SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thirty Years with the Glock
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thirty Years with the Glock Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue with the glock track record. I do wonder what the future holds for them what can I do with a g19 that I can't with a P365?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
what can I do with a g19 that I can't with a P365?
Put a 33 round factory magazine in it. Detail strip it with a rusty nail and change any and all parts except the sights, channel liner and magazine catch spring without any tools. Run a quarter of a million rounds through it without major parts breakage. Fire anything with a 9mm headstamp, including that dangerously overpressure Hirtenberger +P+ subgun ammo that came into the country a couple of decades back. Rig it to function underwater.

Stuff like that. The P365 makes a great pocket pistol, but let's not lose our heads and forget what we're talking about here.

Also- although it is strictly illegal, you can turn a G19 into a full-auto machine pistol with the changing of one small part. Can your 365 do that (and could you even control a 365 in full auto)? Depending upon the way the world goes in the next couple of decades, that might turn out to be an advantageous characteristic.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
what can I do with a g19 that I can't with a P365?
Put a 33 round factory magazine in it. Detail strip it with a rusty nail and change any and all parts except the sights, channel liner and magazine catch spring without any tools. Run a quarter of a million rounds through it without major parts breakage. Fire anything with a 9mm headstamp, including that dangerously overpressure Hirtenberger +P+ subgun ammo that came into the country a couple of decades back. Rig it to function underwater.

Stuff like that. The P365 makes a great pocket pistol, but let's not lose our heads and forget what we're talking about here.

Also- although it is strictly illegal, you can turn a G19 into a full-auto machine pistol with the changing of one small part. Can your 365 do that (and could you even control a 365 in full auto)? Depending upon the way the world goes in the next couple of decades, that might turn out to be an advantageous characteristic.

All fair points, but short of the convertibility to full auto and the 33 round mag, I'm with you on those although if I'm making a machine gun why not a rifle, are those situations you'd expect to encounter? With the new Macro version you've got 17 rounds and a 3.7 inch barrel plenty easy to shoot. I'm excited to see what glock does, I'd really like to get my hands on a G46 if only or the novelty.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not quite that many years for me, but my first was a 17L I bought for the sheer awesomeness of the thing, back in maybe 2005? I had been an all metal gun guy prior, but found a good deal, and it was “less common”, so I talked myself into it.

Of course, it was not exactly practical, so it got sold or traded, but within a couple weeks I found myself grabbing this 23 used, and I’ve had it since.

I really need to get a 9mm conversion, or a whole top end, since I’m not really doing much with 40 anymore.

Although since the 48 came out, it would be a tough sell to get me to ditch the 48 with 15 round shield mags for a 19…

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My go to carry auto is the P365. In winter months I might carry any manner of large frame pistol, I don't mind a Glock for that. Where Glock fits for me now, is I have a G17 with a +2 ready to go in a Fas1 safe on each floor of the house except the basement where I have a Mossberg.

Waaay back when I first became a member of this forum, I got all the proof I needed that Glock pistols were all but indestructible. Some of you may remember I worked nights and weekends at a gun shop that had a rental range. A large variety was for rent, and we only cleaned them when they stopped working. It really gave me perspective on reliability and what is important in a handgun.

Folks will come here just like another Glock thread to say why they can't won't or don't. And of course that's their business. Why people can't just walk past a parade without saying anything remains a puzzle to me.

For my years swinging a hammer, one brand stands out. Estwing. When I need a hammer I know will never fail, Glock is my Estwing. When you need something with the reliability of a masonry outhouse and the style to boot, you need a Glock.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Glop in roughly the same time period, with it being my first Gen2 G19 and first handgun overall for that matter. It was up against a used but quite the prettier of the two Hi-Power and the Glock won out and I haven't looked back. However it took about 20 years before a Hi-Power finally got a chance to actually follow me home. I admit that the Browning (or was it FN? I don't remember anymore) was the looker but the G19 was so much lighter, and I honestly didn't have all that much of a bias against a polymer-framed pistol, or 9mm ammo. I guess all those years as a kid with my Nylon 66 must've poisoned me in that way but in full disclosure, at the time I really didn't have all that much experience with handguns in general. So for me there was not a lot of preset preferences and preconceptions to overcome, only the prettier aesthetics of a classic Browning.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm with you on those although if I'm making a machine gun why not a rifle, are those situations you'd expect to encounter?
You asked. I told you. If you want to discuss the P365, start a thread.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've tried numerous times & just can't shoot the 19 well.
Gen 3 & 4 pistols, IIRC. Just doesn't fit me right, I guess. My wife is an excellent shot with a Gen4 19, but it's too big for her to carry.

The PSA Dagger, though, I shot much more easily, not sure how much difference there is between the 2 to make a natural POA easier with the PSA over the Glock.

