SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My beater P226
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My beater P226 Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Looks like a good candidate for the Sig Service package. They'll detail strip it and give it a bath, then reassemble it with new springs. For another $99, they will refinish the slide.

Good luck with her Smile

Bruce

this..you would definitely be getting your money's worth on the slide refinish!!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That one's been rode hard and put away wet. As long as it functions fine, I say rock and roll with it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just the type of Sig I look for!
CoyoteKiller is your new friend.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About refinishing- would I going to have to address the condition first, or is this something attended to by the refinisher?

The slide is pretty chewed up, I don't think a simple parkerizing or coat of paint will hide that. I admit I don't know how much a bead blast will help.

Posts: 12 | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twistedstang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
I'd get a spring kit for it, and call it good. The spring kit will have the missing grip screw you need too. If it works and it's ugly, it simply works. No need to refinish anything, it'll just look refinished after it's done.

I would love it just the way it is and be proud to own and shoot it!!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...sauer-p226-9mm-luger

This! Don't cover up the guns history with spray paint. (Sorry ceramacote fans).

Posts: 108 | Location: Port Huron MI | Registered: March 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twistedstang:
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
I'd get a spring kit for it, and call it good. The spring kit will have the missing grip screw you need too. If it works and it's ugly, it simply works. No need to refinish anything, it'll just look refinished after it's done.

I would love it just the way it is and be proud to own and shoot it!!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...sauer-p226-9mm-luger

This!
Quick questions for the board, as you guys know this gun more than I do-

this is a 1990 P226, I guess that makes it an "old" one. There are 2 kits, one at Midway, one at Top Gun Supply- which one is better (if either)?

In looking at the actual screw issue, I have checked screws online, and there are some complaints that some screws do not fit. Is there a change in the size or thread that I need to be aware of? I know it's not a lot of money, but I don't want to buy a set of screws that don't fit this gun. Thanks

I do like the gun as-is, I think I won't do much more than maintain it for the time being... Smile

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I hate to put a damper on the whole renovation concept but, by the time you go through the full service, refinishing and shipping, on top of what you spent for the pistol, you’d be pushing the price you could have spent on a P226 CPO (SIG Certified Pre-Owned) gun that’s like new with a warranty. And, judging from your photos, I don’t believe you could ever refinish the frame and slide to a point that would compare to a CPO.

You’ve already determined it functions and shoots well. If I were you, I’d just clean it up, replace the springs and go from there. You’d have a nice ‘sleeper’ pistol that nobody would want to rip off and you wouldn’t have to treat with tender-loving care. I’m always amazed by the number of times I’ve seen guys complete a ‘project’ gun and then, when they’re finished, they don’t shoot it, thinking they want to keep it pristine. Plus, you won’t ever recover that expense, as most gun buyers don’t give as much value to refinished guns as original stock guns in good condition.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1st generation Sig P226 had .115" diameter grip screws - M3(3mm)x 0.5mm pitch screwed into a steel bushing.

The newer style is .153" diameter - M4 (4mm)x 0.7mm

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch it, other than replacing springs, sights And grip screw. It has loads of character you could never replicate. Refinished Sigs are plentiful. I have plenty of guns that look Brand new, so would love to have one that look like that in the collection.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That's so nasty it looks good. Love it. Cool

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Oh hell yes keep that old girl just the way she is. She's perfect! Some new parts, maybe new night sights if you want them, and she'll treat you fine.

Good buy!

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by batex:
I wouldn't touch it, other than replacing springs, sights And grip screw. It has loads of character you could never replicate. Refinished Sigs are plentiful. I have plenty of guns that look Brand new, so would love to have one that look like that in the collection.

I agree!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the change of springs and add the missing grip screw. Maybe sights, although I do like the traditional sights on the older models.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did some looking, and the grip screws in the kits seem to be the newer ones. I have the older one with the bushing and narrower screw.

Numrich had it, so I ordered one. I haven't seen others, except for some aftermarket stainless steel ones on ebay, and I don't want to chance stripping the bushing out.

Guess I'll have to find the springs separate, no big deal

Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
scoobysnacker,

Are you sure about the grip screws? I too have a KA P226 and the newest style grip screws work perfectly. If I were you, I'd just send it in for the SIG Service Plan for peace of mind. Then later, maybe send the slide only to CCR. They will make it look brand new again. Their finishes are also extremely wear and corrosion resistant. If you wait for the sales on both services, you'd still be right around the $500 mark and have a great looking pistol, that will more than likely outlast you.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
scoobysnacker,

Are you sure about the grip screws? I too have a KA P226 and the newest style grip screws work perfectly. If I were you, I'd just send it in for the SIG Service Plan for peace of mind. Then later, maybe send the slide only to CCR. They will make it look brand new again. Their finishes are also extremely wear and corrosion resistant. If you wait for the sales on both services, you'd still be right around the $500 mark and have a great looking pistol, that will more than likely outlast you.
Well, I took the others out when I removed the grips to clean the gun. They are the old ones, with the bushing like a 1911. They look like this

The ones in the kits look different, either the head is smaller, or the diameter and threads are larger.

posted Hide Post
Love the looks of your 226. I'd send it back to the MotherShip for an SSP and slide refinish and leave it at that. You got a good deal.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanting to update- I went ahead and tried to clean the gun up as best I could, appearance-wise, without being too aggressive.
I very carefully filed the worst pitted areas clean, then progressively sanded it to try to hide any alteration from the original. There were limits to what I could do, as some of the pitting was deeper than the engraving... for example, on the left side of the slide, I have almost lost the Sig Sauer stamping.

Afterwards, I tossed some cheap cold blue on it, as a temporary finish while I decide which way to go. Won't hurt anything, and it gives me a better look at how my work appears vs the original appearance.

My ultimate goal is to restore this to original, so I don't want to cerakote or parkerize unless all other avenues are fruitless. I think a rust-blue is in the future for this gun, as soon as I get comfortable with the process. I did post on some other boards, so if this looks like a dupicate of something you've read elsewhere, it is!

As an aside- I was able to pick up a gray Sigarms case, that seems to be the correct box for the gun. $5 at the LGS, which I thought was a good deal.

pics

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Most excellent job! Cool

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great as you have it now (originally as well, but nice work you did to it).

I would leave it just as it is.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post