SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your preferred Action in a firearm for carry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your preferred Action in a firearm for carry? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
Looking to see what are you guys are actually choosing in a carry handgun.

Question:
What is your preferred action for a carry weapon?

Choices:
Single Action Auto (i.e. 1911, Hi Power...etc)
Traditional Double Action (DA/SA)
Double Action Only Hammer semi auto
Striker Action
Revolver

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Given the choice, I like DA/SA. The long DA pull provides a greater margin for error when working in and out of a holster, but a good DA trigger can still be very smooth and easy to shoot. It also negates any need for a manual safety. Follow-up shots are also easier with a trigger pull that tends to be better than most striker-fired guns, and a short reset eliminates any chance of short-stroking. IMO it's a compromise, but one that works.

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I don’t know that it matters as much as it once did.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37119 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I prefer DA/SA overall but I am perfectly fine with most strikers as well. I don’t care for single actions or DAO/LEM/LDA etc. setups.

I love revolvers and while I certainly wouldn’t feel unarmed with one they are not my preference for defensive duty.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The only one on the list I don’t like is DAO semi, mostly because I do not have much trigger time. I guess I’m in the camp that thinks it doesn’t matter as much as it once did.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I don’t know that it matters as much as it once did.

I agree. Between training both in person and online, and drop-in parts kits for pistols that don't already come with good triggers, it's a different situation than it was even ten years ago.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own both a SIG 229 DA/SA and a Walther PPK, and I really like them both, except for the DA/SA trigger. I wish they were 1911-style SA. Of course, I also have a Glock trigger on two of my guns and am no fan of them, distrusting the "safety" trigger.

My favorite gun of all was a Colt 1911 Mk4/Series 70 in .45ACP that I shot competition with many years ago until it was stolen.

Jeff Cooper called DA/SA "an overly-complicated solution to a non-existent problem" and I still agree with him, just have to compromise occasionally to get the benefits of the newer designs.

Speaking of newer designs, it just occurred to me that my Great-Uncle carried a 1911 in WWI, and my Father and a couple Uncles carried 1911A1's in WWII. It's amazing that the 1911-style pistol is still manufactured by several major and minor companies, to this day! If it weren't for the benefits of greater magazine capacity, lighter weight, and slimmer design (NOT the 229!) the 1911 would still be my carry choice.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9174 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aside from a dalliance or two with some hammered solution that ultimately failed, it's been striker for the past 33+ years. Unless some epiphany happens to contradict this thinking, I'm more than good with sticking with strikers well into the future (at least my future, that is).

-MG

Posts: 2008 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I voted single-action / 1911, but also carry DA revolvers. I’m not Glock-averse, I just don’t carry one as often these days.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
1911 became my favorite after years of Sig DA/SA. Glock has a place but trigger doesn't compare favorably.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DA/SA for overall safe administrative handling combined with being quick into action if needed. SA 1911 is second most common carry.
I am hopelessly fossilized.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DA/SA is my preferred action. I am working my P229s into my carry routine. After that, I would have to say the safe action glock.

Posts: 468 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
For my first three years, it was a Single Action (Browning Hi Power)
Then during the next 16 years it was DA/SA (primarily SIGs)
Since 2005 - striker fired (primarily a Glock 19).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only buy and shoot striker guns now due to pain /maybe arthritis in my hands/fingers, making it hard to shoot da/sa guns, which is a shame as I used to have a nice collection of them.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I’m a total mixed bag. Let me explain.

At the immediate moment, I primarily carry a G48, and have been a regular Glock user for a decade. Despite that, I’ve been a solid Beretta fan since “day one” (my first pistol was a Beretta 96) and have started carrying them more often with plans to make them what I carry most often. In addition, I’ve always admired the Classic P-Series despite not currently having any (a fact I need to change!). I also recently got a P250 that I put into a WC grip module that I’m really liking. It, too, will be added to my carry rotation. So I cover striker, DA/SA, and DAO. I do have a custom 1911, but have no plans to carry it.

Of those listed though, I most favor the DA/SA action system, hence my transition to it. Thus, that’s the option I voted for.

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: September 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
While I prefer the DA/SA, I've been carrying a P250 (DAO) for over 5 years.

Thinking about switching to a SP2340 in .357 SIG.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rather carry a DA/SA but my P365 is a better size and weight so I am carrying a striker fired instead.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I rather carry a DA/SA but my P365 is a better size and weight so I am carrying a striker fired instead.

This^^^

I'd like to carry a DA/SA, but until a magician designs something as competitively small, lightweight, and at least 10+1 capacity in 9mm, then I'm going w/ striker.

The S&W CSX came close, but it's SAO.

Posts: 3188 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
SAO in both .45 and 9mm Legions
I speak Sig.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I voted single action only because I mainly shoot 1911s or HKs. Either one SAO. I carry the HKs cocked and locked.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post