SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 320 Gen 2 magazine floorplate source
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 320 Gen 2 magazine floorplate source Login/Join 
posted
I have about 2 dozen(various cap) First gen sig 320 mags. They Won't work in the new X-frames without a new floorplate that the new Gen2 mags come with. Been looking around and found a few options. CDNN sells the red/FDE ones for $4 for a pack of 3(Which I don't want). Ebay has loads but only from people getting rid of their gen 1 lower plates or very expensive $30 ones for a single plate. Sig sells a single plate for $10( They are making thousands of them for the mil contract so making a few more isn't that expensive, it's actually really really cheap.)
And the aftermarket sources are really expensive so It's not worth it.

So if anyone knows a affordable source for these I'd appreciate it. Would like to upgrade my frame, Surely anyone else would too. Thanks

sig nut', haulin' 3 sig 228's

Posts: 264 | Location: over lookin' beach and border | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They work just fine, actually.

Clip the dog ears off, and they work. Alternately, bevel the existing dog ears. There's no need to spend money on new baseplates.

Grayguns makes a hard dutybaseplate that's very nice, and less expensive than other alternatives. Taran Tactical bases work fine.

I just clipped the bases off all my 9mm. .40, and .320 mags for the p320, and called it a day. I run the Taran Tactical +5's on some, and there's always the 21 round factory magazine. The TTI _5's will work just fine with .40 and .357, as well.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like these:
https://ghostinc.com/moab-sig-...he-sig-320-p250-4pk/

You'll still have to cut or thin the ears, but it has a nice swell on the bottom, giving a good solid seating. Work great with the X frames.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1972:
I like these:
https://ghostinc.com/moab-sig-...he-sig-320-p250-4pk/

You'll still have to cut or thin the ears, but it has a nice swell on the bottom, giving a good solid seating. Work great with the X frames.

Trying to do little mod work as possible. That's why looking for cheaper OEM replacments. Saw a few pics of people cutting down the "ears/wings" and was concerned about the trimming of material so close to the metal ledge of the mag body that'll weaken the floorplate due to tension of the spring.

such as "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh411BCGicI"

Posts: 264 | Location: over lookin' beach and border | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Removing the dog ears has zero effect on the strength of the floor plate. The dog ears are space fillers. Structurally, with removal, they do not weaken the baseplate. My mags get dropped in gravel and on cement regularly. They're dinged and nicked and beaten up. They don't fail. If they do fail, its not going to be because the dog ears were removed.

The dog ears can be thinned on a bench grinder or belt sander and beveled, or do what I did; simply snip them off with end nippers. It takes a few seconds. They can be sanded or filed flush. I haven't bothered. Once clipped off. I slip the baseplate in place and run the magazine.

The issue of square tabs vs. circle tabs is irrelevant once the dog ears are gone.

posted Hide Post
a person on another forum I think reddit said it's easier to mod the frame, by relieving a bit of material from the edge of the magwell. Don't have an x-frame as of yet. So I can't compare.

posted Hide Post
I'd disagree. The x-frame features a more ergonomic grip with a nicely beveled mag well; cutting it out to accommodate the dog ears would ruin the utility of that mag well, and would have to be fit to the dog ears.

Do as you wish, but it's dirt-simple to remove the dog ears. If you were planning to change the baseplate anyway, what have you got to lose?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushmonkey9:
a person on another forum I think reddit said it's easier to mod the frame, by relieving a bit of material from the edge of the magwell. Don't have an x-frame as of yet. So I can't compare.

As in any discipline, never mod the more expensive part.
Personally, to solve this problem, I used the Gray Guns basepads.
If you are using the OEM magwell funnel, the GGI basepads yield a perfect 1/4" projection below the funnel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True enough, but the grip module is $48. So your spending $9 per floor plate per mag so. That's why I'm complaining. Sig could have easily incorporated the change in the mold of the new frames. Every one of us who has the old mags have this issue. Get a frame or two. Guess I'm digging out the dremel tool out. Flip a coin...

posted Hide Post
quote:
True enough, but the grip module is $48. So your spending $9 per floor plate per mag so. That's why I'm complaining. Sig could have easily incorporated the change in the mold of the new frames. Every one of us who has the old mags have this issue. Get a frame or two. Guess I'm digging out the dremel tool out. Flip a coin...

SIG is dysfunctional when it comes to magazine basepad design.
I think that the most elegant way to fix it is to use the GGI basepads.
They fix the dysfunction.

If you are not using the magwell funnel, then maybe the "ear clip" is the way to go.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I use a coarse grinding wheel to knock the ears down, then finish by rubbing the pads on a piece of 220 wet/dry paper on a counter. Swipe a little gun oil over the surface when you're done & it looks really clean.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're running the mag well, then running the 21 round magazine makes sense. With the mag well, I run either the factory 21 round mag, or the 17 round mag with a TTI +5 baseplate; both work just fine with the well.

I just ordered another five TTI +5's, and extra power, extra length mag springs, too.

They will turn the .40 full length mag into a 19 round magazine. Given that the 18 round .40 mags are tough to find, it's a good choice, and the added weight of the base makes getting rid of the mag easy during a change. Also easy to manipulate, as there's plenty to grab.

If it's imperative to run the 17 round mags, then the GGI baseplates, or the. Sig legion mags will work fine.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:

That actually wasn't an option when we designed the X-Module for SIG. But fortunately you may choose from a number of solid, easy solutions. And if you want square tenon baseplates, we also stock them. Good luck!

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

Will the new brass bases fit the funnel?

posted Hide Post
I got the tan ones from CDNN. Makes it easy to spot what I need. I have all 3 styles of frame, so.....

Also a bunch of 21 rounders. Not good for carry, but great for the range.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Bruce,

Will the new brass bases fit the funnel?

I have the GGI aluminum and they are excellent with the funnel.
The brass basepads look to be the same profile.

Couple of other notes :
The Legion basepads fit flush with the funnel (not a fan).
I like the 1/4" projection that the GGI provides.

I have about a dozen Gen2 basic polymer basepads, ACT marked, unmolested, if anyone wants them.
Square hole.

posted Hide Post
Wilson has square-peg floorplates in stock right now. Nine bucks each.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/S...k/productinfo/NW736/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Wilson has square-peg floorplates in stock right now. Nine bucks each.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/S...k/productinfo/NW736/

Nah.
That's the typical offering.
Many don't want that basepad.

Therefore...
You do this :
https://grayguns.com/product/p...se-plate-square-peg/
And while you're at it, you do this :
https://grayguns.com/product/h...-magazine-base-pads/

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "typical offering," but that's the correct, factory part. Most places have been out of stock, and they're hard to get. The original poster was looking for them. A source has been cited.

Other information has already been given, with other choices, including the least expensive and easiest solution: clip the dog ears off the old style pads and the problem is solved.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "typical offering," but that's the correct, factory part. Most places have been out of stock, and they're hard to get. The original poster was looking for them. A source has been cited.

Other information has already been given, with other choices, including the least expensive and easiest solution: clip the dog ears off the old style pads and the problem is solved.

1) It is difficult to find just the square peg retainer plate.
That is why I posted the Gray Guns offering.

2) The end.

Wink