Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SP101 Login/Join 
Picture of Beretta92
posted
Came across a Ruger SP101 2 1/2" 357 Magnum for a price good enough to put money down on it
I have till July 1st to pick it up = First day of Constitutional Carry in Indiana to Celebrate the ruling finally passing & the Governor signing it into law

Posts: 1861 | Location: Clarksville Indiana | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My three inch SP101 .357 is one of my favorites. Had an action job done, hammer spur removed and changed to DA only.

About 20 years ago I was using it weekly with my LGC defensive group. I could easily hold my own shooting poppers at seven yards against guys shooting 1911's. Gotta lotta weird looks. Wink

BTW, may want to resize your pic...humongous.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Found a three inch 327 when they first came out.

You'll like yours as well.

I wouldn't be able to wait until July. Wink

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is the Wiley Clapp model. Much better sights. The SP-101 is a great gun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have much restraint, if you can wait until July to pick it up. Eek

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Loved mine. Another one I wish I hadn’t sold.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I bought my first 2.25” SP101 back in 1998 or so, for my wife Wink who has issues manipulating a semi-auto.

Absolutely fell in love, the weight soaks up full load .357 recoil and it is built like the proverbial brick shit-house.

Unfortunately it was stolen in a burglary in 2007 or so, I keep hoping to get the call that it has been recovered. It was replaced with another one, as my wife demanded I do so (who am I to argue?).

I had a real dilemma a few years ago when I decided to sell my last revolvers (M&P 340, and 640 Pro) along with my .40S&W and .357Sig semi-autos in order to standardize on 9mm and .45ACP.

I really wanted to be done with .38/.357 but really needed to keep my wife happy - perfect timing as while I was facing this dilemma back in 2017 Ruger decided to start making the SP101 in 9mm again Big Grin It was as if the stars aligned. I easily sold my SP101 in .357 and bought not one, but TWO SP101’s in 9mm (His and Hers).

Great thing about the SP101 in 9mm, it works just fine even without moon clips.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I bought mine soon after they quit inscribing 125 grain or above on the barrel. Great gun. Ill never sell it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7961 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to Constitutional Carry, you sure picked a pretty one to do it with. Nice pictures!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I love my 3" in .357, and would love to have one in 9mm as well, but don't see myself spending the current asking prices, if I could find one at all. I picked up an S&W 640 Pro a few months ago and had this nagging thought for a while that I no longer need both it and the SP101. A quick trip to the range pushed that stupid thought from my mind, though. The 640 is a great gun, but that 3" SP101 is just the perfect do anything revolver, and it's not going anywhere.

Posts: 8622 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of them and really like them. Congrats

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One disadvantage of the SP101- for me, anyway- is that the DA trigger pull is longer than that of the J Frame. I find it difficult to shoot accurately.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Found a three inch 327 when they first came out.

You'll like yours as well.

I wouldn't be able to wait until July. Wink

I have one of those as well and love it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I bought one when they first came out, came with the factory laser grips. Like it a lot, It's now my wifes nightstand gun. She shoots it very well with .38 +p ammo.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife loves her SP101 but it is in 327 Federal Mag caliber.

Posts: 1256 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
I have a sp101 in 38 3" barrel it was my wife's I keep it for sentimental value. Excuse the clutter this my only picture of it.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted one with a bobbed hammer.

Posts: 3447 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

Those are nice, and DA only. You can buy the DA only, bobbed hammer from Ruger. It's an easy install.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
That's what I have. Neat revolver.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like mine but have only shot 38 special. I am sure that it would handle 357 magnum easily enough.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post