My dad bought his P239 in 1996 & IIRC it was the first centerfire semi-auto I ever shot. Just been a natural fit with Sigs since.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This thread really isn't about the G19, though I can understand why most would think it is. It's not about the G19 compared to the P365. This thread is about thirty years with one platform.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There are bad products with great marketing.
There are great products with horrible marketing.
It's rare for a product to be both great and have great marketing and that is the Glock pistol.

My first was a Gen 3 Glock 30 "fat". Never should have sold that gun.

I seem to vacillate between Glock and HK but always find my way back to hammer fired guns because like another poster I just like riding that hammer into the holster.

That said I have several Glocks and to this day I don't think you can find a pistol with the mix of attributes a Glock pistol has. Reliable, Durable, Inexpensive, Simple as all get out, ROBUST aftermarket, awesome magazine that are cheap and most importantly a long and storied track record.

While newer guns like the P320/365 for example, are awesome they don't yet have one thing that Glocks have in spades. Track record. Glocks have been used effectively everywhere from suburban everytown to the worst shitholes the world has on offer and everywhere in between for DECADES and I, personally, appreciate that kind of track record.

Is Glock "Perfection", hell no. Are Glocks still one of the best firearms on the market today absolutely and one is either not educated on the subject or intellectually dishonest if they don't think Glocks are damn good pistols whether one personally likes them or not.

What I find funny is the day before you posted this I had taken a Walther P99 out to the range and it hit me that that gun had been serving bedside duty for 20 or 21 years at this point for us and to think I was one of those.....will polymer pistols last people.

Take care, shoot safe and enjoy your Glocks in good health.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
One other thing that I think is a Glock benefit is one of the most often heard complaints. "They don't innovate etc."

Innovation is great but in a defensive firearm I think there is something to be said for a product that does just what it needs to and has been proving it can do it for basically 40 years.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
27 years for me.

They handed me a new Glock 21 and a holster when I was hired. I tried the G30(?), but it didn't fit right in my hand.

Now I have a G45 when I leave the office with a red dot and a 43X with a dot for sitting behind the desk

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3810 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for my first Glock. Surely they will come out with a metal frame like the other manufacturers.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Glock is an example of mechanical elegance that has been often imitated, but never repeated.

I had to whittle my arms to the minimum for a very long time.

For more than a third of my life a 1911 was a luxury, but the Glocks were a necessity.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
About.....23 years for me. Bought my first G23 in the early 00's. Still have it.

Posts: 1731 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No idea how to date Glock serial numbers. Any help?

ML4xx US
3 digits

Seems like an early Gen2.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
No idea how to date Glock serial numbers. Any help?

ML4xx US
3 digits

Seems like an early Gen2.

Last (or maybe first) resort, I believe you can still email Glock and they will tell you. I did close to two decades ago but should have printed out the response.

After web searching sent me to certain gun forums w/ a chart, my AUBxxx Glock never matched anything they had.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Last (or maybe first) resort, I believe you can still email Glock and they will tell you. I did close to two decades ago but should have printed out the response.

Go straight to the source.
I picked up what appeared to be a Gen2 Glock in May. I emailed <GlockCustomerService@glock.us> w/ its serial number on a weekday afternoon. A few hours later they replied confirming it's a late production Gen2 and was manufactured in Nov 1997. Cool

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
As much as I love the P226, I know that the G19 is really everything I need and nothing I don't. I just we wish I would have brought one when they had the "frying pan" finish. If I was in a more CCW friendly state, the G19 would definitely be my go to pistol.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My dad was old school. Revolvers were king. The Ruger gp100 hadnt been out long and he bought one. Probably around 1989. We shot the crap out of that gun. I graduated high school in 1990 and somewhere around that he went with me to get my own GP1000. 6 inch stainless. Beautiful gun. I’ll never part with it. Dad was a Ruger man. So when the P85 came out I convinced him I needed one of those “unreliable automatics”. Another great gun I’ll never sell.

I started college in the fall of 1990 and the campus police carried GLOCK’s. What idiots I thought. Then I started hearing how amazing they were and read hundreds of magazine articles about them. The a friend showed up at one of our shoots in the woods with a Gen 1 or2 G19. Idiot!

Then I shot it. Holy crap. I was like a professional compared to my big clunky P85 when it came to accuracy. I couldn’t miss. I had to have one. It was a G27. I couldn’t believe how small and accurate it was. Many thousands of rounds and never a single jam. I was sold.

Now I have probably 65-70 GLOCK’s. I quit counting. Took the armorers course. So simple in design. My go to. My current faves are 43x and gen 5 g19. Also love the 17 and 45. G20 is a hoot too.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post