Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazines Login/Join 
posted
So I have a bunch of new 15 round p320 magazines. I have a number of full/carry size p320 guns.

Question what would be the cheapest way to change these 15 round mags so I could use them in my full sized guns. What would you use

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm understanding this correctly. Confused I don't see how you could. The 15-round for compacts is shorter than the 17-round for full size/carry.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’d… sell them and buy mags that fit the gun? You can’t cut it longer.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I hope I'm understanding this correctly. Confused I don't see how you could. The 15-round for compacts is shorter than the 17-round for full size/carry.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I used to have p320 compacts. I used to shoot them a lot but I changed over to carry and full size p320's. I now have a bunch of 15 round p320 mags, that I would like to use in my full size grips. My guess is for me to get some kind of extenders. I've looked and the extenders are damn near the price of factory mags.

I ask the question because I don't want to waste these 15 round mags but I don't want to spend almost the price of new mags on extenders. I can purchase 21 round factory sig mags for about $40. Is there a cheaper way other than spending $32/35 on extenders?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Even if you found an extension to replace the floor plates, the flanges on the bottom of the magazine tube, plus the wider extensions themselves would prevent inserting them far enough into the magazine well to lock into place. (I just tried a compact magazine tube in a full size module.)

I even tried a compact magazine in a Wilson Compact grip module. They have a funnel flare at the bottom of the magwell and that allows the tube by itself to be inserted far enough to lock into place. But once the floor plate is attached to the tube, it won’t go in far enough to lock. I assume that any mag extension would cause the same problem.

If you were satisfied with a kludge job, you could shorten the grip at the bottom of the full size grip module.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
These extensions/sleeves are to fit longer mags into shorter grips, filling in the gap, not the other way around.

Unless there is some sort of new product out that I'm not aware of.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I’d… sell them and buy mags that fit the gun? You can’t cut it longer.

Ya you can't cut them to make them longer lol but I thought I could add a extender but they cost about as much as a 21 round mag.

I asked this to see if there was something I didn't know about that was cheaper.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Even if you decided to try a magazine extension, I wouldn't buy a trunk full until you confirmed that they would solve your problem. As I explained once above, I strongly doubt it.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If you were satisfied with a kludge job, you could shorten the grip at the bottom of the full size grip module.

If your goal is to use the mags you have instead of buying longer correctly fitting ones, the obvious, and least expensive, route would be to shorten your Carry and FS grip modules

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even if you found an extension to replace the floor plates, the flanges on the bottom of the magazine tube, plus the wider extensions themselves would prevent inserting them far enough into the magazine well to lock into place. (I just tried a compact magazine tube in a full size module.)

I even tried a compact magazine in a Wilson Compact grip module. They have a funnel flare at the bottom of the magwell and that allows the tube by itself to be inserted far enough to lock into place. But once the floor plate is attached to the tube, it won’t go in far enough to lock. I assume that any mag extension would cause the same problem.

Thanks, I guess it's doesn't make much sense trying to utilize these 15 round mags.

I got used to the 21 round mags using mt X5 and I like the bigger mags in more than one way.

After switching to the X5 and Xcarry an AXG
the 21 round mags are much better for me
for shooting and looks.

I just hate having lots of gun parts ( mags) all over the place not serving any purpose any more. I still have a bunch of 1911, 22lr. 9mm mags etc.etc. from guns I no longer have. Almost everything is new and unused. I guess I'll just stick all of them in a box and hide them away ( out of sightout of mind)

My time is taken up on customizing and re customizing my Sigs, Walters and Ruger 22lr.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Even if you decided to try a magazine extension, I wouldn't buy a trunk full until you confirmed that they would solve your problem. As I explained once above, I strongly doubt it.

I sure wouldn't bu a bunch until I knew. I just asked the question to get some info Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

If your goal is to use the mags you have instead of buying longer correctly fitting ones, the obvious, and least expensive, route would be to shorten your Carry and FS grip modules

Na that won't happen most everything I have is custom, I won't go through changing things for a few mags. My goal was to try to utilize 8 new 15 rounders instead of buying more 21 rounders but that looks like it won't happen. Anyway sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. But thanks for the help.

posted Hide Post
You won't have any difficulty selling the 15 round magazines.

You can put an extended mag base on them, but they still won't fit into the full size grip module, because the 15 round is too short, and an extended base that attaches to a 15 round mag will still be too short. The lower lip of the mag where the base plate attaches doesn't change simply because you're using an extended (extra capacity) baseplate. The overall mag is longer with the extended baseplate, but the extended baseplate still fits to the bottom of the 15 round mag. This means it won't fit into the full size or carry grip module.

Pick up some 17 round magazines from Greg Cote: you can buy the ACT Armscor mags for twenty two bucks, and run them as is or with an extended baseplate like the Taran Tactical +5's.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/s...-rd-3209-p-2047.html

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
You won't have any difficulty selling the 15 round magazines.

You can put an extended mag base on them, but they still won't fit into the full size grip module, because the 15 round is too short, and an extended base that attaches to a 15 round mag will still be too short. The lower lip of the mag where the base plate attaches doesn't change simply because you're using an extended (extra capacity) baseplate. The overall mag is longer with the extended baseplate, but the extended baseplate still fits to the bottom of the 15 round mag. This means it won't fit into the full size or carry grip module.

