SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thirty Years with the Glock
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thirty Years with the Glock Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I have probably 65-70 GLOCK’s

You win. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much like the rest here I started out early on Glocks, my first being a gen 2 23.
I think what enamored the design to me at first was the early gun rag articles about how it would not rust, run damn near dry, and liked eating hot ammo.
Eventually I did test their theories and damned if this ugly duckling didn’t do exactly as advertised!

Since then (sometime early 90s) I’ve come to own just about every model and generation of Glock with the exception of the long slides and practical/tactical models, have fond memories of my old gen 2 20 that won me money in a local bowling pin shoot besting one particular braggart and his custom 1911. Or the hen 3 17 I abused the hell out of with left over surplus 9mm from the golden days of surplus imports.

Yes I’ve had and will continue to keep a 1911 around as it’s a very shootable piece as well as my S&W third gens and one particularly old Ruger P89 that shoots better than it should and the SIG P series. But the Glock is the tool in the tool box that gets called upon when it’s time to get dirty.
I’m down to one right now, an old gen 2.5 27 .40 that does it all but there will be more eventually….again.

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Time flies. 30 years ago, I was 13 and thought Glocks were gangbanger pistols.

Broke down and got a Gen 3 G19 around 2007. I badmouthed them and 9mm from late 90s to early 2000s. Then I shot P228s so I carried that in 9mm. The gen 3 finger groves helped the feel out enough for me to jump on one, as well as needing money and selling my 228 as a package for about a grand and spending half that for a new Glock. Didn't mind the 33 sticks either.

To me the handgun question is closed, the answer Glock.

I like other handguns but they are mostly for fun or something of special utility.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I was in one of the first academies issued a G17 (a Gen 2) in 1991. (When our revolver carrying peers from other agencies were on their third reload I was dropping my first mag...and don't even talk about how much easier they were to clean than the stainless Model 66's...)

Over 31 years I carried a bunch of different pistols, but I always had a Glock in the stable... After I went though an a couple of years where I did a stupid (and painfully expensive) evolution of differing duty guns, I ended up back with a Glock. In all those years, I've seen even Glocks fumble a round here and there, but at a far less rate than any other make.

I retired with my Gen 5 G19 MOS - which I still carry / teach with at the Academy. I carry a smaller Glock much of the time now that I'm retired. They are still one of the best pistols out there, even though they don't cost 2000+

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Interesting video that came out yesterday.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Glock maybe 25 years ago. I’ve had several over the years. I have two at the moment.

Posts: 1326 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While attending college in the early 90’s, I came across an issue of Popular Mechanics magazine in the library that had an article about the Glock 17. I may still have that article, or I might have taken the entire issue and have it stashed somewhere. I don’t remember the details of what was in the article, but its light weight, 17-round capacity, the abuse it reportedly could take, and having about half the number of parts of other handguns was enough to make me want a Glock 17 in the worst way.

It was roughly 31-years ago for me when I had enough money saved up to buy one. Coincidentally it was also on June 26, but in 1992 when I ordered and paid for a brand-new Glock 17. This would not only be my first Glock, but my very first firearm as well.

Today, this Glock doesn’t see the same amount of use as it once did, but it still goes to the range for my son to enjoy and to whom it will be passed down to.

Posts: 94 | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
My first Glock was a Gen 2 19 in 1994. I followed it up with a 21 and then a 26. Then I went through the usual .40 phase and had a 22 and a 23. I currently have a Gen 5 19, and the same 21, and most recently a 43X and a 20. I want to replace the 26 that I sold like a fool many years ago.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a G22 in 1992, while I was in the Navy. Sadly, I needed money and sold it about a year later. Several years later I got a Gen 3 G22, and shortly thereafter I corrected my mistake and got a G19.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My first two Glocks that I purchased were a Glock 17 and a Glock 19, back in the summer of 1988. I had left the Army and was testing with various LE agencies. I thought that I would go with the 17 for a duty weapon and the 19 for off-duty. But after a month, I sold both of them and picked up a Beretta 92FC (13 round version) for my duty gun. Off-duty needs were going to be met by a S&W 669 and Walther PPK/s. I wanted all of them to operate the same. After a year, I was issued a SIG P226 and SIG Da/Sa pistols were my go to for the next 15 years.

In 2005, I sold off my last three SIGs and purchased two Glock 19s. I've been pretty much a Glock 19 guy ever since (have owned Gen 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s - 32 in all). Have owned some other Glocks too, but primarily Glock 19s.

Current two are Wilson Combat Vickers Gen 5 19s. I think these will probably see me through until I get tossed into the ol' furnace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:

Current two are Wilson Combat Vickers Gen 5 19s. I think these will probably see me through until I get tossed into the ol' furnace.

Gen 5 19 is pretty much perfect IMO. I have been meaning to get a Wilson version and decide between stock gen 5, Wilson/Vickers gen 5 or shadow systems MR920 and hopefully be satisfied for awhile at least.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's that saying?
"Build a better moustrap..."

Well, the world beat a path to Gaston's door at $400+ a piece.

