SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question on the P226 18-round flush fit magazine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on the P226 18-round flush fit magazine Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
I gave my W. German P226 to my nephew when California first passed the law making all the previously grandfathered standard capacity magazines illegal; he was an LEO at the time now retired.

I have a replacement P226 inbound, namely a Legion SAO with the Romeo optics so I'm considering magazines.

Am I giving up something to get the extra three rounds in the same space as 15 rounds like reliability or problems with the last round? Did they just change to a shorter follower to make room for the extra three rounds?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
the Mec-Gar 18 round mags are at least as reliable as the factory 15-rounders and IME are more reliable. Not sure exactly how they did it but they work great and are my first choice.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the 18 and 20 round Mec-gar in competition for over ten years. No issues what so ever. These are great mags and can be found for less money than the 15 round factory.

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You don't give up anything, and that includes reliability, but gain 3 rounds.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 18 rounders with zero issues.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It's already been settled, so I'll just add that Greg Cote, LLC has them IN STOCK @ $25.95... Cool

Buy them here --> https://gregcotellc.com/cart/s...p22618afc-p-614.html

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you had nothing but MecGar 18-rounders, the only time you would ever second guess yourself is when you wonder whether you wouldn't like some MecGar 20-rounders.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I'm sold.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If Mec-Gar makes a mag for a gun I own then I pretty much only buy Mec-Gar mags for that gun. The exception is 1911s, though I own a bunch of those too and like them.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
I had the Factory Sig 9mm 20 rounders and picked up an Mec-Gar 18 rounder. I prefer the 18 rounder as they are flush fit and less expensive!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
I have that EXACT gun, and it only knows MecGar 18 and 20 round mags. Never had a single issue ... ever. BTW, isn't that SAO Legion P226 an incredible pistol?

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A buddy Carrie’s them on duty for his 226 and they always performed perfectly at the range. Solid mags.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I gave my W. German P226 to my nephew when California first passed the law making all the previously grandfathered standard capacity magazines illegal; he was an LEO at the time now retired.

I have a replacement P226 inbound, namely a Legion SAO with the Romeo optics so I'm considering magazines.

Am I giving up something to get the extra three rounds in the same space as 15 rounds like reliability or problems with the last round? Did they just change to a shorter follower to make room for the extra three rounds?

The flush fit 18 round mags are reliable.

They make room for additional rounds primarily by using a “nested” spring. I.e. as the spring compresses it nests within itself, saving space, vs stacking on itself as with conventional springs.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Benderx4:
I have that EXACT gun, and it only knows MecGar 18 and 20 round mags. Never had a single issue ... ever. BTW, isn't that SAO Legion P226 an incredible pistol?

Don't know yet. But I think it's going to hit my FFL today.

I have the P365Xl as my first striker fired gun. I'm not too keen on the trigger and apparently there's not much to fix except to smooth it out through use.

I have 1911s and I like the trigger so when I saw the P226 in SAO, I liked that idea over DA/SA.