SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Legion trade....

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
P229 Legion trade.... Login/Join 
posted
I have a P225A1, P226s X5 Tactical, 2-P320 Carrys in various configs w/wo optics plus a Staccato-P. I'm approaching 80. I rarely carry.

I love the Staccato-P for its craftsmanship, accuracy and soft shooting. But I now have no use for a full sized gun; for my current lifestyle, this is a boat anchor.

A LGS offered me a trade for a P229 Legion DA/SA and I have to kick in a few bucks. I expected that and IMO it's a reasonable transaction given where I live.

I think I'd like to do it. I'm getting a gun that pairs well with my P225A1. My X5 remains my range/competition gun. The P320s can be reconfigured to just about any other use and the Romeo1 Pro is helping diagnose my POA/POI variances :-)

I started with Sig way back when with a P229 .40 when I transitioned from .357 revolvers.

The compact footprint has always worked for me.

Am I off my tracks wanting to trade the full sized Staccato-P 2011 9mm for the P229 Legion?

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slkyDAO:

A LGS offered me a trade for a P229 Legion DA/SA and I have to kick in a few bucks. I expected that and IMO it's a reasonable transaction given where I live.

Local markets vary.

If you think you'll do about the same selling the Staccato elsewhere and buying the Legion separately this will save you some time.

Can't really say as I have no interest in either, but be sure to keep your P226.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see...trade off a popular $2500 pistol for an overhyped marketing ploy of a P229 "valued" at a hyperinflated $1400+/-, and on top of that throw in some additional funds to boot. Unless I'm missing something and there's something seriously wrong with your Staccato, financially this is a horrible deal.

But if you're in love with the idea of owning that Legion, who am I to say how good is it for you. But this is one deal I myself would never do, as much of a P229 fan as I am.

EDIT: I should add that it seems pretty clear that your dealer is using the typical "50 cents on the dollar" rule. Except that shouldn't apply here, at least to that extreme extent. Given his potential margin on a used Staccato P, he should have plenty of latitude to give you more value on your gun and still have plenty left over to fatten his own coffers handsomely than simply selling a P229 Legion alone.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Horrible trade, as monoblok explained.

Even if I love the Legion, I wouldn't make that trade. I would sell the Staccato in a private sale then buy the Legion.

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
monoblok is right in both his reasoning and conclusion. That's a horrible deal...It would be a bad deal straight up, and unthinkable that you should have to add cash on top of the Stacatto.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
While we all have to make a living, it does seem like a great deal for the LGS. I was going to send you an email with a real offer but your email is not in your profile. Bottom line is I would expect the win-win would be more like $500 and the 229 for your Staccato.

My 2 cents worth about half that…

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
But it’s NOT a reasonable transaction anywhere Sir. Lol, they want you to kick in cash too? I’d never go in that store again! If you really want a P Series legion, Sell your 2011 privately. Your 2011 is worth soooo much more than a legion. They should be giving you $500 on top of the Legion..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that this is probably not a good trade.

Is your Staccato P an optics cut gun? If it's an iron sight model ($1999 retail), the gap narrows a little, but there's just no way this trade should involve you paying any cash.

Your gun would probably sell well here or on any other forum.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Report This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to list it in the classified section of the forum.

Fishing for bites in the pistol section is frowned upon and you'd be better served selling the Staccato.

Good luck.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post