SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The best use for the MOS cut on Glocks (in my opinion, of course)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best use for the MOS cut on Glocks (in my opinion, of course) Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
First of all, I am floored. Glock is now making these MOS cover plates out of plastic? According to this, Glock first made these plates in metal, and then quickly switched to plastic. Despite the substantial percentage of polymer in the construction of Glocks, this somehow seems wrong to me. Oh, I see- "everyone" takes off this cover and mounts an RDS. No, that's not true.

At any rate, I don't own any Glocks with this cut, but if I did, this might make sense, especially for the slimelines:

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Nice. I wish someone would come out with something similar for the Legacy P229 with its inane half-height cocking serrations.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea for those who don't want to replace their rear slide plate with wing,etc., in order to get a better purchase on the gun. It's still slim enough and shouldn't get caught on clothing or holsters. Lenny and his people have some great ideas and I have bought many things from them, G.S., over the years.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They switched to polymer MOS cover plates maybe two years ago. They are indeed pretty cheap and flimsy. S&W does this as well and I'm sure there are others.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
That's a good idea for those who don't want to replace their rear slide plate with wing,etc.
The rear slide plate? THAT sounds like a very bad idea. I would never, and I mean never, put such stress on that area of the pistol, which, if it fails, the pistol ceases to function. It's a three-sided groove cut into the rear of the side, and it's not substantial enough to endure it being yanked on repeatedly.

No way

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
This is actually a pretty great idea!

Also they keep telling us at armorer school to never replace the rear slide cover plate with anything. Especially those metal replacements with engravings. It's supposed to be plastic for the extractor depresser plunger to mate up with.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8022 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, sorry, I misread your post. Yes, it hadn't occurred to me that a metal rear slide cover would wear on the polymer plunger.

posted Hide Post
I replace all my rear slide covers with aluminum ones engraved with my initials. First I have heard about increased wear on the plunger and I have shot my Glocks quite a bit. At what round count does this occur?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Probably tens of thousands. I actually have my badge number engraved on a polymer one and then filled it in with a darker color so it's slightly visible but doesn't distract from anything.

I have had issues with aluminum ones needing fitting in the past so I stopped and then found someplace local with a laser engraver to engrave my polymer ones.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8022 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I just bought a couple of the plungers from our man Lenny just to have a few in stock.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I’ve always replaced the polymer slide plates with a steel striker control device and never had any wear issues not have I heard of anyone else using one through high round count testing having any issues.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"steel striker control device"? What is that?

posted Hide Post
If it's what I think it is, it's a rear 'slide plate' mechanism that actually can prevent a Glock's striker from moving back (i.e., cocking the striker) when its face is pushed on during the holstering of the firearm. Basically to prevent a ND if the trigger is snagged when holstering. Made by Langdon Tactical.

https://langdontactical.com/gl...-control-device-scd/

-MG

Posts: 1994 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Langdon’s Striker Control Device (purchased,I believe, from Tau Development Group) was developed by shooters on a forum dedicated to pistol shooting and training to mitigate the dangers of re-holstering a striker-fired pistol with no external safety or hammers. The designers had realized that, with the acceptance of appendix IWB carrying, having a hammer to push with your thumb or engaging a manual safety added a layer of protection against NDs. As the Glock style pistol is one of the most prevalent defensive use pistols extant, the fact that it’s a partially cocked design with only a trigger safety left it vulnerable to firing unintentionally (drawstrings or shirts getting sandwiched between the trigger guard and holster, etc) when re-holstering.

The SCD is a Glock (and now CZ P10 as well) backplate replacement piece with a hinged tab that usually allows the piece to move aft and the pistols function is transparent to the shooter. Indexing the thumb on the device and putting pressure on it while re-holstering adds enough mechanical resistance that the striker cannot physically overcome the pressure, regardless of how hard the trigger is pulled, preventing the striker from tensioning and removing the danger of inadvertently firing due to an uncommanded trigger pull.

Posts: 166 | Registered: March 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, OK Roll Eyes

I'm currently developing my Dynamic Extractor Retaining Plate which mounts over the extractor of Glocks. This essential accessory prevents Rapid Extreme Egress Extractor Events.

The DERP is a bargain at 160.00 (installation not included, most holsters will require modification, the DERP may cause malfunctions)

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOTS:
Langdon’s Striker Control Device (purchased,I believe, from Tau Development Group) was developed by shooters on a forum dedicated to pistol shooting and training to mitigate the dangers of re-holstering a striker-fired pistol with no external safety or hammers. The designers had realized that, with the acceptance of appendix IWB carrying, having a hammer to push with your thumb or engaging a manual safety added a layer of protection against NDs. As the Glock style pistol is one of the most prevalent defensive use pistols extant, the fact that it’s a partially cocked design with only a trigger safety left it vulnerable to firing unintentionally (drawstrings or shirts getting sandwiched between the trigger guard and holster, etc) when re-holstering.

The SCD is a Glock (and now CZ P10 as well) backplate replacement piece with a hinged tab that usually allows the piece to move aft and the pistols function is transparent to the shooter. Indexing the thumb on the device and putting pressure on it while re-holstering adds enough mechanical resistance that the striker cannot physically overcome the pressure, regardless of how hard the trigger is pulled, preventing the striker from tensioning and removing the danger of inadvertently firing due to an uncommanded trigger pull.

Yup this. Bruce Gray speaks highly of it also. It’s a U.S. made machined steel part that simple and passive and doesn’t affect reliability. Mimics the hammer on a DA/SA pistol so you can “thumb the hammer” while reholstering.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/2870062424/p/1

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't care if Jesus himself approves. It's ridiculous.

If you like that gadget, buy my DERP!

Get 10% off with coupon code NEEDLESSLYCOMPLICATED2024

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:

Bruce Gray speaks highly of it also. It’s a U.S. made machined steel part that simple and passive and doesn’t affect reliability. Mimics the hammer on a DA/SA pistol so you can “thumb the hammer” while reholstering.
It was in one of the training classes that was presented by Mr. Gray's company, that a SIGforum member was injured by a Glock that fired a round while being re-holstered.

During the exercise, each participant is observed carefully by at least one, sometimes two, instructors. The incident I'm referring to, it was very clear that the trainee's finger was in proper position for reholstering, nowhere near the trigger. From all appearances, the gun should not have fired, but the drawstring of a light windbreaker jacket was caught in the holster and snagged the trigger. The gun (Glock) fired, the bullet went through the trainee's leg, fortunately not doing any damage to bone nor major blood vessels.

The device in question would very likely have prevented the accident.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
It’s not complicated at all. In fact, the backplate is stronger than the OEM slide backplate.

It’s been extensively tested in the field with many high volume shooters and I’ve yet to hear of one failing.

And even if did fail the pistol would still fire like normal and only the ability to “thumb the hammer” would be lost.

It’s a useful, simple, product with absolutely no downside.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:

It’s a useful, simple, product with absolutely no downside.
Amen. I do not own a Glock (yet). The potential for "Glock leg" is one of the reasons. If / when I do buy a Glock, this device will be the first, and possibly the only, modification that I will make.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post