SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why are Sig/handgun grips so expensive?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Why are Sig/handgun grips so expensive? Login/Join 
posted
Wanted to upgrade my grips on a couple of my handguns. Need to take a double dose of blood pressure medicine after seeing what they are getting for plastic grips nowadays. I won't mention company names, but $119 for plastic grips that probably cost them $2-$5 to punch out?
I understand making a profit, but the prices are ridiculous.

posted Hide Post
I think the Hogue G10s you are referring to are significantly more complex to make than injection molded plastic.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I think the Hogue G10s you are referring to are significantly more complex to make than injection molded plastic.

Yup, those are NOT plastic grips.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Btw, you can always go on fleabay, or stake out the Classifieds, for used ones that are cheaper.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You're paying mostly for the material, not the fabrication. They are not just hunks of molded plastic.

The material is the same stuff used in electronic circuit boards. G10 variations are meant to be used in harsh environments while producing NO dimensional changes. Nearly indestructible.

Before casting aspersions, I recommend you educate yourself on the topic first. No offense intended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR-4
http://www.g10material.net/
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=g10+...=ffsb&atb=v21&ia=web

With luck, you may have Ken Hogue post something on this. He is a contributor to the SigForum.
http://www.hogueinc.com/store/...es/handgun-grips/866

Greg Cote is one of the better vendors for Hogue G10 and other grips. Good pricing ($101.96), selection and availability:
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/ho...0374a24277247a1f0dff

Functionally, the Hogue G10's are the best grips I've ever used. Well worth the price. I've been shooting for 50 years, so I've seen a lot of grips. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
tooling/mold costs also have to be recouped.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I consider that the money I paid for G10 black-gray G-Mascus grips for my X5 Comp was money well-spent. They're machined from a block of G10 laminate. Beautiful and functional.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8837 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
G10 isn't as cheap as the plastics used in injection molding, but the main cost is in milling grips out of the stuff. G10 or Micarta grips should cost more than wood. It is far harder to machine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup. They tell us that it cost the same to mill out a piece from G10 as it would aluminum. I don't think the material is the issue. CNC equipment ain't cheap (even in high quantities) so I'm sure they'd be happy to have their prices more competitive with the marketplace's desires if it was economically feasible.

Think of it as similar to why VHS tapes cost more to make than DVDs. The DVD can be stamped out by the millions. Each cassette had to be built and recorded onto. The end result was the same, but the manufacturing process couldn't be any different. And for those who ask. The video drum on a VCR is way more complex than any DVD player ever made.

Now if I could only find some extra grips for my extra P220...

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
We don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Plastic is plastic and if there is someone sell plastic for $119. they are making bank. Tooling cost for injection molded parts are expensive but for the number of parts one gets out of the tool, well cared for, makes them the grip of choice BUT if you want quality, fit, form, function, it is hard to be G10. It is not cheap to buy. it not cheap to ship and not easy to cut. But boy, it makes a pretty nice grip once completed and will last an awfully long time.
You get a quality grip, in the G10, to fit a quality built Sig pistol. Quality comes at a price........
Keep your eyes out on the inter-web, on occasions you will find them at an unbelievable prices.

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1596 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to see what you call expensive. I bought some for my S&W revolver that are nice but not as functional as the G10 and cost much more. I think the G10 is at a good price point.

Posts: 102 | Location: N.E. Wyoming | Registered: May 14, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Ken.

Hogue G10's fall into that age-old category: You get what you pay for.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Report This Post
Picture of caliSigGuy
posted Hide Post
I have well over $1k in Hogue g10's on my various Sigs.

They are fantastic grips. They are really the only thing or there that absolutely won't become slippery.

----------
I am known by unusedusername on calguns

Posts: 236 | Location: Between SJC and SFO | Registered: January 24, 2012Report This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Try to find some early S&W "Coke" style target stocks. Even 1970's Targets.

One hundred and nineteen bucks will NOT seem quite as bad.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Report This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Since G10 grips hit the market, I think I've saved a ton of money. Each set I've purchased has been the perfect solution in terms of durability, comfort and function in warm/cold weather, and they look great.

Expensive is the LARGE box of grips I've tried over the decades and discarded for various reasons.......

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highlander81:Expensive is the LARGE box of grips I've tried over the decades and discarded for various reasons.......

Isn't that the truth? Same with crappy holsters.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Black G10 checkered grips are my favorite and really hard to beat. Much superior for me in comparison to factory grips on a few of my sigs. My 226 with them fits my hand better than any other gun since I put them on. Pricey and worth it. As others have said, a little patience and a little searching on the internet will land you some at a nice price.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by highlander81:Expensive is the LARGE box of grips I've tried over the decades and discarded for various reasons.......

Isn't that the truth? Same with crappy holsters.

^^^ NAILED IT!!!

For the OP:
IMO, the best part of the Hogue G10 checkered I use is the back strap texture. I also use skateboard tape on the front strap. The fore/aft is more important than the side texture. That's where most of the pressure is applied. This combo secures the grip under recoil - no squirm or movement.