it is slightly out of battery. Release slide & it should kick into battery. If not change spring.

This isn't remotely the answer to the question asked.

I have seen fixtures for testing recoil springs as described above. They look like a modified trigger gauge. They likely aren't expensive, but a new spring is likely much cheaper. If you are concerned with longevity, buy several and pick a replacement interval.

Here are instructions to make a cheap gauge:

https://forums.brianenos.com/t...ecoil-spring-tester/

Posts: 5168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post