Pick up some 17 round magazines from Greg Cote: you can buy the ACT Armscor mags for twenty two bucks, and run them as is or with an extended baseplate like the Taran Tactical +5's.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/s...-rd-3209-p-2047.html

Thanks, I realized the problem of the mags are just too fat after adding extensions. I never did this or have any experience with extensions before so I had no idea but it all makes sense now.

You mention Greg Cote and the Act Armscor $22 mags, Have you owned them. Hows the quality? $22 17 round mags are a great price if they are good quality.

posted Hide Post
I have a couple dozen of them, or so, with about half using Taran Tactical +5 bases (and Tarano's extra power mag springs).

Stock, they work fine, and they have the beveled dog ears, so will work in all the P320 grip modules (unlike the older mag baseplates).

the older mags were made for the original grip module, and it's a frequent question here (and elsehwere) about how to use them in grip modules like the wilson, etc. Current Sig mags work fine, and use bevelled dog ears on the mag base plates; the Armscor (ACT) mags use beveled bases, too.

I do note that the ACT mags have a slight bit of play between the mag extensions when used, and the base of the mag body. With rounds in the mag, it doesn't make any difference, and functionally it makes no difference.

I run Sig 21 round, and both Sig 17 and ACT 17 round mags with the Taran bases. There are other good bases, too; the taran tactical are just what I happen to run. I use these in competition; they've run without incident, equally as well as the factory mags.

I'd suggest buying one or two and wringing them out. They're half the price of sig factory mags. I prefer to have at least 10 spare mags for every handgun, so just the savings in the mags adds up quickly. Alternately, beat up the ACT mags at the range and save your factory for carry. I wouldn't have any concern running factory, or the ACT mags, for carry.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjc:
I just hate having lots of gun parts ( mags) all over the place not serving any purpose any more.

I can more than empathize with this. I've been going through and trying to sort out all my "gun stuff" recently and I've got all kinds of stuff that I either can't use, don't use, won't need, or pick your reason. Sounds like you and I both need to sell off some surplus gear.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Id say just keep them around along with a compact grip module...you never know when you might want something with a smaller profile for carry, and the P320 makes it easy to swap the grip modules back and forth. Options are nice.

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I have a couple dozen of them, or so, with about half using Taran Tactical +5 bases (and Tarano's extra power mag springs).

Stock, they work fine, and they have the beveled dog ears, so will work in all the P320 grip modules (unlike the older mag baseplate

the older mags were made for the original grip module, and it's a frequent question here (and elsehwere) about how to use them in grip modules like the wilson, etc. Current Sig mags work fine, and use bevelled dog ears on the mag base plates; the Armscor (ACT) mags use beveled bases, too
I do note that the ACT mags have a slight bit of play between the mag extensions when used, and the base of the mag body. With rounds in the mag, it doesn't make any difference, and functionally it makes no difference.
I run Sig 21 round, and both Sig 17 and ACT 17 round mags with the Taran bases. There are other good bases, too; the taran tactical are just what I happen to run. I use these in competition; they've run without incident, equally as well as the factory mags.
I'd suggest buying one or two and wringing them out. They're half the price of sig factory mags. I prefer to have at least 10 spare mags for every handgun, so just the savings in the mags adds up quickly. Alternately, beat up the ACT mags at the range and save your factory for carry. I wouldn't have any concern running factory, or the ACT mags, for carry.

Thanks so much you've solved my problem!!!! I too like the Sig 21 round mags. I've been out of shooting in competition for some time now,
problems with my right thumb joints that looks like it won't be resolved, so competitive shooting looks to be gone.

I had 3 vices cars, guns and watches. since selling my last car, messing with cars are also out now, so guns and watches will fill in the spaces. I'll be heading over to pick up some ACT mags. Thanks a bunch. JC

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by jjc:
I just hate having lots of gun parts ( mags) all over the place not serving any purpose any more.

I can more than empathize with this. I've been going through and trying to sort out all my "gun stuff" recently and I've got all kinds of stuff that I either can't use, don't use, won't need, or pick your reason. Sounds like you and I both need to sell off some surplus gear.

HAHA! you bet it's a problem I made the fatal error of going through some boxes stashed in the garage, hell if I sell all the STUFF I could buy a couple more guns Smile now that should give me enough incentive to GET ER DONE!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Id say just keep them around along with a compact grip module...you never know when you might want something with a smaller profile for carry, and the P320 makes it easy to swap the grip modules back and forth. Options are nice.

Funny you say that, I have these mags stored in 8 extra compact grip modules that I'm no longer using. Maybe it was a bad idea for Sig to come out with a modular gun huh, na it's one of the best things Sig has done, it keeps me busy, I really like the 320 platform. I've purchased another 320 and am waiting for my FFL to call me to pick it up. Since I purchased a Sig p365 SAS and one of the originals I've changed over to carry and X5 full size 320's. Ah yes the list goes on!!! Ops I just received a Walther PDP 4 1/2" full size, a real nice gun also.