SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 vs. 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 vs. 34 Login/Join 
posted
Is there any ballistic advantage of the Glock 34 compared to the Glock 17?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Certainly. The barrel of the G34 is .83" longer than the G17. It's not a large difference, but firing the same ammunition from the same lot, the G34 will clock faster.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant to ask if there was any significant advantage.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
About the difference between standard pressure and +P loadings. It's not a big difference but it's a difference. Whether that's significant is up to you. The projectile is striking the target perhaps 40 or 50 fps faster in the G34 barrel.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Longer sight radius, too. That allows the shooter to potentially be more precise, especially at longer ranges. (Depending on the skill of the shooter, sights, and other variables.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I meant to ask if there was any significant advantage.

That's really hard to quantify. Depends on the ammunition and barrel. You're probably looking at 20 or 30 fps difference.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The G34 is a long-slide G17 with a lightened slide; a lightened, tuned trigger and extended controls. IOW: A competition/race gun. It wasn't designed to serve the same purpose as a G17.

I have one. It's a hoot to shoot Smile I wouldn't dream of carrying it, though, if that's what you're thinking.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK,thanks all.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think the sight radius is far more relevant then the velocity that increase.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
On a related note, is there any appreciable ballistic advantage from the extra 3/8"-1/2" in length of a threaded barrel over a standard one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: iron chef,

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An inch of barrel is worth between 15-50fps/inch depending on the specific ammo and exact barrel length. Head on over to ballistics by the inch and you can see various loads and barrel lengths. Partial inches are probably proportional for all practical purposes. So no there is no appreciable ballistic advantage.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't dream of carrying it, though, if that's what you're thinking

I've carried one for quite awhile, no issue. When I was trying to figure out the red dot carry thing an MOS g34 was my test rig since I was already using it in competition. The extended controls and the - connector are added by many to other glocks and are not in any way problematic for carry. In size its not the least bit different than a 1911 or full size USP and lots of people carry those.
Myself I have converted to using RMR equipped guns and there is no advantage to long slides so my 34's sit unused mostly. But if you are using iron sights its hard to find a better model. The 17L is too long.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the sight radius matters much. Velocity will be a tad higher, but I don't think the sight radius difference in between the G17 and G34 is significant.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In my own testing, an extra half inch of barrel length (P226 4.4 to 4.9") did not increase 9mm velocities very much. The standard pressure Speer 124 grain Gold Dot load gained an average of 20 feet per second and the +P version of the same load gained 13 fps.

“Significant” is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but although higher velocity = higher projectile energy = greater possible wounding effects, such small increases hardly meet the definition of the word for me. In fact, 20 or 13 fps difference is much smaller than the extreme velocity spreads both loads exhibited even with small sample sizes. (The largest sample in my limited testing was 19 shots with the standard load and 4.4" barrel; the ES was 102 fps.) In other words, when fired from either load, a fast bullet from the shorter barrel could easily exceed the speed of a slow bullet from the longer barrel.

The 34’s barrel is about 0.8 inch longer than the 17’s and therefore its average velocity would be greater than a 0.5 inch difference, but not much. And again, the extreme spreads of velocities of individual shots of many loads would probably swamp the average velocity differences between the two barrel lengths.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's really going to depend on the ammo. My 9mm reloads using a relatively slow burning pistol powder (HS6) gain significant advantage from longer barrels. I saw 200fps+ gains out roof an 8" AR as compared to a 4" handgun barrel. However, I also found that high-end factory defensive ammo like Federal HST does not.

I believe this is because that ammo is designed for maximum efficiency out of shorter barrels, and to minimize muzzle flash caused by unburned powder igniting outside the muzzle. The HST was faster out of the shorter barrel than my reloads, but saw only a negligible increase in velocity as the barrel length increased.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
I wouldn't dream of carrying it, though, if that's what you're thinking

I've carried one for quite awhile, no issue. When I was trying to figure out the red dot carry thing an MOS g34 was my test rig since I was already using it in competition. The extended controls and the - connector are added by many to other glocks and are not in any way problematic for carry. In size its not the least bit different than a 1911 or full size USP and lots of people carry those.
Myself I have converted to using RMR equipped guns and there is no advantage to long slides so my 34's sit unused mostly. But if you are using iron sights its hard to find a better model. The 17L is too long.

I agree with this. I carried a G35 as a duty pistol for about 9 years. But, in the 9mm pistols, I'm not sure that there is enough practical difference between the two.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
And a G34 with an X300 just plain looks MEAN

Cool

I call that an advantage in my pea brain.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the 34 balances a bit better. Especially the Gen 5 model since they omitted that stupid cutout on the top of the slide. I agree it's a bit big to carry but nice for competition and home.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post