At one point, Glock was the #1 selling weapon for Law Enforcement. That's a lot of guns!
(With the exception of Chicago Police- I'd like to thank that retard Fred Rice for that one)

From a mechanical / engineering standpoint, what a simple design. Like shockingly simple, and effective. The damn things just work.

Their marketing is pretty much the same: Simple, yer effective. But the gun just works, to the point that Glock doesn't really need to rely on huge marketing programs to sell their product.

Not bad from a guy that designed shower rods for a living and no firearms experience. Wink

The 3rd Gen G-21 that I've been toting around for the past 16 years or so has served me well, and never failed me. I went from a P-220 in .45 to the G-21 because 13+1 makes more sense than 8+1 out on the street. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I put through it, and it still goes "BANG" when I need it to, and puts that chunk of lead where I want it. I think I've spent around $300 or so on replacing springs, stainless guide rod and new sights.

IF, and that's a big "IF" I replace this G-21, it's going to be for the G-34 MOS.
Off Duty, it's the G-19 or the G43X with Shield Mags.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hated these pistols from the start. I purchased my first Sig back in 1989, a P228 9mm. I never held or shot a Glock until 2004. Still, I prefer Sig pistols however, the Glock is a great pistol, built upon an even better platform. I currently own (4) Glock pistols and I'll never part with them. I do have a G-19 as part of my everyday carry weapon.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Past Glocks include a gen 2 19 (traded away many years ago), 19C (traded with a member here for a Sig 245), a 27 I traded for a gen 2 17 (sold), a gen 3 21(traded- shot the 30 far better)

My current stable includes a gen 3 19 (with a spare .40 upper that functions fine with the 9mm ejector), gen 3 30, and gen 3 26 which somehow remains my go-to edc more often than not. My next Glock will be purchased from a local deputy that is buying his current gen 4 17 as the department switches to new ones. Like most of us, that will be my last one… until my next one Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Boss. Don't own one. But then again, I don't own any ARs either so you can't go by me. Big Grin

Posts: 646 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Writer by profession,
smartass by the
grace of God.

posted Hide Post
I started my Glock journey in 1993, with a Gen 2 19.

Wish I still had it.

Now I'm down to two, a G30S, (which I find reassuring); it conceals well with the 9 round magazine, and a Gen 5 23, which I bought in a fit of nostalgia, since I used a Gen 2 223 in my academy so many years ago.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posts: 618 | Location: Beaverton, OR | Registered: April 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My Glock journey started in 2011, when my employer went from Ruger GP-100s to the Glock 23. I took a SIG Pistol Instructor course after that. I could have used any of my fine SIGs, but decided to go with the G23....

Trigger was horrible compared to the Sigs. However, I persevered and finished the course. It's been 12 years and the Glock has grown on me. Once you get used to the trigger and the reset, it's actually a nice pistol. If you own one or more, you owe it to yourself to take the Glock Armorer's course. It will allow you another dimension to enjoy the Glock!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm a Glock newbie with only around 20 years with them. G19 gen 3 was my gateway Glock and I've got more than 6 but fewer than 12 currently.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Glock--A second-Gen G-19--In 1994, as I figured if "Slick Willy" Clinton and his Communist Brethren in the Democratic Party didn't want me to have one, I probably NEEDED one--Or more...

Actually purchased TWO G-19's at close to retail from a small-town Ma and Pa shop--One for me, one for my then-Fiance, now Wife. As Wife-mate didn't like hers, it was traded on a Magnum Research-imported CZ-75, which she still has.
After two or three years of not doing anything with it, "My" G-19 went down the road, probably for a Third-Gen Smith of some description...

Fast-forward a couple more years, and I traded into a Gen One G-17 that a co-worker had and found it to shoot surprisingly well for an UGLY "Plastic Gun"--It was about then that we got involved in GSSF Matches and we went at it pretty heavily for 7 or 8 years. During the height of our GSSF participation, we had around two dozen Glocks, mostly Gen 2's & Gen 3's with an odd Gen 4 or two sprinkled in for good measure.

I haven't shot a GSSF Match since 2016, but I still have several around here somewhere: Gen 2 Olympic Security G-17, Wife's GSSF gun, a Gen 3 G-17, coupla'-three G-19's, a G-34 that used to belong to Dave Sevigny, a beat-to-hell Second-Gen G-21 with Grip Reduction & Stipple Job and a nice Third-Gen G37--My GSSF "Heavy Metal Gun" at one time...Reckon I'll have 2 or 3 around from now on...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mikey357,

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First was a Gen 1 G19 purchased in the mid/late 80s after introduction. Several years earlier had attended a 40 hour class in which one other guy and myself were the only 2 shooting autoloaders. The one I shot will remain nameless, but barely made it thru a course of fire without puking. The other guy had a Glock 17 that wouldn't quit. I got my G19 as soon as soon as it was introduced as the new DEA gun...

...but I carried a SIG P series or 1911 for the bulk of my career. Now I have a retirement gig at a small department that issues Glocks and I'm happy...

...but I'm still asking for a policy variance to carry my P226, I just have way more trigger time on it.

Having said that, I think I'm at 5 Glocks.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post