SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who is shooting .38 Super?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is shooting .38 Super? Login/Join 
posted
Folks,

Am having a custom .38 Super built. Not only that, but it will have a secondary barrel fitted i 9mm Parabellum. Whole thing will be done by a Marine 2112 armorer. It should be done about June. Here's what it will look like:

Posts: 2443 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I am.

Got a few 2011s, Glocks, and a P227.

Let us know when yours comes in and your thoughts about shooting it.

Posts: 9223 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Only .38 Super I have and shoot is my American P-220. I actually shoot it better than my P-220's in .45 acp.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36860 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I can't believe there are so few people shooting this fine cartridge.

Wes

Posts: 2443 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
My regular carry round and has been for around 15 years.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 881 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I have an RIA 1911 in 38 Super that I haven’t taken to the range in quite a while. A pussycat, and I need to take it to a good gunsmith for a few tweaks.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks in Mexico? I have one buddy who shoots 38 Super. Great round. Not much penetration into the US market but Colt sure makes some awesome looking 1911 custom 38 Super - El Diablo, El Toro, tons of ornate inscribed samples.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 24, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting it for years. My absolute favorite caliber along with my DW Guardian.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 710 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always desired a Colt 1911 all Stainless Steel Combat Commander in 38 Super. The ones they made in the late 80s/early 90s bring big money these days and are hard to find to boot.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the thread drift, but this seems to be my chance. I know nothing about the 38Super....why do folks like it ?? Educate me, please.....

Posts: 1284 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I understand:
1. Closer to 357 magnum performance than other cartridges available in an auto at the time.
2. Fits better in the 1911 size pistols than 9mm as it's a longer bullet. No stupid spacer in the mag
3. Better barrier penetration than the big dumb 45 it was competing with (car doors and such).
4. Increased capacity compared to 45.

As to its modern day use, I have no idea. I don't own one, but its somewhere towards the bottom of the list of things I'm interested in acquiring. I have a couple 357 sigs that fill basically the same niche for me.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2761 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
I've always desired a Colt 1911 all Stainless Steel Combat Commander in 38 Super. The ones they made in the late 80s/early 90s bring big money these days and are hard to find to boot.

You mean like this one. Big Grin? This one was touched up by Don Williams at Action Works.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ that’s a beautiful pistol Doc.

I recently got a 9mm 1911 and it is like a toy wrt recoil. I imagine a 38Super would be just a tad more.

I’ve been thinking about getting one. My FIL shoots a 38supercomp in USPSA and I’ve shot his, but he’s pushing the limits and he doesn’t reload his brass due to the loads he’s using.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11363 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This my Ruger CMD .45 ACP with my Colt Series 70 Combat Commander upper in .38 Super mounted. I did the work originally on a Colt Series 70 Combat Commander over 30 years ago, and IIRC, all I had to change out was the ejector and magazines.

As it stands the unit works with both my current Ruger CMD and the original Colt Combat Commander, it's totally reliable with both, but occasionally won't lock the slide back when the magazine empties.

The .38 Supper upper unit and one just like it in 9mm Luger, cost me $100 if memory serves. The 9mm works just as well and both are just a bit less accurate than the original .45 (~3" groups at 25 yds vs. 2+ for the .45 ACP...Twenty years later when Ciener was offering his .22 LR conversion units for 1911's, I bought one for this gun as well, making it a 4-caliber 1911....pretty handy, all told.

Ands BTW the Colt .38 bbl. is outstanding with a 124 gr Missouri Bullet Co. LSWC., feeds beautifully and cuts those lovely round holes in target paper!! Here it is with the .38 upper installed.

Best regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 736 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve always wanted a double stack 38super in a pistol such as an HK P2000 or a CZ PCR or other LtWt compact double/single action. I’m surprised a manufacturer hasn’t produced one.

Posts: 1614 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
^^^
There is a very valid reason nobody will ever put .38 Super is a pistol such as a HK P2000. The loaded round overall length is in the range of .45ACP length.
It simply will not fit in the pistol or magazines in the 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG class of pistols and magazines.

You'll need to start out with a pistol and magazine front to rear length in the 10mm and .45ACP range.

I run .38 Lapua (true rimless .38 Super) in an Infinity 2011.
True rimless tends to feed/function more reliably then .38 Super which is a semi rimmed cartridge.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1556 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I shot one (627-4 PC) for years in USPSA but retired it in favor of a 929...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pizza Bob,

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1455 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I shoot it and also collect the ammo, and have some issued to the OSS during WWII. I have shot it in Colts, Sigs, and S&W/Colt .357 Magnum revolvers like the Model 28 and Python. Yes, that will work in some revolvers with some factory ammo, in spite of people who have never tried it saying otherwise.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1863 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A .38 Super is one of my favorite 1911s. I find it to be a practical and effective caliber, especially as an outdoors gun.

My own is a vanilla Series 80 Colt that I had Kent Singletary do some work on:

Wilson hammer/sear set, grip safety, slide stop, and extractor; Kensight BoMar clone low mount and dovetail tritium dot front sight; Harrison medium length trigger. I believed I used an EGW mainspring housing to replace the Colt part. I had Kent install a Kart barrel and bushing I had on hand.

Kent did a slight rounding of the butt and mag well bevel, cut the barrel flush to the bushing and recrowned, and stippled the front strap and mainspring housing. Finally, he finished the upper in his "TAF-1" finish (which has held up far better than my expectations) and sent the frame to Robar for an electroless nickel finish.

Posts: 790 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P220 American in 38 Super that has seen some range time. It is an enjoyable combination. Much less snap and blast than a P226 in 357 Sig. More of a push and not much more than 9 mm in the same P220 pistol.

The P220 was my daughter's favorite pistol until she got a Berretta 92G LTT, which has such an amazing trigger.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post